Ain' Life Grand vs It's 5 o'clock Somewhere

Kranich

22 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Haha, yep 100%!

Pleased to make your day. To be honest that Snakepit album is one of my favourite all time albums. I really wish that lineup had done more together. Slash never sounded as good. The blend of rock and blues suited him perfectly.

Out of interest what were the three tracks? The original album was 12 tracks plus four: there were two bonus tracks on the Japan release (Rusted Heroes, Something About Your Love) and two unreleased tracks from the original promo (What Kind of Life, Bleed) so 16 in total as far as I know. Just want to make sure you’re not missing one.

Thanks,

the 3 I found on Youtube were, Rusted Heroes, Bleed and what kind of life., so I'm off in search of the other 1. Thats fantastic, thank you!

Edited by Andy1981
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Nah. 5 o clock is a great album but I rate WoF,AL and his solo album as higher. 

Tbh I don't dislike anything he's released but I do love some more than others.

:slash:

I know he’s done some more advanced guitar work on some of the later albums (Anastasia etc. iirc), but 5 o’ Clock sounds more consistent, and yes, perhaps more like GNR, it has Matt on it, and one of the most important things is also the singer (can’t stand Myles, sorry). The songs are great, the whole thing works as a unit and I played the hell out of it back in the day. I still have it in my PC, and that’s saying something! Good old uncomplicated yet awesome dirty rock n' roll I'd surely play in the car if I had one! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Nah. 5 o clock is a great album but I rate WoF,AL and his solo album as higher. 

Tbh I don't dislike anything he's released but I do love some more than others.

:slash:

Like you, I love every album he's released but my absolute favorites are Snakepit 1 and Snakepit 2, in this order.

I will say, there's not a single album since it's 5 o'clock somewhere which sounded more like GNR. CD and Contraband included.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Like you, I love every album he's released but my absolute favorites are Snakepit 1 and Snakepit 2, in this order.

I will say, there's not a single album since it's 5 o'clock somewhere which sounded more like GNR. CD and Contraband included.

Yeah there is. It's called Pawnshop Guitars.

36 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Yeah... no :lol:

Just reread the comment I replied to. It's not "since" as Pawnshop Guitars was released one year prior to the first Snakepit album. What I meant was that of all the albums by ex Gunner's that Pawnshop Guitars has the most GN'R feel and sound. Cure Me Or Kill Me is up there with Jungle and YCBM for me.

And hey even if the first Snakepit album is someone's favourite pick for most GN'R sounding solo album Gilby's all over that album with songwriting, guitars and background vocals.

25 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Just reread the comment I replied to. It's not "since" as Pawnshop Guitars was released one year prior to the first Snakepit album. What I meant was that of all the albums by ex Gunner's that Pawnshop Guitars has the most GN'R feel and sound. Cure Me Or Kill Me is up there with Jungle and YCBM for me.

And hey even if the first Snakepit album is someone's favourite pick for most GN'R sounding solo album Gilby's all over that album with songwriting, guitars and background vocals.

It doesn't sound like GNR because of Gilby

6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It doesn't sound like GNR because of Gilby

It's Five O Clock Somewhere? I didn't say he should get all the credit. Just pointed out that he deserves some of the credit for his contributions. 

It's funny tho. Gilby wasn't an original GN'R member like Izzy was. But none of Izzy's albums sound like GN'R at all. Whereas Gilby's albums do have a bit of the GN'R sound.

6 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

It's Five O Clock Somewhere? I didn't say he should get all the credit. Just pointed out that he deserves some of the credit for his contributions. 

It's funny tho. Gilby wasn't an original GN'R member like Izzy was. But none of Izzy's albums sound like GN'R at all. Whereas Gilby's albums do have a bit of the GN'R sound.

Sorry dude, with all due respect and without discrediting Gilby, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Gilby did a good job but he wasn't responsible for the GNR sound at all.

Comparing his work to Izzy's is also laughable in regards to the sound of GNR. I don't know what you have listened to but that's not what I've heard from those guys.

Edited by Free Bird

29 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Sorry dude, with all due respect and without discrediting Gilby, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Comparing his work to Izzy's is also laughable in regards to the sound of GNR. I don't know what you have listened to but that's not what I've heard from those guys.

You clearly didn't read or understand what I wrote. I never said Gilby was part of the GN'R sound. We all know that Izzy was the original rhythm guitarist and Gilby just replaced him. I said that (and this is just my opinion) out of all the solo albums by GN'R members Gilby's are the most GN'R sounding. Which yes is ironic to me considering he wasn't an original Gunner.

It's not laughable to compare Izzy and Gilby. They're both singers, songwriters and guitarists. And they both played in GN'R. 

We're allowed to have opinions that are different to each other. Indeed that's why we have forums and discussion groups. It's patronizing and condescending telling someone they have no idea what they're talking about purely cos they offer up a different opinion. I've followed GN'R, Izzy, Gilby etc since the start. 

By the way. Just cos you open with the words "with all due respect" it doesn't mean it's ok to follow that with disrespect. That's what you call a paradox 😉.

Edited by Gunner Gilby

1 minute ago, Gunner Gilby said:

You clearly didn't read or understand what I wrote. I never said Gilby was part of the GN'R sound. We all know that Izzy was the original rhythm guitarist and Gilby just replaced him. I said that (and this is just my opinion) out of all the solo albums by GN'R members Gilby's are the most GN'R sounding. Which yes is ironic to me considering he wasn't an original Gunner.

It's not laughable to compare Izzy and Gilby. They're both singers, songwriters and guitarists. And they both played in GN'R. 

We're allowed to have opinions that are different to each other. Indeed that's why we have forums and discussion groups. It's patronizing and condescending telling someone they have no idea what they're talking about purely cos they offer up a different opinion. I've followed GN'R, Izzy, Gilby etc since the start. 

a big chunk of the Gn'R sound is present in Izzy's solo albums imo.

15 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Its good, but doesn't Apocalyptic Love fit the best non_gnr album description? 

Honestly, I don't even remember it. Which is not to say it is bad, it's just that... I don't even remember it. Which speaks for itself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

By the way. Just cos you open with the words "with all due respect" it doesn't mean it's ok to follow that with disrespect. That's what you call a paradox 😉.

I understood very well and I disagree. Yu Yu Hounds and 5 o clock sound both definitely more like GNR than Pawnshop Guitars.

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I agree you didn't read carefully what Gunner wrote bruh. I think Pawnshop has more GNR sound due to Slash's 'riffery' Gilby got influenced by, it sounds heavier than any of Izzy's albums (which do have some GNR layering/vibe). I won't say its a better album than Izzy's ones, but blindfolded and without vocals majority would indicate Pawnshop Guitars as more of a GNR work than Ju Ju's albums , I'm sure.

Edited by Ralphelmo

1 hour ago, Ralphelmo said:

I agree you didn't read carefully what Gunner wrote bruh. I think Pawnshop has more GNR sound due to Slash's 'riffery' Gilby got influenced by, it sounds heavier than any of Izzy's albums (which do have some GNR layering/vibe). I won't say its a better album than Izzy's ones, but blindfolded and without vocals majority would indicate Pawnshop Guitars as more of a GNR work than Ju Ju's albums , I'm sure.

I still have to disagree. Izzy's record sounds like his work in GNR because of the sceleton of the songs, the chord progressions, the well written songs. His parts aren't as highlighted as Slash's lead guitar but it's all there. It's the sound of GNR, a significant part of the sound, these are Izzy's contributions and when I'm comparing it to another record, then I have to compare it to his work, not to Slash's.

I haven't listened to Pawnshop Guitars in a while but when I last did, neither the rhythm section sounded more like GNR to me than JuJu Hounds nor the lead guitar and the riffing sounded more like GNR than It's 5 O'clock Somewhere. 

5 o' clock has the signature Slash sound, the riffing, the rawness, the leads. Who am I telling this...:lol:

• Like 1