Was Izzy really asking for a lot of money to come back?

47 minutes ago, KURT19 said:

Bullshit.

Izzy wanted his fair share.  Duff and Slash caved.  Steven is a completely different sad story altogether.

If they announced the return of Izzy and Steven, ticket sales would rocket up.

Do you have information as to what that 'fair share' was? 

If not, calling 'bullshit' on it all might seem a bit ridiculous. 

Ticket sales seemed to do just fine without him, which suggests there was very little financial point in bringing him back, whether we like it or not. 

GNR is simply a business. And him and Steven are very expendable to that business. 

Edited by allwaystired

As much as I love Izzy, the simple point is he is not a business partner of GNR, and was likely not offered a permanent spot to play during the NITL tour (since Richard is a more reliable and cheaper alternative). More than likely, Axl, Slash and Duff would have offered Izzy something similar to Steven, where he would play a few songs on some shows or legs.

By these standards, it makes sense for GNR's partnership and management not to 'split the loot'. But it also makes sense that it would piss Izzy off since he was more of an integral member than Steven was. 

• Like 4

On 12/29/2022 at 2:04 PM, Karice said:

This is off the top of my head, and rag and drag me if you want, but doesn't Izzy have any close Family like a Son or Nephew who can fill his position for him in Current Guns N'Roses like Jason Bonham, John Bonham's son did for AC/DC?  🤔

John Bonham - legendary AC/DC drummer responsible for the band's biggest hit: Livin' On A Prayer.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, KURT19 said:

Bullshit.

Izzy wanted his fair share.  Duff and Slash caved.  Steven is a completely different sad story altogether.

If they announced the return of Izzy and Steven, ticket sales would rocket up.

His fair share? Izzy, Slash and Duff all left the band. Slash n Duff opted to remain in the business partnership. Izzy chose to be paid out. Which is fine. His choice. But naturally that means that if he returned he wouldn't get the same. And there's nothing unfair about that.

Slash n Duff have also remained in the public eye with Velvet Revolver and their solo projects, touring etc... Izzy's made no effort to promote himself. Again if he enjoys the quiet life good for him. But that also means that outside of a bunch of diehard fans no one knows or cares about Izzy. They're happy enough that Slash n Duff (who they're familiar with) are still there.

Izzy's not stupid. He knew he get offered a decent amount. But not the same as the big three. He knew it'd turn into a big tour and machine again and wasn't willing to commit. The whole not splitting the loot thing is his excuse.

• Like 1

Two years after his "loot" tweet, Izzy made this statement:

“The current GNR tour has been a great success for the guys. My nonparticipation was simply not being able to reach a happy middle ground through the negotiation process,” Mr. Stradlin said in an email. “That’s life, sometimes things don’t work out.” He didn’t respond to further inquiries.

Fernando Lebeis, manager for Guns N’ Roses, declined to comment on the tour negotiations but said “Izzy is a dear friend.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/guns-n-roses-rakes-in-millions-on-reunion-tour-but-its-missing-mr-invisible-1527429349

These are the only comments he has made so far.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LunsJail said:

Izzy self-sabotaged coming back for the NITL tour. He would have to know he wasn’t getting paid what the others were and used that excuse to not show up. I’m not totally convinced Izzy can really play anymore, let alone pull off a big tour.

As far as being friends, Sorum’s book indicated there was bad blood between Izzy and Duff after the NITL appearances didn’t work out.

Damn. Didn't know about that bad blood.

17 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

As much as I love Izzy, the simple point is he is not a business partner of GNR, and was likely not offered a permanent spot to play during the NITL tour (since Richard is a more reliable and cheaper alternative). More than likely, Axl, Slash and Duff would have offered Izzy something similar to Steven, where he would play a few songs on some shows or legs.

By these standards, it makes sense for GNR's partnership and management not to 'split the loot'. But it also makes sense that it would piss Izzy off since he was more of an integral member than Steven was. 

The thing is, there was no NITL planned at the Izzy stage; it was supposed to be just a couple of shows, according to Slash. I think we keep forgetting this factor. 

19 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Remember when Izzy came back before? 

I don't think they sold one extra ticket as a result of it. Ok, it wasn't a pre-announced thing or anything but I don't think many people could have cared less. 

When people in 06 and 12 heard Axl introduce Izzy on stage they were confused because they thought 4tus was Izzy the whole time :lol:

• Haha 4

NITL was always going to be a huge tour. Izzy and Steven haven't really shown anything in the last 2.5 decades to suggest they'd be happy with several years of touring 3 hour shows. 

It would have been a big risk to bring them back permanently. It seems like some efforts were made to negotiate terms for something back in 2016. 

As much as it sucks, I can understand why the big 3 don't trust them.

• Like 1

I don’t think Izzy or Steven were ever legitimately considered to return to GnR. I l can’t see Axl kicking Richard out after years of being loyal through all the lineup changes and I don’t see frank being booted either. Axl knew all he needed was Slash and the majority of people would consider it a reunion.

I honestly think we were pretty close to seeing a Axl, Slash, Tommy, pitman, Dizzy, and Ashba lineup. Axl wasn’t going to boot Tommy either

25 minutes ago, liers said:

I honestly think we were pretty close to seeing a Axl, Slash, Tommy, pitman, Dizzy, and Ashba lineup. Axl wasn’t going to boot Tommy either

Wait what? My memory is very vague for this time period, but can you elaborate on that? I know Tommy was maybe the biggest column holding it together for a long time, but I kinda thought he was kicked out, wasn't he?

30 minutes ago, sakuL_ said:

Wait what? My memory is very vague for this time period, but can you elaborate on that? I know Tommy was maybe the biggest column holding it together for a long time, but I kinda thought he was kicked out, wasn't he?

He left the band along with Bumblefoot right after the Las Vegas shows in 2014.

• Like 1

people here speculate too much what could be/would be, remember we can only negotiate the past, for everyone is pretty tight on everything that is related to this band.

as far as drawing comparison to Steve 'being offered to play a song or two', REMEMBER key thing, Adler was actually ment to be the ONLY drummer back in 2016 if what they say is true. Shamme nobody ever opened up on the ssongs he rehearsed with them.

37 minutes ago, Frankfurt93 said:

people here speculate too much what could be/would be, remember we can only negotiate the past, for everyone is pretty tight on everything that is related to this band.

as far as drawing comparison to Steve 'being offered to play a song or two', REMEMBER key thing, Adler was actually ment to be the ONLY drummer back in 2016 if what they say is true. Shamme nobody ever opened up on the ssongs he rehearsed with them.

what is your source for your claim that Steven was supposed to be the only drummer for Gn'R in 2016?

49 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

He left the band along with Bumblefoot right after the Las Vegas shows in 2014.

Yeah, but why? I thought he left because he knew they were preparing for reunion. So I kinda thought he just slammed the door and left by himself, but I never thought they would potentially consider leaving him in the band if he stayed. Is there any source of information indicating otherwise?

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Last year the band account tweeted about Izzy's birthday for the first time since 2016, so I guess there's no bad blood (on their part, at least)

(Btw, Izzy is yet to make his annual season's greetings tweet)

unfortunetly Izzy didn't post a tweet this  year  :(

1 hour ago, sakuL_ said:

Yeah, but why? I thought he left because he knew they were preparing for reunion. So I kinda thought he just slammed the door and left by himself, but I never thought they would potentially consider leaving him in the band if he stayed. Is there any source of information indicating otherwise?

https://blabbermouth.net/news/tommy-stinson-i-wasnt-intending-to-quit-guns-n-roses

Former GUNS N' ROSES bassist Tommy Stinson spoke to Rolling Stone about his 2014 departure from the band, which happened after his marriage "went fuckin' south in a bad, bad way" forcing him to become a "fuckin' full-time dad — and happily a full-time dad."

"I wasn't intending to quit GUNS N' ROSES," he said. "But I had to tell them, I think, five times in a row my situation at home was so screwed up I couldn't tour. I hope that was the thing that pushed the reunion [with Slash and Duff McKagan] to happen, because I know all those guys and they're having a ball. I saw the tour twice. I'm glad for them."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 1:48 PM, allwaystired said:

If Izzy had been there, I'm sure he wouldn't be now. 

I agree. And to be perfectly frank, I can imagine that was one of the big reasons Axl, Slash & Duff had no interest in giving Izzy a share in GNR. Axl has been dealing with that situation for years, he wasn't about to walk back in to another potential complication having got Slash & Duff back.

47 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/tommy-stinson-i-wasnt-intending-to-quit-guns-n-roses

Former GUNS N' ROSES bassist Tommy Stinson spoke to Rolling Stone about his 2014 departure from the band, which happened after his marriage "went fuckin' south in a bad, bad way" forcing him to become a "fuckin' full-time dad — and happily a full-time dad."

"I wasn't intending to quit GUNS N' ROSES," he said. "But I had to tell them, I think, five times in a row my situation at home was so screwed up I couldn't tour. I hope that was the thing that pushed the reunion [with Slash and Duff McKagan] to happen, because I know all those guys and they're having a ball. I saw the tour twice. I'm glad for them."

That's some ego there, Tommy. I'm sure the lure of millions and millions and millions of dollars was what pushed the reunion. Not an interchangeable bassist bailing.