Ain' Life Grand vs It's 5 o'clock Somewhere

Kranich

Hi everyone,

Somehow I've always been avoiding Snakepit albums. However recently there was a contest in one of our polish radios in which you had to recognize Slash songs from small snippets so I listened to the records. 

Always heard a lot of praises about 5 o'clock but few about ALG. Its a tad strange to me as from these two I consider ALG to be much superior album.

Thats why I wanted to ask you a question, which one do you prefer and why?

• Like 1

My impression was always that ALG is the favorite Slash record for most on this forum. Well, it's my second favorite right after I5OCS.

ALG is absolutely great but 5 o'clock is full of the rock n roll I love and I think the songs flow better and are more soulful. 

Again, most people here prefer Rod Jackson as a singer compared to Eric Dover but to me Dover sang more natural.

All in all it's close but clear imo...

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

when you think that some riff of it's 5 O Clock somewhere wer supose to be for GNR and Axl didn't want them !!! ;(

according to Axl, Slash said no changes to the Snakepit material so if true, it's not accurate he didn't want the riffs, I think he felt some of it had potential.

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

according to Axl, Slash said no changes to the Snakepit material so if true, it's not accurate he didn't want the riffs, I think he felt some of it had potential.

That makes no sense at all. He didn't even had lyrics for all the songs.

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

pretty sure this is what Axl said though and it's possible Slash was talking about the instrumentals

I remember him saying that. I think it was in the chats. I just didnt buy that because, to me, that didn't make sense. But probably you're right and they were talking about the instrumentals. Like no adding of synthesizers and creepy sound effects... or something like this.

But if that was the case, it still makes no sense. Axl refused to work on the songs, because Slash said no changes. But later Axl changed his mind and was willing to work on three of them. If Slash said no changes, which is very unlikely, why would he agree later to let Axl work on a few songs? Do you know what I mean? Axl's version is contradictory. The most likely scenario is that Axl didn't want these songs because he wanted to move on from this kind of rock... he even called it southern rock. So he rejected them. And later he probably liked some of it but it was too late, like Slash said, because he already recorded them.

Edited by Free Bird

17 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Pretty sure Slash wrote most of the lyrics to Beggars, we certainly know who they're directed towards. And I just can't stand Dover's voice.

Slash: I'm falling all to pieces and can't get out of bed because you're promised to a wealthy man

Axl: :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I remember him saying that. I think it was in the chats. I just didnt buy that because, to me, that didn't make sense. But probably you're right and they were talking about the instrumentals. Like no adding of synthesizers and creepy sound effects... or something like this.

But if that was the case, it still makes no sense. Axl refused to work on the songs, because Slash said no changes. But later Axl changed his mind and was willing to work on three of them. If Slash said no changes, which is very unlikely, why would he agree later to let Axl work on a few songs? Do you know what I mean? Axl's version is contradictory. The most likely scenario is that Axl didn't want these songs because he wanted to move on from this kind of rock... he even called it southern rock. So he rejected them. And later he probably liked some of it but it was too late, like Slash said, because he already recorded them.

as I understand it, Axl heard the Snakepit tapes which Slash considered to be the next Guns album (instrumentally) Axl didn't like it and rejected it initially, Duff didn't like it as well. I think Axl must have liked some of it later, maybe after listening to it again cause he told Slash 2 weeks later or whatever that he wanted to use some of it but it was too late cause Slash completed it.

it does have a southern rock feel to it, not sure how that would have worked in a Guns context.

Edited by Rovim

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

as I understand it, Axl heard the Snakepit tapes which Slash considered to be the next Guns album (instrumentally) Axl didn't like it and rejected it initially, Duff didn't like it as well. I think Axl must have liked some of it later, maybe after listening to it again cause he told Slash 2 weeks later or whatever that he wanted to use some of it but it was too late cause Slash completed it.

Yeah that's basically what I wrote before and how I understand it.

The question is, when should Slash have told Axl not to change anything? Only possibility is when he first showed the songs to Axl, right?

Then Axl rejected them and knew Slash didn’t want changes. But that doesn't fit the story that Axl changed his mind and was willing to work on some of them. Had Slash told Axl no changes, it wouldn't matter if Axl changed his opinion.

I hope it's understandable what I'm trying to say :lol:

35 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Yeah that's basically what I wrote before and how I understand it.

The question is, when should Slash have told Axl not to change anything? Only possibility is when he first showed the songs to Axl, right?

Then Axl rejected them and knew Slash didn’t want changes. But that doesn't fit the story that Axl changed his mind and was willing to work on some of them. Had Slash told Axl no changes, it wouldn't matter if Axl changed his opinion.

I hope it's understandable what I'm trying to say :lol:

yeah I understand, but just because Slash allegedly said it doesn't mean Axl changing his mind wouldn't matter. For example, according to Axl, Slash and Duff said absolutely not to working on November Rain and Estranged initially but Axl convinced them to do it anyway so maybe he thought he could convince Slash to rework it.

edit: not sure when Slash said no changes according to Axl

Edited by Rovim

ALG for full album. I5OCS for rewinding and listening to riffs over and over 🙂

Also think I prefer kind of the “opposite” of songs from each album. Shine and Back to The Moment as those slow soulful songs, and then Monkey Chow for starting workouts and Doin’ Fine for pissing off my cranky neighbor 😎

Controversial take: Serial killer is where I might go “let’s do The Truth instead” 🥸

17 hours ago, Rovim said:

it does have a southern rock feel to it, not sure how that would have worked in a Guns context.

Well GNR in many ways is Southern Rock Skynyrd Influenced. So it would have been fine. 

Never cared for 5 o'clock.  Some good riffs, sure, but in a whole it's pretty generic. I put it in the same category as a Gilby Clarke-record. Don't care for Dovers voice either.

I regard ALG as the best non-GNR-album featuring Slash. It oozes with the same type of tightness and looseness as an 70's Aerosmith-album. Maybe it's the Jack Douglas-magic?

• Like 2