Why Axl didn t play "Estranged" from 93 to 2011?

On 10/5/2022 at 8:08 AM, megaguns1982 said:

I would have loved to see buckethead or robin play the estranged leads, Ron’s guitar had a really tinny sound about it… it didn’t sound right, I reckon robin would have nailed it given the chance.

Mh, Estranged has a lot of bending going on...not sure about Robin nailing it. :D

On 10/5/2022 at 6:55 PM, BangoSkank said:

Axl losing interest is one of the saddest things to happen to GN'R in my opinion. I think it had to do with Robin leaving, but who knows. I'm so curious what happened between December 2010 & October 2011.

One big thing was the legal conundrum with Irving Azoff. Axl sued in May 2010 and settled in June 2011. Irv wielded power at Ticketmaster and LiveNation (just merged at the time). That meant Guns could only play clubs and festivals stateside while the proceedings went on. I think they had to make a deal about a certain amount of US dates, with a certain amount of those proceeds going to Azoff.

Forced Axl isn't what you call a happy one.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, denin said:

One big thing was the legal conundrum with Irving Azoff. Axl sued in May 2010 and settled in June 2011. Irv wielded power at Ticketmaster and LiveNation (just merged at the time). That meant Guns could only play clubs and festivals stateside while the proceedings went on. I think they had to make a deal about a certain amount of US dates, with a certain amount of those proceeds going to Azoff.

axl had a  very bad time with azoff for me it was the begining of the end of cd era, the 2012 was the end   

41 minutes ago, denin said:

That's honestly a very good point that I hadn't thought of. Probably why there was a co-sponsorship with Monster. 

17 hours ago, denin said:

The fact that Axl didn’t have a rant onstage about Irving is a miracle, but more than likely trying to dodge a defamation lawsuit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

The fact that Axl didn’t have a rant onstage about Irving is a miracle, but more than likely trying to dodge a defamation lawsuit.

Axl crossed paths with someone as litigious as him in Irving. Im certain Axl pushed his boundaries.   

On 10/11/2022 at 9:41 AM, denin said:

They weren’t playing bigger venues because of any lingering issues with Azoff. That’s just what they were drawing and what was available to them after two US tours that were ended prematurely

Edited by guitarpatch

11 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

GN'R wasn't able to tour in the US before Axl settled with Azoff: (84) 31. JANUARY-DECEMBER 2011: TOURING THE AMERICAS (a-4-d.com)

This was likely a big problem to Axl who really wanted to tour CD extensively in the US before he felt he could move on.

If I recall correctly isn't that why they did a fairly extensive run of Canada exclusively in 2010 with no US dates until 2011?

(I'm glad they did. I got TWAT with 2010 vocals.)

7 minutes ago, James Bond said:

If I recall correctly isn't that why they did a fairly extensive run of Canada exclusively in 2010 with no US dates until 2011?

(I'm glad they did. I got TWAT with 2010 vocals.)

Yes, they first toured selected dates in Asia (2009), then went on a large Canadian tour, then headed to South America for a tour, then off to Europe for the summer of '10, then to Australia and back again to South America in Oct '11, before finally touring US in November after the settlement which had happened in June. 

Axl would also later say that even this 2011 US tour had not been as he had wanted it to be, presumably because it came as part of a settlement, and that they first proper touring of CD in the US first took place later.

It's crazy that they first started performing Estranged again in 2011 which doesn't feel that long ago but was actually 11 years ago. The band and perception of them was in such a different place at the time. It was all but accepted that Slash wasn't coming back and the anger over that had resided.

The nostalgia for the band hadn't fully kicked in yet but the perception of Axl had started to change more into a respected legend than a guy people hated for continuing the band in the 2000s.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:30 PM, guitarpatch said:

They weren’t playing bigger venues because of any lingering issues with Azoff. That’s just what they were drawing and what was available to them after two US tours that were ended prematurely

Your sentiment is basically correct, but your timeline's flawed. Guns played an arena tour in late 2011, partially to pay off Azoff. Immediately after that tour, from 2012 to 14, they went back to clubs and festivals in the US. That's when their draw was at its lowest in recent memory.

• 3 weeks later...

A RECAP FROM 10 YEARS AGO

I aint sayin I know the answer to this question but my memory serves me well so I'll just say that we had this discussion many years ago and the conclusion back when , when more relevant info was at hand, was that both Axl's GNR, and original-5 solo bands could play all the "written by GNR" songs like AFD and LIES without asking each other for permission, but if they wanted to play UYI they had to obtain each others' permission.

That's why GNR and all the other solo bands butchered AFD for decades, and included a cover here and there, like KOHD or LALD. Obviously, beings kids throwing shit in the sandbox,  Axl wouldn't allow members who left GNR play GNR songs, and Slash and Duff would sux a c**k to undermine GNR 2.0

The breakthru happened around 2010 or 2011 when suddenly Axl gave Slash permission to play UYI songs with Conspirators, like YCBM, and include them in his live releases, and Slash allowed Axl to use 90s GNR catalogue, like Civil War and Estranged, which gave us the LAS VEGAS DVD, with the most washed-up title ever "appetite for democracy", the only lasting memory of Axl's great masterplan which was supposed to include a trilogy of new music.

Edited by whatashame
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:52 PM, ZoSoRose said:

It’s not exciting now, but we were all hyped as fuck when Estranged was played. It was crazy when Civil War was dusted off, too. UYI material seemed just as elusive live as CD2 stuff back then

Oh God...when I heard Estranged in Mérida I got very emotional....Is the music...perfection