Should Axl have gone solo? :)

I think he should have. I mean, it would have been nice to see at least one Album with released by AXL, ๐Ÿ˜›maybe an Album called Bitter Sweets,(I could see him coming up with an Album called Bitter Sweets. ๐Ÿ˜›and Fans would know exactly who it is by his distinctive voice and the name and we would love it. ๐Ÿ˜›

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, because even though less people would have cared, it would have been a hell of a lot less pressure on him and we probably would've gotten the album sooner. Also, people wouldn't have judged the album against GNR's prior catalog, meaning it would have likely gotten the respect it deserved.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Nintari said:

Yes, because even though less people would have cared, it would have been a hell of a lot less pressure on him and we probably would've gotten the album sooner. Also, people wouldn't have judged the album against GNR's prior catalog, meaning it would have likely gotten the respect it deserved.

I wonder what would have happened if Axl made Chinese Democracy under an Alter Ego like Garth Brooks did with his Chris Gaines Alter Ego? ๐Ÿ˜› I wonder if Fans would be like,"Who is this Axl Rose Imposter? ๐Ÿ˜›

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Karice said:

I listened to Chinese Democracy and to me it sounds like it's a Solo Axl Rose album with the Guns N'Roses name attached! ๐Ÿ˜›

Yeah, good for you. You Sound like a Teenager instead of a 38 year old for me

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nintari said:

That was unnecessarily rude.

Thank you for supporting me. ๐Ÿ˜›ย 

25 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Yeah, good for you. You Sound like a Teenager instead of a 38 year old for me

ย 

The bubbly way I talk is just my personality.... ๐Ÿ˜›

• Haha 1

You can't change history and you can't change the fact that CD was released under the GN'R name. Just like you can't change the fact that no album Was released since 2008

Edited by Sosso

18 minutes ago, Sosso said:

You can't change history and you can't change the fact that CD was released under the GN'R name. Just like you can't change the fact that no album Was released since 2008

I don't get why Guns N'Roses didn't make a new album in 14 years myself..... ๐Ÿง

1 hour ago, Nintari said:

Yeah I think that while I get Axl had the rights to the name and there are advantages to it in the forum of big label funding, I think that the expectations of how a GNR album *should* sound, worked to the detriment of many people giving CD a chance

Plus who knows, without the big label funding of something attached to the GNR name, maybe less money would have meant Axl had less funds to just randomly throw at re-re-re-recording stuff and it would have resulted in a tighter, more focused album overall too

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sosso said:

His work ethics would have been the same, with or without the GN'R name

Agree, but I get the impression that the pressure of carrying the GNR name has taken its toll on Axl regarding how to handle a music carrer. The guy looked and acted like a completely different artist after the band broke up. Itโ€™s a shame weโ€™ll probably never know how a solo effort would sound like (probably not getting another band effort either) ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ

• Like 1

Iโ€™d say as far as the casuals go, he in fact did.ย 
As for me, well, it definitely would have taken a lot of pressure out of the whole situation, wouldnโ€™t it. But Iโ€™m still glad he stuck to what he believed.ย 
So no, he shouldnโ€™t have. Things were supposed to happen the way they happened โ€“ otherwise, somethingโ€™s telling me they wouldโ€™ve happened a different way. :)

It would definitely have been the easier path either going solo or Axl n Dizzy starting a new band. But since when has Axl been one to do things the easy way. And that's a large part of his appeal. He's uncompromising and does shit his way.ย 

I think an interviewer asked Slash in the mid 90s if he thought Axl would ever make a solo album. Slash explained that he didn't think Axl saw the need to as he (Axl) considered the band his vehicle for his songs.

Using a band name when most of the original band members are gone is always a bit blasphemous to me although sometimes I can get onboard if it's kind of a tribute thing due to deaths etc.ย 

The latest one that really frustrates me is "Pantera".ย 

ย 

So yeah, I think Axl should have gone solo for a decade and done the whole Chinese project and then the reunion.

I think a reunion happens much sooner without all the bad blood that using the name carried.

• Like 2

He basically did go solo but used the GnR name for obvious reasons. ย  But yes if he had gone full solo (divorced himself from the Guns name) he coulda been like Plant and released a bunch of diverse musicโ€ฆgotten that all out of his system then reunited with Guns. ย But here we areโ€ฆ

• Like 3

I honestly believe it would have sold better as a solo album.ย 
ย 

At the time in 2008, I rolled my eyes at CD. I would have given it an honest listen and fair shake right in 2008 released as a solo album. But instead, I scoffed at the album for 2 years before I started to appreciate it.ย 

One of the things I admire about Axl Rose is that he had the balls to keep the name and make a go of it regardless of public opinion. There certainly was a lot of potential there with the players he had at the turn of the Millennium and while the timelines are all fucked with delays etc, the final result in Chinese Democracy holds up really well against the rest of the GNR catalogue and is worthy of the name.ย 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dean said:

One of the things I admire about Axl Rose is that he had the balls to keep the name and make a go of it regardless of public opinion. There certainly was a lot of potential there with the players he had at the turn of the Millennium and while the timelines are all fucked with delays etc, the final result in Chinese Democracy holds up really well against the rest of the GNR catalogue and is worthy of the name.ย 

I like Chinese Democracy too. :)