who if anyone should Guns N roses bring in to help Axl

should anyone come in to help with axl's vocals  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

as the the title of this thread says should anyone come in should melissa  do all the high parts does Carrie stay or do they bring someone else like Baz (sebastian bach) to help or does Axl push on his own?

Because after last night he might need someone to help

Edited by kingcanyon

They just have to promote Melissa's role in the band.

Carrie Underwood would be a good idea for the high notes but she's to busy with her own touring shedule. 

Edited by Sosso

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Assuming this isn't just temporary, I'd rather that Axl sang in a lower register on those songs where that works and simply removed the left from the setlist.

They can't get rid of songs like SCOM or Estranged. That's why people go to the gigs. Those songs make the most money. 

They should promote Melissa to do some co-lead vocals. That would would be the best solution. 

• Like 1

Assuming this lasts for couple of next shows, I'd like Axl to sing in lower octaves. Let Melissa do more backing vocals to add some highs where needed. Adjust the setlist.

As for the future, I'd like to see adjustments that would follow similar path - Axl to rework his vocal approach a little bit, use more lower voice instead of mickey, rework the setlist.

• Like 3

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Stand aside Axl Rose; it's time for Carrie Underwood or Melissa 'The Rock Icon' Reese to show us how it's done.

"No." - Izzy Stradlin

Do you have a better solution? :shrugs:

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Axl should sing lower and stop running around while singing and they should shorten the set.

The day Axl isn't on vocals is the day GNR needs to stop.

That's why I said co-lead vocals. Melissa can stay behind her keyboard stand while she sings most of the high notes.

8 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Melissa co-lead vocals and do most of the high notes?

Fuck that.

Axl singing like Mickey Mouse / deleting songs from the setlist would be a better solution? 

Fuck that even more. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Do a poll. I guarantee the vast majority agrees with me that the only options are Axl continues on vocals or GNR stops.

You're concerned about the casuals...and you seriously think they'll be happy with Melissa?

Axl would obviously continue doing vocals, just not (all of) the high parts. Melissa already does lots of backing vocals, just mix her and Duff a bit louder and it would sound good.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Then Axl would have to sing them in a lower register. 

I think it all depends on his voice, in the short to maybe medium term he can probably get away with using his high voice for a decent amount of the show still other than on rare nights where he is really struggling like last night. 

No reason why he can't sing SCOM for example and a few other songs in the OG key. Whether attempting songs like BiB and Reckless is such a good idea anymore is the real question.

I just feel Axl may need to be a little smarter with song choices, etc going forwards. Plenty of songs could be added to a setlist that suit his voice still, cut the show length down but obviously keep the real classics, as frankly most of the fans aren't that bothered what they hear providing Jungle, NR, SCOM and Paradise is played at some point. Plenty of other songs could be reworked, Civil War sounded more than acceptable in the lower voice for example.

In the case of songs that have vocal layers (like Locomotive and Madagascar) or harmonies (like the Slither chorus in the GnR version) it would be perfectly fine if Melissa sang the higher layer, since Axl can't do them all himself anyway (and it's definitely preferable from using backing tracks).

But Melissa singing the high notes on the other songs, no... Her backup vocals being turned up a little bit (e.g. like on Civil War last night) would be enough.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sosso said:

They can't get rid of songs like SCOM or Estranged.

They didn’t play Estranged for a lot of years so I don’t really agree.. Although demand for this song is propably a lot higher since Slash came back

There is no need to drop it though, half of a song is in low register

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

That guy was saying Melissa or Carrie Underwood should do 'most' of the high notes.

Adjusting the mix isn't as appalling of an idea but thing is, if it's that bad then that's a bandaid on an open wound. I mean why doesn't he just use auto-tune at that point. Maybe lip sync. He either does it or nobody does.

I wouldn’t mind hearing Melissa do most of the highs, and Axl only does highs/screams in certain songs.

I've been saying it for a while now - they could easily build a 20-25 song setlist around songs that Axl can use his natural voice on, while still including the biggest hits that fans paid to hear. KOHD, Civil War and Nightrain all sounded good with just low vocals.

You're Crazy from the last show was the best they've done in a while - I'd much rather hear Axl sound like that than try to squeek his way through Better, Hardschool, etc.

I've just looked at the London concerts and to be honest he sounded really good to me in his deeper voice. He still sounds like Axl.

I thought that in some songs when Axl sang in his deeper voice and Melissa harmonised with him the effect was like the young Axl singing.

I would be totally happy with him singing like this and also changing the setlist to suit this voice. My impression from seeing GNR multiple times over the years is that most people want the really high moments (SCOM, WTTJ, Patience, Paradise City, ISE)  but all the other songs are negotiable. I'd say NR is also negotiable actually, and it's my favourite song. In Dublin the reaction for the five songs mentioned here (SCOM etc.) was far greater than for the other songs. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

. Maybe lip sync. 

Why would anyone want to go to a show where someone is pretending to sing? The younger generation is very tolerant and accepting of this.  I'd rather see a true live performance, warts and all. Axl lip syncing or Axl dual harmonies with someone taking some of the highs? That shouldn't even be a question.

They should cancel the rest of the tour, stop touring the greatest hits for umpteenth time, Axl should have a rest, and they should work on releasing new fucking music. But since it's GNR, they'll do the exact opposite.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Sad 1

A lot of older singers can't do what they did when they were younger. It's a fact of life, but Axl tries his best and the guy is still magic on stage.

I've heard some performances when Axl was in his 20's and early 30's and by the end of the show his voice was shot. lol 

Anyway, I love watching GNR perform. it's them and that's all that matters.

Geoff Tate of Queensryche said he doesn't perform the early stuff because he can't hit the high notes anymore, so it's just the way it is.

But he's still Axl Rose!

God no you're right if you can't sing at all, give up.

Maybe Axl should try to sing in a different key than the higher notes he did in his early years. Everyone including women's voices change as you age, so maybe he can get a very good vocal coach that can help him change up his voice for some songs now. Otherwise, I honestly just love seeing GNR and just go with it. lol