The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

52 minutes ago, TheSlashrose said:

Duff talk about it on HS show.

I always wanted to know about the song Cock A Roach Soup, would it just be a working title like Jackie Chan chan chan 

Pretty sure Axl confirmed during his 2008 forum visits that Cock-A-Roach Soup was fake.

On topic: I subscribe to the theory that Hard Skool is indeed the Jackie Chan song from 1996 but that Slash most likely had no involvement in the writing since he was still off in Snakepit land at the time. That said, he did still do a tape of riffs for the band around 1994 or so (the one where Fall To Pieces comes from), and Axl did confirm during his forum visits that they were still taking that tape into consideration in 1996. Furthermore, Fortus said back in 2014 or so that one of the songs they were working on was a song that Slash “planted the seed for a long time ago.” But I don’t think that song is Hard Skool, because at that same interview a fan sang the lyrics of the Checkmate leak to Fortus and he said “doesn’t ring a bell.”

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Btw, according to Melissa's website, she "contributed musically" to both (re-recorded versions of) Hard Skool and Absurd. So I guess she re-recorded Pitman's parts on Absurd, but I can't imagine what she did on Hard Skool.

https://www.melissareesemusic.com/about

It also says that Brain is on drums on both songs. So it's Brain on HS, too (and not Frank as we had speculated) and the drum track is probably from around 2003-2004 but heavily processed to fit with the new version.

Nice discovery! It reads: 

Melissa was also excited to have contributed musically to the band’s two newest released singles “ABSUЯD” and “Hard Skool”, which coincidentally feature Brain on drums as well. The band is currently on another world tour, with more to come in 2023.

The last bit is interesting. "The band is currently on another world tour, with more to come in 2023."

I doubt the above means more world tours for 2023, it's safe to say more music, or additional singles. Could it mean additional shows? 

That's a damn shame if Brain really is playing on that Hard Skool... did Frank get any credits? I'm sure Brain's drum track needed some "fitting" to Slash and Duff's parts, not to mention they cut the old intro to the song, unless they did that prior to the NITL version, which I doubt. 

It's bad enough Slash is going to re-work and re-record existing CD-era material. But we also have to deal with horrible mixing and mastering, unless they have improved since the first two singles in that department. 

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Melissa was also excited to have contributed musically to the band’s two newest released singles “ABSUЯD” and “Hard Skool”, which coincidentally feature Brain on drums as well. The band is currently on another world tour, with more to come in 2023.

The last bit is interesting. "The band is currently on another world tour, with more to come in 2023."

I doubt the above means more world tours for 2023, it's safe to say more music, or additional singles. Could it mean additional shows? 

That's a damn shame if Brain really is playing on that Hard Skool... did Frank get any credits? I'm sure Brain's drum track needed some "fitting" to Slash and Duff's parts, not to mention they cut the old intro to the song, unless they did that prior to the NITL version, which I doubt. 

It's bad enough Slash is going to re-work and re-record existing CD-era material. But we also have to deal with horrible mixing and mastering, unless they have improved since the first two singles in that department. 

By "currently" it means 2022, because that was when her website was last updated.

No, Frank didn't get any credits.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'm really hoping the negitive reaction to the mixing and mastering on the last two will have made them re-think how anymore are done

40 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Pretty sure Axl confirmed during his 2008 forum visits that Cock-A-Roach Soup was fake.

On topic: I subscribe to the theory that Hard Skool is indeed the Jackie Chan song from 1996 but that Slash most likely had no involvement in the writing since he was still off in Snakepit land at the time. That said, he did still do a tape of riffs for the band around 1994 or so (the one where Fall To Pieces comes from), and Axl did confirm during his forum visits that they were still taking that tape into consideration in 1996. Furthermore, Fortus said back in 2014 or so that one of the songs they were working on was a song that Slash “planted the seed for a long time ago.” But I don’t think that song is Hard Skool, because at that same interview a fan sang the lyrics of the Checkmate leak to Fortus and he said “doesn’t ring a bell.”

I also think the same. Slash was out of the band for a while. Duff talked about HS on Howard Stern in 1996 I think before Slash left the band. I believe that Guns had great songs like Beggars & Hangers-On, Embryo of Fall To Pieces, This I Love, Hardschool, if Axl had been flexible we would have had a great album between 1995 or 1997. I'm reading some biographies about the band and almost all mention Axl's fear of releasing new music. His self-esteem got so fucked up that he had no confidence in his vocals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSlashrose said:

Duff talk about it on HS show.

I always wanted to know about the song Cock A Roach Soup, would it just be a working title like Jackie Chan chan chan 

Is there any link to where he said that?

23 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

If it's Brain on HS why was no mention made unlike Absurd where he was listed as a guest performer, something mentioned in articles coinciding with the release? 

I really can't even see how she is on either track and highly doubt she is. And I'm fairly sure it's Frank on HS. 

Edited by rumandraisin
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Is there any link to where he said that?

Duff talking about the Jackie Chan song in 1996 - didn't say anything about Slash though (scroll down for the quote):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4135-hard-skool

Axl confirming which rumoured song titles were real:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5903-2008-12-13-chinesedemocracy-com-axl-talks-to-fans

• Like 1

Sorry Howard stern but Jackie Chan is far more talented than you at probably just about everything. havent seen that interview for a while though, compare how Duff looks there to how he was 4 years before, he's like a completely different human being

12 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

If it's Brain on HS why was no mention made unlike Absurd where he was listed as a guest performer, something mentioned in articles coinciding with the release? 

I really can't even see how she is on either track and highly doubt she is. And I'm fairly sure it's Frank on HS. 

3 minutes ago, tommyrai said:

Think the wording for Melissa reads as he plays on both, but probably just means absurd, I feel it's Frank for hardskool, seems odd they would mention on absurd not HS

They generally didn't mention any credits (writing or performing) at all upon the release of Hard Skool (unlike what they did with Absurd) and we had to wait about a year for the writing credits to appear on ASCAP and the other databases.

Moreover, regarding the drums, maybe they didn't mention anything because the Brain track is so processed/ProTool-ed that is completely altered.

10 minutes ago, betterman said:

Hardschool contains organ/keyboards throughout, I have believed it was Melissa all the time. 

I wish they were slightly higher in the mix though. Could really have given the verses a more melancholy feel in contrast to the aggressive chorus if Caram had utilized them properly.

56 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Duff talking about the Jackie Chan song in 1996 - didn't say anything about Slash though (scroll down for the quote):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4135-hard-skool

Axl confirming which rumoured song titles were real:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5903-2008-12-13-chinesedemocracy-com-axl-talks-to-fans

Yeah for me, it's just the jump that Jackie chan is HatdSkool. 

Hadn't read a couple of those quotes though. Richard almost giving his real feelings on Absurd too was fun😄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, metallex78 said:

4tus being his usual cryptic dickhead self.

“and something else you don’t know about” 

Just fuck off with your carrot dangling shit.

Fartus has a Napoleon complex. Nobody gives a shit about him, cause he's in the shadow of the big three, he is never being mentioned in promos. That's why he needs to do this shit from time to time 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

For what it’s worth, Spotify no longer credits Brain on “Absurd.” Seems odd they’d edit that. But yeah, I don’t know that that’s Brain on “Hard Skool.” I assumed it was Frank as well. This FN band. 

Maybe it’s cause they technically still consider brain to be a fulltime member, and felt that mentioning him as a “featured drummer” went against that narrative? He was with the band last year when they soundchecked that tune that sounded kinda like Circus Maximus, after all.

Edited by rocknroll41

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Maybe it’s cause they technically still consider brain to be a fulltime member, and felt that mentioning him as a “featured drummer” went against that narrative? He was with the band last year when they soundchecked that tune that sounded kinda like Circus Maximus, after all.

I thought that was Oklahoma