Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

Bojo has just closed London down they go in too this NEW tier 4 he's addressing England right now 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55379220

From midnight tonight the order is too stay at home for all 32 Borough of London all non essential shops too now close also the 5 day Xmas bubble is scrapped too jus 1 day

Edited by Gavin82
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

More than ageing?

I think probably since many people are living longer. 

I think they meant a virus or war or whatever horrors humans have indured.

It's just so damn sad that so many people have lost their lives to this horrible virus. And yet many morons are still complaining about masks and staying away from crowds. Whatever. I think if they get ill they shouldn't get medical treatment for being so stupid and selfish.

2 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

Wales now goes in too FULL LOCKDOWN from midnight tonight

Gov Abbott of Texas said he won't shut down again. Texas hospitals are overrun with the virus and there aren't many ICU beds left to treat patients. At least many medical personnel got their first covid vaccine last week. I hope it keeps them safe and I really wish the death toll and covid patients would start slowing down, but it just seems winter has made this virus more potent.

4 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

My grandparents got vaccinated today. They live in a town which usually makes the 'crap places to live' list, so am impressed with how quickly it's reached them.

are they in a senior home?  My parents are over 65 and have pre-existing conditions, but they are still waiting for their vaccine.

4 hours ago, Ratam said:

Fixed 😀

Well, it's up to their leaders to get the vaccines for them. That's one of the problems with many of their nations. Poor leadership or not giving a damn.

2 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

are they in a senior home?  My parents are over 65 and have pre-existing conditions, but they are still waiting for their vaccine.

Sorry that it hasn't made it to your grandparents yet. I think they get very little notice for when they are invited for the vaccination. It could happen very soon and they wouldn't know for more than a few days beforehand. 

My grandparents are over 80. They probably got it fairly sharpish as my grandad is in and out for hospital care anyway. My grandmother expected a further wait as she's with a different GP. However it wouldn't be unlike her to cheekily ask if she could go at the same time as my grandad. 

1 hour ago, action said:

why don't they build more hospitals?

then, hospitals wouldn't fill up so quickly, problem solved.

the solution is so glaringly obvious, but it's the last on the politician's minds.

Not sure we'd have enough medical professionals to fill them though? And what would those hospitals do when theres not a great need such as during a pandemic?

Plus, for some reason some people hate when their governments spends money on them. Like theyd rather die in a climate crisis hurricane then have taxes or run a deficit.

9 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I think probably since many people are living longer. 

I think they meant a virus or war or whatever horrors humans have indured.

Still no. 418k Americans died in WW2. 

As for other viruses, the flu in 1918 killed more than 600k Americans. 

And people don't die from "old age", they die from heart diseases and cancers  both of which kill >500k Americans annually. 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

They didn't. It's been knocking about since September.

Yeah, yesterday our virologist said they'd found it in 4 samples in the past months here in Belgium and that it was normal for viruses to mutate, as we know, so that it wasn't a specific concern of his. But then today we're closing borders? Mixed signals.

13 minutes ago, Lio said:

Yeah, yesterday our virologist said they'd found it in 4 samples in the past months here in Belgium and that it was normal for viruses to mutate, as we know, so that it wasn't a specific concern of his. But then today we're closing borders? Mixed signals.

That's the part I don't understand. If goverment officials knew a few months ago that this mutation was going on. And it could be 70% more trasmissible. How come nobody said anything before? It was reckless to say the least

The can't say anything before they know the virus has mutated into a more contagious variant. It is not enough to assume. 

And yes, viruses mutate all the time, so you have to verify that the mutations actually result in a more virulent form. And this cannot be understood from simple observing the mutations. We don't know enough to go from sequence changes to function. We need to both observe the mutations and correlate them with a change in virulence. And that takes time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lio said:

I’d speculate that they had identified the mutation back in September but as it was new they didn’t know that it was super infectious until much later as it obviously hadn’t been able to spread. 

• Like 1