The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

You have no idea what they were doing in studio. I'm of the opinion it was not GnR related. And I GUARANTEE they were NOT listening to Tonto, Mustache, Realdoll.com, Dub Suplex, or any of those instrumentals 😂😂😂😂😂😂

If it wasn't GNR related, why would Axl bother to attend a studio with Slash....In your opinion? You're not gonna say, to listen to film scores are you? 🤔

Just now, Ollster42 said:

imagine a 2006 reunion, it would never have happened though

but an '06 lineup like Axl, Slash, Duff, Fortus, Matt Sorum, and then I suppose Axl would've wanted to keep Dizzy and Pitman

Absolute war machine.

Actually, a 2006 reunion did almost happen. Both Scott Weiland and that famous photographer whose name I can’t remember confirmed as much. It’s why we had the hybrid logo that year and a two-disc greatest hits that got canceled and whatnot. Eddie Trunk also implied that he heard whispers of a reunion almost happening that year.

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Just because those songs were instrumentals in 2000 or 2001, doesn’t mean they are that way today. That’s over 20 years ago. I would bet more than a few have been worked on since, even with vocal takes added. A number of instrumentals from that time got vocals within 5-7 years: Sorry, Shackler’s, Better, and even songs that were not included at all in those leaks like Scraped. Surely, there were others. Also, what leaked then was not everything the band had up to that point, only likely a majority of the material they considered for release. 

That’s could be. I just doubt it.

I’m no insider (because it’s important to specify that in this fanbase for some ridiculous reason) but it just doesn’t line up for me. I know vocals were recorded after 1999…I just think that they were used on Chinese Democracy.

Axl could have a treasure trove of completed Guns N’ Roses albums locked away in a vault complete with lyrics and vocals, sure.

But the fact that Absurd and Hard Skool were the first two leftovers released, and the third is clearly Perhaps, and they all happened to be from the Village Leaks, and they all happened to have completed vocals…it’s just all too much coincidence for me to have faith that there are more vocals laying around. I hope I’m wrong.

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Actually, a 2006 reunion did almost happen. Both Scott Weiland and that famous photographer whose name I can’t remember confirmed as much. It’s why we had the hybrid logo that year and a two-disc greatest hits that got canceled and whatnot. Eddie Trunk also implied that he heard whispers of a reunion almost happening that year.

You talking about when Duff allegedly flew in for Hamerstien Ballroom show? 

7 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

If it wasn't GNR related, why would Axl bother to attend a studio with Slash....In your opinion? You're not gonna say, to listen to film scores are you? 🤔

Trying to get Axl on that Barbie tune

5 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

That’s could be. I just doubt it.

I’m no insider (because it’s important to specify that in this fanbase for some ridiculous reason) but it just doesn’t line up for me. I know vocals were recorded after 1999…I just think that they were used on Chinese Democracy.

Axl could have a treasure trove of completed Guns N’ Roses albums locked away in a vault complete with lyrics and vocals, sure.

But the fact that Absurd and Hard Skool were the first two leftovers released, and the third is clearly Perhaps, and they all happened to be from the Village Leaks, and they all happened to have completed vocals…it’s just all too much coincidence for me to have faith that there are more vocals laying around. I hope I’m wrong.

Yup. Pele's theory has only been being proved more true. It's happening exactly as he said it would so far. 

• Like 2

Maybe Brain was confused.  If it was chicken wouldn’t it be “The Colonel” aka KFC and not “The General”?  Unless there’s a Generals Chicken in California I’m not aware of lol.

Edited by UYI4

3 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Well, not all of them, because he also recorded lyrics to Soul Monster and Going Down which have not been released yet. Of course, that could be the extent of it, but in my opinion there is most likely more, also because other people have implied Axl did record more.

6 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

That's most likely bullshit "insider" stuff. However, it seems that a (one off) reunion was close to happen. There was too much smoke.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5631-25-august-2004-may-2006-finalizing-chinese-democracy-lawsuits-return-to-nyc#22213

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, not all of them, because he also recorded lyrics to Soul Monster and Going Down which have not been released yet. Of course, that could be the extent of it, but in my opinion there is most likely more, also because other people have implied Axl did record more.

Going Down only has Axl on backing vocals, no? Wasn’t that from ‘99 as well? I imagine that that one is only a possibility if Duff re-records Tommy’s vocals. And didn’t Tommy write it?

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That's most likely bullshit "insider" stuff. However, it seems that a (one off) reunion was close to happen. There was too much smoke.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5631-25-august-2004-may-2006-finalizing-chinese-democracy-lawsuits-return-to-nyc#22213

Thanks i'll have a read

From what I remember that rumor only ever came from one source which makes it hard to trust obviously.

Edited by Shacklermyrye

Just now, SoulMonster said:

how could it be the extent of it, though, when Axl said in the revolver interview years ago that the second half of Chinese was completed for a long time? I don't believe he meant the instrumentals were completed for a long time with unfinished vocals, that doesn't really makes sense to me.

also, if 26 tunes were finished in 2006 and they had 6 more that they were working on at the time, that means Axl had at least 12 unreleased Chinese tunes with vocals ready to go that same year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

how could it be the extent of it, though, when Axl said in the revolver interview years ago that the second half of Chinese was completed for a long time? I don't believe he meant the instrumentals were completed for a long time with unfinished vocals, that doesn't really makes sense to me.

also, if 26 tunes were finished in 2006 and they had 6 more that they were working on at the time, that means Axl had at least 12 unreleased Chinese tunes with vocals ready to go that same year.

I was just being gracious to the ones who think Axl's been lying. Of course I am confident that there is more.

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think that tour manager confused Appetite era with Chinese era and kinda leaked that 29 songs had been finished, which kinda fits with the 26 songs finished and 6 more working at that time, 3 of them probably abandones.

Just now, Ollster42 said:

What was Pele's theory?

Lots of stuff but the things I disagreed with him about was this:

1. That Axl never recorded any vocals after 1999 which we haven't heard through leaks or releases. This meant that Axl explicitly lied about laying down vocals to Soul Monster.

2. That we will never get an new album from GN'R.

3. That the next two singles would be Perhaps and Atlas Shrugged.

I felt 1 was clearly wrong, and 2 and 3 just legitimate opinions presented at The Truth by him, over and over and over and over again, all over the board.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

2 and 3 just legitimate opinions presented at The Truth by him, over and over and over and over again, all over the board.

I’ve enjoyed our discourses over the past few years, but I just have to disagree with this. *Everyone’s* opinion is just that. He said multiple times that he wasn’t an insider, he was just adamant about his opinion. It’s no different from me - I hold the same opinions. And with Perhaps likely being released next, they’re even stronger.

Regarding Soul Monster (the song) - that’s an interesting one. I think a lot of the language used when working on this stuff can be read multiple different ways. When they say “we have a ton of songs in the vault,” they’re not lying…if they’re referring to instrumentals.

Soul Monster, though, is the only example of one where Axl specifically said he’s sang on, no? I forget his actual quote, but is it possible that he laid down some sort of guide vocal, a la Quicksong?

I dunno, Axl has said a lot of things over the years. It’s hard for me to trust him.

3 minutes ago, Dean said:

To add to what SM has mentioned, he also claimed that State of Grace and The General are the same song.

The only thing Pele’s said that I disagree with is that State of Grace is a good song. He liked it. I think it’s a dated, boring dirge of a tune.

8 minutes ago, Ollster42 said:

What was Pele's theory?

In short (and to add to the above) that all that exists with vocals is 4 or 5 songs (including OMG).

At first he also included KOHD from the Village leaks and Rock the Rock as potential future GN'R releases (:lol:) but then even he realized how  ridiculous that was.

26 minutes ago, UYI4 said:

Maybe Brain was confused.  If it was chicken wouldn’t it be “The Colonel” aka KFC and not “The General”?  Unless there’s a Generals Chicken in California I’m not aware of lol.

He’s probably referring to General Tso’s chicken, which is a popular Chinese takeout dish in the states.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Interesting read. I can believe it but can also see how Scott may have been paranoid, although that doesn't change the things like Izzy checking on Steven being indications.

In 2006 when all this was going on isn't that when Lush Productions were shooting that unreleased documentary? If there's any truth to it no wonder we never saw that thing come out.

The Rapidfire stuff is a sad story, spoke to Kevin briefly once seemed like a good bloke. Closure is a really good song

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In short (and to add to the above) that all that exists with vocals is 4 or 5 songs (including OMG).

At first he also included KOHD from the Village leaks and Rock the Rock as potential future GN'R releases (:lol:) but then even he realized how  ridiculous that was.

oh right does this "4 or 5" include hardschool and absurd? Or is it just the remaining ones like OMG, SOG, Perhaps, Atlas etc.

36 minutes ago, UYI4 said:

He was referring to General Tso’s Chicken. Not kfc.

44 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

Trying to get Axl on that Barbie tune

That was another piece of evidence, yes. Supposedly Buckethead was also considering coming back in 2006 if Duff was in and Stinson was out. Bumble was a last-minute edition. Robin and Fortus even reworked the songs to fit with just the two of them, in case neither Slash, Bucket, Bumble came on board.

The 2006 lineup went thru a lot of trial and error. Same with 2016.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

That’s kinda what happened.

This reunion has gone incredibly well. The band seems to be getting along. They’re playing consistent shows, starting on time, making a lot of money, making a lot of concert audiences happy (moreso on the nights Axl sounds semi-decent).

And all of this is because Axl is running the show.

Slash and Duff divorced themselves from the band in the mid 90s and it changed their perspective on it. In 1993, Slash and Duff were probably willing to fight for control with Axl over this stuff because at the time it was still *their* band just as much as it was his, in their eyes. They were still on a journey that began when the band got together in the 80s. It was still their imperial phase.

Fast forward 20+ years, after playing mostly theaters and clubs on their own, and their attitude is probably “hey, I left. This is Axl’s band now.” Of course, they wrote the songs with him. Of course, Slash and Duff are just as much a part of Guns N’ Roses as Axl is, in terms of the band’s history and songwriting and even legally with regards to the older work and artwork, etc.

But logistically and operationally, this is Axl’s band and that was probably made clear to Slash and Duff before they rejoined. That’s why they’re playing with Axl’s drummer and rhythm guitarist. That’s why there’s a second keyboardist/sampler in the band. It wasn’t a 3-man decision, it was Axl saying “this is who we’re rolling with, you guys good with that? Oh, the drummer isn’t to your liking? Work it out with him and get on the same page. See you at rehearsals.”

It’s similar to someone leaving a C-suite position at a large corporation but maintaining a seat on the board. That’s Slash and Duff - they sit at the table, but Axl is the CEO. I would even argue that perhaps Beta and Fernando have more sway than, say, Slash.

And a lot of that, again, is down to Slash and Duff being cool with it. Again, they have perspective: they left and went off on their own. In 1995, Slash still felt he had to protect his band, his legacy. 20 years later, he’s a  legend. An icon of music. He probably doesn’t *care* about when Guns is releasing new music. It’s more important for him to be friends with Axl and Duff and play these songs to adoring audiences in large venues than it is to fight with Axl again over the direction of new music. What once was important to Slash and Duff simple isn’t anymore. Their priorities have shifted.

That's about 95% correct.  Slash and Duff get to be back in G'n'R again.  They make a lot more money that way, but they're still just employees of Axl.  The main difference is that they're part of what made G'n'R famous so they have more clout than all the other employees over the last thirty years.  They're not waiting two hours for Axl to show up on stage, the music they write is not owned by Axl.  They might be willing to make new music for G'n'R but there's no sign of that seven years later.