Was Izzy really asking for a lot of money to come back?

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I think that's a pretty baseless assumption that's been unfairly purported over the years and has snowballed ever since Izzy left GNR due to prioritizing his health by quitting drugs and not putting up with the bullshit at that time. Sprinkle in a few vague remarks by Duff or whoever and tada there's this mantra of "Izzy simply doesn't care that much about the band he founded and wrote a bunch of the songs for. He probably wouldn't tour even if he was paid enough...I mean, he does like to quadbike afterall..." :lol:

Nah. Izzy has never committed to a long tour since leaving the band. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

For as much shit as people have given Axl throughout the years, his side of the story almost always ended up being the truth. Or at least closer to it. A lot of the stuff Duff and Slash said after leaving GNR was PR spin (like being forced to sign over the name of the band).

They've all pretty much said that Axl is a dictator and we can see that to this day. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:33 PM, Spaghetti4twenty said:

If Izzy was there they’d probably still have 4tus as a third guitarist (just a guess) so I’d imagine that’s why. 

Probably... Izzy can't play the Chinese stuff I guess.

And he's a songwriter... he will get bored to death with the current situation :lol:

Wish they would get Izzy on board for his songwriting though. Get some old fashioned rock n roll back in this band.

But as @SoulMonstermentions, Izzy also seems very unreliable as a touring member.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Probably... Izzy can't play the Chinese stuff I guess.

And he's a songwriter... he will get bored to death with the current situation :lol:

Wish they would get Izzy on board for his songwriting though. Get some old fashioned rock n roll back in this band.

But as @SoulMonstermentions, Izzy also seems very unreliable as a touring member.

I think it would be cool if they had Izzy and Steven to record and write but toured with 4tus and Frank. 

then again, Axl recorded three different drummers and replaced Brian Mays parts for CD just to correspond to the current lineup. He seems very loyal to his hired members which I respect 

Edited by Spaghetti4twenty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

The fact that there's fans out there who prefer a random hired musician to fill in for Izzy, GNR founding member and key songwriter - is simply a very stupid opinion/preference, enough so that I feel anyone who feels that way should be good enough to not try and defend it.

Well here I am, trying to defend it...

Sorry, you can't give your point of view then say anyone who believes differently is stupid 'just because'.

Personally, while I like Izzy, I also like Richard. Hired hand or not, I like what he brings to the band, I like how he's gelled with Slash and Duff, and I like how we get to hear more of him now there's only two guitarists. I'm a big fan of the current lineup that blends both the classic and CD eras. It's cool to see how the band has still managed to evolve over the decades in spite of little material actually being released.

Do I like Izzy? Yes. Was he a key songwriter? Yes, but the songs are written already, it's pretty clear AFD 2.0 is never coming, regardless of who's in the band, so a performer is what's necessary.

But is Richard a worthy replacement? Yes. Is it good that, in a band dogged with turmoil since day one, they have someone who's both talented AND doesn't rock the boat? Yes.

Has anything I've said been categorically wrong? No, because that's how I see it. I'm not wrong, or indeed "stupid", and neither are you.

The fact of the matter is, none of us truly know what's going on. No matter what side of the fence you sit on, we're all just speculating. But there's one thing we can all be pretty certain of: if Izzy being in the band was a better idea than Richard, at this point in time, he'd be there – and he isn't.

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe Izzy didn't want to deal with the logistics of solo tours (dealing with promoters etc.) and also didn't think that a tour would turn a profit, so it wouldn't be worth it. But he'd probably do a small tour with GN'R if his requirements were satisfied.

It seemed to me that Izzy would be willing to do a little tour, a few shows, and not to coming back to GNR.  The band  now is a  a giant machine, a company with bigger social media then 30 years ago. this guy for the last 30 years did what he wanted to do. He was a ship and a sailor himself. so I don't see him returning permanently to t band, where you have to reckon with a revolution in almost every area of your life. The image of this guy seems to be as a person who can't be counted on and who is unpredictable ... just like Axl used to be.

Edited by Politania
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Politania said:

It seemed to me that Izzy would be willing to do a little tour, a few shows, and not to coming back to GNR.  The band  no is a  a giant machine, a company with bigger social media then 30 years ago. this guy for the last 30 years did what he wanted to do. He was a ship and a sailor himself. so I don't see him returning permanently to t band, where you have to reckon with a revolution in almost every area of your life. The image of this guy seems to be as a person who can't be counted on and who is unpredictable ... just like Axl used to be.

Happy Belated Christmas @Politania!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Is Izzy still friends with the other 3 though? Anyone knows?

I think Slash and Duff are the only friends from original Guns. 

They are currently on working terms with Axl who has his own entourage. 

There doesn't seem to be any major bad blood with past members but certainly not friends.

Edited by jacdaniel
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Is Izzy still friends with the other 3 though? Anyone knows?

The only ex member we can tell Iz hangs out with is Matt.

Let's be honest the last time GNR were A BAND was 17/7/93., evrything post that (Spaghetti Incident excluded) was just from bad to worse.

Personally, for me Matt and Gilby were more than acceptable replacements for one who could not play anymore (Adler) and the other who left on his own terms (Izzy).

To me, Matt style was even more adequate for GNR sound (YCBM, Coma, Dead Horse, Locomotive, Double Talkin' Jive as best examples), Gilby IMO was not technically worse than Izzy but had more stage presence.

Neither Matt nor Gilby lacked charisma and they seemed to be perfect fit for GNR world, not to mention the chemistry they had with Duff and Slash. That was the band the fans lived with and lived for, waiting for the next video, show...whatever. What we have now is huge setback, Axl can't sing, Fortus/Frank/Mel are laughable replacements for the band that played in the 90's. Obviously, the creative chemistry is not there.

As for Izzy...Coming off the stadium tour, with UYI albums just released, it ain't easy to put together the band and play half empty small clubs. No Slash left, Duff in the middle, Steve/Matt behind.  You can give it a try but if nothing happens, it wears off. Financially, it gets to the point where you lose the money, the members need to be paid, the costs are not reimbursed, it stopps making sense and interest fades away after a while. Therefore don't compare Izzy turning off the switch with Ju Ju's to him quitting Gunners.

Fact is, he almost became a member of my second fav bend who themselves toured big time at the time - The Black Crowes. If he was not into touring he would not consider it, right!?

Finally, the fact we have Frank/Fortus/Mel proves it was all about the money... ;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Well here I am, trying to defend it...

Sorry, you can't give your point of view then say anyone who believes differently is stupid 'just because'.

Personally, while I like Izzy, I also like Richard. Hired hand or not, I like what he brings to the band, I like how he's gelled with Slash and Duff, and I like how we get to hear more of him now there's only two guitarists. I'm a big fan of the current lineup that blends both the classic and CD eras. It's cool to see how the band has still managed to evolve over the decades in spite of little material actually being released.

Do I like Izzy? Yes. Was he a key songwriter? Yes, but the songs are written already, it's pretty clear AFD 2.0 is never coming, regardless of who's in the band, so a performer is what's necessary.

But is Richard a worthy replacement? Yes. Is it good that, in a band dogged with turmoil since day one, they have someone who's both talented AND doesn't rock the boat? Yes.

Has anything I've said been categorically wrong? No, because that's how I see it. I'm not wrong, or indeed "stupid", and neither are you.

The fact of the matter is, none of us truly know what's going on. No matter what side of the fence you sit on, we're all just speculating. But there's one thing we can all be pretty certain of: if Izzy being in the band was a better idea than Richard, at this point in time, he'd be there – and he isn't.

Do i like rhetorical questions? Yes.

Do i like answering my own rhetorical questions? Also yes.

I can understand everybody's point of view in this issue honestly. In Izzy's view he was a co-founder and deserves an equal share of the money with Axl, Duff and Slash. In their point of view Izzy sold his partnership years ago and they have no obligation to split it equally. It sounds cold but that is business. I was really disappointed that Izzy wasn't a part of the reunion, I know when most people think of gnr they think Slash and Axl, which is fine they did make themselves the face of the band, but I always thought Izzy deserved more recognition. Speaking theoretically if Axl hadn't had Izzy to look for when he first came out who even knows if we would have had the band? I don't think we'll ever know the full answer on this, but I've been disappointed in all of them he wasn't a part of it. 

Edited by BluegrassBlues
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I think Slash and Duff are the only friends from original Guns. 

They are currently on working terms with Axl who has his own entourage. 

There doesn't seem to be any major bad blood with past members but certainly not friends.

Makes one realize that Duff is the middle man/glue in Guns N’ Roses. You’ll see Axl and Duff,  and Slash and Duff, but never Axl and Slash together off stage

• Like 4

Izzy self-sabotaged coming back for the NITL tour. He would have to know he wasn’t getting paid what the others were and used that excuse to not show up. I’m not totally convinced Izzy can really play anymore, let alone pull off a big tour.

As far as being friends, Sorum’s book indicated there was bad blood between Izzy and Duff after the NITL appearances didn’t work out.

Remember when Izzy came back before? 

I don't think they sold one extra ticket as a result of it. Ok, it wasn't a pre-announced thing or anything but I don't think many people could have cared less. 

Outside of us lot, I don't think anyone that is still buying GNR tickets is interested in him. 

That's definitely a factor in him being there, from a financial view point. And as everything GNR does now is about money, it's easy to see why him being there wasn't and isn't a priority.