Was Izzy really asking for a lot of money to come back?

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think I get it: Gilby was part of the UYI lineup and many people here became fans of GN'R watching live shows in that period, so they are nostalgic about it. Secondly, they like Pawnshop Guitars and would like him back not only as a touring musicians but as a song-writer.

Great observation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Even RHCP fired Josh when John came back. Sometimes I wonder why they didn't just keep Josh for 2 guitarists which is common in most bands anyway.

Yeah, plus he was the second guitarist during the end of John's last stint too. It's a shame his time with the band ended the way it did. I get it, but it would've been nice to see him retained in some capacity, even if it was going back to his old touring role

15 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Don't get me wrong. For nostalgic reasons I too would prefer to have Gilby back. Though other than that and for the masses, I see that he has no real value or right to be there. And Fortus certainly is the better guitar player.

I like Richard. I dig his stage presence and guitar solos. But Gilby's no slouch. Besides his solo plus Kill For Thrills, Col Parker, Snakepit albums, there's a reason why everyone from MC5, Heart, Nancy Sinatra etc... have asked him to play with them. 

Quick reminder that Gilby was let go with excuse Axl didn't think he could write with him. It took Axl til 08 to get one album out. Since 08 he's released two songs written well over 20 years ago. 

3 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Quick reminder that Gilby was let go with excuse Axl didn't think he could write with him. It took Axl til 08 to get one album out. Since 08 he's released two songs written well over 20 years ago. 

I don't think it was an excuse. It seems like Axl wanted to write with Paul and Gilby was only hired mostly for the live shows.

it's less relevant how long it took Axl to release an album compared to how long it took him and the new members to write and record an album's worth of material imo and I believe they already had enough material for an album in '99. 

7 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Yeah, plus he was the second guitarist during the end of John's last stint too. It's a shame his time with the band ended the way it did. I get it, but it would've been nice to see him retained in some capacity, even if it was going back to his old touring role

They have always been a 4 piece band and that is the chemistry they are after, it wouldn't work after all those years to become a 5 piece band, I think. Maybe having someone as a touring member and providing different instruments to some songs like Josh did during the last part of the Stadium Arcadium tour, but not as a full member. Plus, if Josh would have still been in the band it would mean John has to play his songs, and he doesn't seem to want to play songs from members that came after him (Dave and Josh). Which is a real shame too, by the way.

• Like 1