Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

CVS and Walgreens will be giving the covid vaccine to all the seniors in the homes next.

Meanwhile, the sick numbers and the death numbers are going up. It seems there's no treatment to stop this damn virus. And all the doctors agree that January is going to be the worse month.

I only wish one of these doctors would have figured this out in March. My doctor knew it was going to be bad and he knew America and the world wasn't handled it correctly. I wish he would have been wrong, but he wasn't.

My wish for Christmas would be for this virus to slow down and possibly start dying with some treatment. Now with a vaccine close at hand, it's migrating into some other virus like it knows what we're trying to do to kill it. I think since it is attacking brains, it might be getting some intelligence now too.

2 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

Wow! amazing. CNN talked to two African American ladies who after 100 days got better. This woman is a miracle.  I can't imagine how different the world must seem to her after she got better. She overcame the odds for sure. She's destine for good things.

5 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Well, it would seem to me this is true since the numbers in a lot of colder places are going up higher than they did in the past months.

My "no" was in response to you concluding from the fact that Covid-19 has reached Antarctica that this must mean it is proven that the virus loves cold weather. It is true that the SARS-CoV-2 spreads more efficiently in cold, dry weather -- like so many other respiratory viruses, including the influenza virus -- but it is wrong to say it is proven just because the virus gets to Antarctica. It is always cold in Antarctica. The reason it got there now is probably to a large extent coincidental.

As this is a place as good to ask as any:

I've been invited to a wedding at the end of April in Spain. 

They are both close friends of mine, and I'd definitely attend in normal times. 

They have said that they might cancel the wedding reception and get married with no guests, if they have to. 

What do you think? 

What should I do? 

I'm particularly adverse to losing cash this year, as we're in the final stages of saving up for a house deposit. So I know I'd need to book fully refundable flights and accommodation. 

But it's really hard to tell if we'll be in a better or worse position than now. What would you do, please? 

1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

They have said that they might cancel the wedding reception and get married with no guests, if they have to. 

What do you think? 

What should I do? 

I'm particularly adverse to losing cash this year, as we're in the final stages of saving up for a house deposit. So I know I'd need to book fully refundable flights and accommodation. 

But it's really hard to tell if we'll be in a better or worse position than now. What would you do, please? 

Some of the airlines were allowing flexible rebooking and cancelations when things were relaxed a bit in October - I think BA allowed you to cancel at anytime with refund if memory serves. There is a variance here between different airlines (I have heard bad stuff about Ryanair) so you'll have to read up on their policies. And there are travel insurance companies that have adapted to the situation, insuring you against corona flight cancellations and so forth. Try https://www.coverforyou.com/.

PS

Free cancellation of course on booking.com and tripadvisor and those type of websites. Sometimes you have to pay an extra tenner I think. This existed during normal times. Think you can cancel very close to the check-in, 24hrs or 48hrs or something similar. 

I was going to Poland. Lost only £6 (circa half of the cancelled travel insurance) from the whole cancelled holiday ultimately. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Now with a vaccine close at hand, it's migrating into some other virus like it knows what we're trying to do to kill it. I think since it is attacking brains, it might be getting some intelligence now too.

You seem like a lovely person but you don't half talk a lot of nonsense.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Some of the airlines were allowing flexible rebooking and cancelations when things were relaxed a bit in October - I think BA allowed you to cancel at anytime with refund if memory serves. There is a variance here between different airlines (I have heard bad stuff about Ryanair) so you'll have to read up on their policies. And there are travel insurance companies that have adapted to the situation, insuring you against corona flight cancellations and so forth. Try https://www.coverforyou.com/.

PS

Free cancellation of course on booking.com and tripadvisor and those type of websites. Sometimes you have to pay an extra tenner I think. This existed during normal times. Think you can cancel very close to the check-in, 24hrs or 48hrs or something similar. 

Thank you DieselDaisy. That all sounds very helpful. I can't control the state of the pandemic, but I can control my bookings. ;)

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My wish for Christmas would be for this virus to slow down and possibly start dying with some treatment. Now with a vaccine close at hand, it's migrating into some other virus like it knows what we're trying to do to kill it. I think since it is attacking brains, it might be getting some intelligence now too.

Brains!!!!! :lol: 

tenor.gif?itemid=14089833

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

What do you think? 

What should I do? 

I've been pessimistic to realistic. I think there is a good chance you will be able to go with ramped up vaccine distribution

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Thank you DieselDaisy. That all sounds very helpful. I can't control the state of the pandemic, but I can control my bookings. ;)

I've booked flights to Bilbao in May. I figure if we aren't on the way out of this by then it means that the vaccine didn't work so we're all fucked anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2020 at 7:23 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Majority of the lorry drivers in Dover are French and/or EU citizens stranded there by Macron's imbecility! A related development however is that dogging has gone through the roof in Kent.

For ''Tier 4'' read ''lockdown'' - it is spin - and tier 3 is borderline lockdown irrespective (pubs/restaurants shut). Much of the country is in those two categories. 

All of Scotland goes into tier 4 on saturday, only supermarkets and food shops open.

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Tested negative, yay.

Have a bit of body aches, back pain, and fatigue. It'll probably go away in a week or so, whatever it is

you'll be fine ZoSoRose. at the end of the day, the chances of getting it, let alone get very sick because of it, are relatively small.

every day that goes by, with not getting it, is a day won.

• Like 1