The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

13 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I understand the skepticism. But let's get some more context. We had Slash this week in a studio in Oslo: 

Notice how Hartung said "can't say too much about it". Why would he say that if it's just for some live mix/broadcast mix?

Let's add some other facts:

- Perhaps and The General on the setlist;
- Perhaps being rehearsed;
- The "new mixes" wording instead of a "new live mix" ; 
- "The band wanted a nice studio with a variety of speakers and headphones to listen to new mixes". What would require a new mix in a studio environment that should be also heard on speakers AND headphones? 
- The broadcast mix is probably handled by the BBC crew, GNR would have no input on that.
- A new live mix would need to be heard in the live environment, not in a studio. The acoustics and the gig speakers need a totally different mix from regular stereo speakers/headphones.

At the same time, if they are still checking out those new mixes, I would think they won't release anything this week. 

Yeah- that bit I bolded is the key part for me. They won't be doing the mix at Glastonbury, the BBC will. Hearing what a live mix is like somewhere else is sort of irrelevant. 

The only reason you'd want to listen to mixes in a studio is if you are preparing mixes for a release, surely. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rodzilla72 said:

Am I misreading this sentence then? "He mixed GN’R at Tons of Rock" + "came down to help set up a private listening session with Axl Rose after the show" - does that not say he mixed the soundboard at the recent concert and is now helping recreate the live mix on the studio's speakers so the band can hear how they sound?

“He mixed GN’R at Tons of Rock and came down to help set up a private listening session with Axl Rose after the show.”

Could be they needed a studio in Norway, they asked the dude who was mixing them live at the festival because he would know people with studios, and he said "I know a guy with a studio, I can take you there tomorrow. Exciting you have a new single, your voice sounds great on it Axl. Don't be late like in the old days"

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Mh, it's probably live mixes and nothing will be released. Not the song "Nothing", just nothing. :D

Imagine if Nothing was the title of the next EP, and the featured track. That would be absurd. :P 

Hard to imagine that song on a GN'R album, but there have been worse things. Nothing with some instrumental tweaks and additions, and a fitting guitar solo would be a decent B or C side. 

18 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Imagine if Nothing was the title of the next EP, and the featured track. That would be absurd. :P 

Hard to imagine that song on a GN'R album, but there have been worse things. Nothing with some instrumental tweaks and additions, and a fitting guitar solo would be a decent B or C side. 

The studio wouldn't elaborate, but it was studio recordings mixed in LA they were listening to. sp1at

30 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Could be they needed a studio in Norway, they asked the dude who was mixing them live at the festival because he would know people with studios, and he said "I know a guy with a studio, I can take you there tomorrow. Exciting you have a new single, your voice sounds great on it Axl. Don't be late like in the old days"

Hey, technically it "could be" anything, right? I mean, again, that sentence clearly states something different, but yes technically you may be correct. 

What the smallest album we'd accept or could be? EP's are generally 28 minutes and less. So an album with 8-12 tracks. Slash usually has 10 on his solo. If we're including Absurd and HS and the other 4 or so that Slash said were done, then we're only 3 or 4 shy of a LP to tide us over until new new material! Fantasy land?

8 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

The studio wouldn't elaborate, but it was studio recordings mixed in LA they were listening to. sp1at

On top of that, it was different mixes. So it implies it is probably the new material, but at the same time, it's obviously not ready yet, which potentially rules out a new track at Glastonbury tomorrow. Unless they have already finished a couple of tracks historically.

He added this also, so the new tracks are coming

1 minute ago, Dani_1455 said:

On top of that, it was different mixes. So it implies it is probably the new material, but at the same time, it's obviously not ready yet, which potentially rules out a new track at Glastonbury tomorrow. Unless they have already finished a couple of tracks historically.

He added this also, so the new tracks are coming

Different mixes could mean different mixes of just one song to decide which one to go with, I'm hoping 2 but I wouldnt get my hopes up for more than that this year

Seems good news either way

They could be listening to mastered tracks, if that's the case they could potentially be sent to streaming services by Glastonbury for sure. Obviously no physical format release though. I don't see them debuting a new song at Glastonbury though with a live broadcast... Maybe they will but I think they'd prefer to play it away from the microscope a time or two before

Who knows with gnr but this is the best indication of activity we've had in a long time. Axl and Slash in the same studio listening to tracks. I'm not expecting anything to come out immediately, but if they are going to studios on their off days then they do have some near future plans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

I know what it means logically but pessimism is telling others otherwise. Let's hope for some news that follows sense for once! Best odds we've had in a while I'd say...

If it was any other band it would be clear what it means logically..........

But this is GN'R

Some may think this means new music will be dropped tommorow or this week and I would disagree. Others will clasp there hands over there ears whilst rocking back and forth in a fetal position claiming "There's no new music coming" as they shake like a jaded Nam vet, & that's probably not true either. 

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

They could be listening to mastered tracks, if that's the case they could potentially be sent to streaming services by Glastonbury for sure. Obviously no physical format release though. I don't see them debuting a new song at Glastonbury though with a live broadcast... Maybe they will but I think they'd prefer to play it away from the microscope a time or two before

Who knows with gnr but this is the best indication of activity we've had in a long time. Axl and Slash in the same studio listening to tracks. I'm not expecting anything to come out immediately, but if they are going to studios on their off days then they do have some near future plans.

Mixing comes before mastering, If they were listening to mixes then that suggests mastering hasn't been done

35 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

What the smallest album we'd accept or could be? EP's are generally 28 minutes and less. So an album with 8-12 tracks. Slash usually has 10 on his solo. If we're including Absurd and HS and the other 4 or so that Slash said were done, then we're only 3 or 4 shy of a LP to tide us over until new new material! Fantasy land?

These days, I’d say 10 tracks but I’d be fine if they were all good. Absurd would be on it, so they wouldn’t be

2 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Since these are mixes and not masters, they surely must be new material likely not affiliated with the 6 or so recordings Slash said he recorded during COVID, right? I mean, that material should already have been mixed and mastered ages ago given Slash's comments last year about release timing.

They could have still been mixed in LA

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Is this sp1at reliable???

Yes

Had a site back in the day where he interviewed members and had good info , most of the info about Marco beltrami stuff for example comes from this guy. In my experience if he doesn't know then he says he doesn't know, if he says he does....then he does

Soulmonster & Blackstar can vouch for him better than I can, but I spoke to him the other day a bit about The General and he knows his stuff

Edited by Shacklermyrye