Why Axl didn t play "Estranged" from 93 to 2011?

There weren’t many shows between those years and they were more focused on new material at that time, is my guess.

2011 was when Axl went into nostalgia mode, for both better and worse. He lost his creative edge, yes, but we also started getting more classics back like Estranged and Civil War.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

There weren’t many shows between those years and they were more focused on new material at that time, is my guess.

2011 was when Axl went into nostalgia mode, for both better and worse. He lost his creative edge, yes, but we also started getting more classics back like Estranged and Civil War.

oh my god is true.. after the 2010 he went full axl rose in an ironic kinda way

• Like 1

Just now, Stress Fracture said:

I might be remembering wrong but one of the shows was put online with Axl’s IEM and Bumblefoot started playing the melody during one of his solos and Axl said from backstage ‘I heard that’ as if it was taboo.

It’s bound to be an emotional song for Axl.

BBF did it several times. 

For the longest time the set consisted of only November Rain, You Could Be Mine and the two covers from UYI. Otherwise it was very AFD heavy with some CD. Also those two UYI songs also originated from the AFD period

It’s possible he just associated much of that material with what was happening personally at the time. Or maybe he wasn’t happy with how those songs turned out. Or the critics at the time. Or a combination of things. Fact is that they never touched those songs for years 

Thankfully that stance has changed. If you told us in 2002-2006 that Slash was back and they were performing Coma and Estranged again, it would have blown our minds 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

2001-2007 they were only playing 3-5 CD songs per night (sometimes only 1-2 CD songs), they were definitely more focused on the old songs. The only time they really seemed focused on CD songs was 2009-10.

Bumblefoot had a lot to do with them playing Don't Cry, Estranged and Civil War again. He knew the fans wanted those songs and had been teasing Estranged in his solo spot since 2009.

Oh yeah. Forgot about those teases for Don’t Cry and Estranged! Gotta give bumble credit for that, at least.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

About Estranged returning to the playlist: (69) 31. JANUARY-DECEMBER 2011: TOURING THE AMERICAS (a-4-d.com)

uten_t11.jpg

When I did a few online lessons with bumble in 2011, I used to always finish by asking for Estranged🤣 

I assumed Bumble worked it up with the guys Axl heard it and thought, yeah let's do it. May evAxl.just decided it was time🤔

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

When I did a few online lessons with bumble in 2011, I used to always finish by asking for Estranged🤣 

I assumed Bumble worked it up with the guys Axl heard it and thought, yeah let's do it. May evAxl.just decided it was time🤔

Haha, well, Axl said in 2008 he might want to play it again and Bumblefoot himself, in the first quote above, indicated Axl just suddenly wanted to play it. Still, I am sure Bumble playing parts of the song helped :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Axl losing interest is one of the saddest things to happen to GN'R in my opinion. I think it had to do with Robin leaving, but who knows. I'm so curious what happened between December 2010 & October 2011.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

About Estranged returning to the playlist: (69) 31. JANUARY-DECEMBER 2011: TOURING THE AMERICAS (a-4-d.com)

uten_t11.jpg

On Axl, why you need a plan to bring "Estranged" on the Setlist? It's not a recording or anything else that requires a plan. Just bring it! Or did it take several 3-hour meetings between 2008 and 2011?

6 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

On Axl, why you need a plan to bring "Estranged" on the Setlist? It's not a recording or anything else that requires a plan. Just bring it! Or did it take several 3-hour meetings between 2008 and 2011?

If I were to guess: Having each band member learn their parts, get them to rehearse it together until it sits, instructing crew to prepare the monitors for the song, making the screen video for the song, program light and possible pyro, and likely more that I don't think about. Not saying any of this is a problem, just that it might have been what Axl had in mind. 

On 10/4/2022 at 8:58 PM, darkside259 said:

i mean i though that song was his personal baby 

He was in his feelings.

On 10/4/2022 at 9:15 PM, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Always thought it was the "Slash" component (specifically thanked in UYI II credits, video, etc.). Meanwhile, by 2011- perhaps enough time had passed for some healing, and the band was trending in more of a classic/nostalgia direction with DJ/Bumble, etc.

Ditto.