The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

2 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Agreed completely. That’s why if you were to create a tiered view of influence, Slash and Duff are way above Richard and Frank, but below Axl.

The question is where TB falls on that hierarchy. My guess would be obviously below Axl, but slightly above Duff and Slash.

Duff and Slash certainly negotiated some things - this band used to be famously tardy, and now they take the stage on time more frequently than any normal rock band. Also, the fact that there’s been more or less a complete media blackout seems to be intentional and negotiated between managers. Can’t let “the media” come between you if you don’t talk to them.

I think TB is just standard for the people surrounding famous people.  Axl is officially in charge but TB only tells him what he wants to hear and nothing that makes them look bad.  Elvis and Michael Jackson lived most of their lives the same way, probably every major celebrity does that.  I doubt Slash and Duff have any contact with Axl if it's not showtime or something like that.

The way they treat the media shows that Slash and Duff are just employees.  They're not permitted to say why nothing is happening.  30 years ago they were co-owners of the band and could be more honest, now they just promote their solo work and make vague lies about how new G'n'R music will be out soon.  Probably can't do an interview with them unless you sign a form saying you will not ask any serious questions about G'n'R.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

But the fact that Absurd and Hard Skool were the first two leftovers released, and the third is clearly Perhaps, and they all happened to be from the Village Leaks, and they all happened to have completed vocals…it’s just all too much coincidence for me to have faith that there are more vocals laying around. 

I believe the leaks had an influence on which songs were on Chinese Democracy, in fact, all songs leaked were included, up to that point anyways in 2008. The same thing may have occurred for Hard Skool and Absurd.  Aside from that, it could be a coincidence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UYI4 said:

Can you imagine the shit this dude has seen and had to go through with Axl over the years.  Chasing him on stage.  Throwing that mic stand all over hell back in the day.  Dude really probably has extreme “patience” lol.

Wonder what part he played on the build up to and when the St. Louis riot kicked off...

Edited by kanecrescente

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

funny, I think Atlas is 10 times the song Perhaps is, but I still like it as well and I'm interested in hearing the changes that were made to it, especially by Slash.

Atlas is the most radio friendly song from the leaks and should have been the one they released first. it's got a catchy poppy chorus. It's also lyrically kind of relevant compared to the other songs. It's not gonna set the world on fire but it'll get mainstream radio play (if promoted properly like a normal band). Hard skool was a good rock radio single that died because they gave it zero promotion and marketing and a pathetic 3 month late lyric video. Absurd was bizarre, though i like it. Perhaps is probably the next most mainstream radio song from those. But it's chrous isnt catchy or poppy or singalong, so less mass appeal than atlas would have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

after Catcher leaked he said he was surprised that people who listened to it didn't have a positive enough of a response to Brian May's guitar contributions to the song and then it wasn't used in the released version.

so he cared at least back then when it came to Catcher, a song that he seemed eager to talk about in the Axl chats iirc.

Tommy said that Axl cares too much about what other people think of him or some shit like that.

To be fair, the quality wasn't great, to be able to objectively judge May's work....

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

To be fair, the quality wasn't great, to be able to objectively judge May's work....

I thought it was good enough to form an opinion, I guess Axl thought so too. I think Axl expected a more positive feedback from those who listened to the leaked version but from what I remember, a lot of posters liked May's work on it.

I think that Axl was also bothered by May's reaction after first listening to the track with his guitars on it ("but that's not what I played") cause Axl and Caram I think it was put it together by copy/pasting the solos together and eventhough May's public comments about it were positive, Axl seemed to not believe that Brian actually liked it and was sincere about it or that he was just trying to be polite.

a real shame, cause I consider that version to be a timeless classic. A similar thing happened with OMG but kinda in the opposite direction where maybe Axl let his excitement about the track and Jimmy Iovine's opinion to get the best of him and released it too early. Bob Ezrin's opinion, the label saying the album could be better and that Axl should continue to work on it some more, and RTB hating the tones/sounds and getting Gn'R to record Chinese twice probably didn't help either.

I think that despite Axl saying that Chinese was just an album didn't reflect his actions at the time of making it. A lot was riding on that album and my guess is he let himself and others get in the way of the music.

that includes the history of Gn'R and what they had created in the past and that led to a lot of changes to the final product, some of which I prefer, but some of the magic was lost imo and too much time was wasted tinkering with the same tunes for years and coming up with new ones like he had all the time in the world to release it and for it to be both an artistic and commercial success which in the end it wasn't.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I believe the leaks had an influence on which songs were on Chinese Democracy, in fact, all songs leaked were included, up to that point anyways in 2008. The same thing may have occurred for Hard Skool and Absurd.  Aside from that, it could be a coincidence. 

Eh, I dunno. If they had a knockout punch somewhere in the vault, the time to release it was the summer they released Absurd and Hard Skool, when they were trying to coax people back into arenas after Covid. I don’t think they’d go in chronological order (after all, there were songs written after HS and Absurd that made ChiDem).

And if not then, then certainly now. “Perhaps” is not that.

19 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Eh, I dunno. If they had a knockout punch somewhere in the vault, the time to release it was the summer they released Absurd and Hard Skool, when they were trying to coax people back into arenas after Covid. I don’t think they’d go in chronological order (after all, there were songs written after HS and Absurd that made ChiDem).

And if not then, then certainly now. “Perhaps” is not that.

what Axl said about This I Love and how he had no plans to release it and Robin had to convince him to include it on the album, a song that Axl considered to be the heaviest thing he ever wrote makes me think that maybe Axl chooses what to release and in what order is not just based on which tunes he considers the "big guns" or the aaa material so maybe there are factors that we're not aware of.

if that's true, then what he managed to release up to this point like Absurd and HS doesn't reflect the overall quality of his what remains unreleased in his "vault".

he seems to be attached to certain songs which might have a deep meaning to him. Just speculation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Rovim said:

he seems to be attached to certain songs which might have a deep meaning to him. Just speculation.

I’d say that’s more than speculation.  It’s fact. You only have to know the history of November Rain and all the effort he put into getting that right for years and years.  It’s obsessive perfectionism.  Something that makes Axl, Axl. 

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I thought it was good enough to form an opinion, I guess Axl thought so too. I think Axl expected a more positive feedback from those who listened to the leaked version but from what I remember, a lot of posters liked May's work on it.

I think that Axl was also bothered by May's reaction after first listening to the track with his guitars on it ("but that's not what I played") cause Axl and Caram I think it was put it together by copy/pasting the solos together and eventhough May's public comments about it were positive, Axl seemed to not believe that Brian actually liked it and was sincere about it or that he was just trying to be polite.

a real shame, cause I consider that version to be a timeless classic. A similar thing happened with OMG but kinda in the opposite direction where maybe Axl let his excitement about the track and Jimmy Iovine's opinion to get the best of him and released it too early. Bob Ezrin's opinion, the label saying the album could be better and that Axl should continue to work on it some more, and RTB hating the tones/sounds and getting Gn'R to record Chinese twice probably didn't help either.

I think that despite Axl saying that Chinese was just an album didn't reflect his actions at the time of making it. A lot was riding on that album and my guess is he let himself and others get in the way of the music.

that includes the history of Gn'R and what they had created in the past and that led to a lot of changes to the final product, some of which I prefer, but some of the magic was lost imo and too much time was wasted tinkering with the same tunes for years and coming up with new ones like he had all the time in the world to release it and for it to be both an artistic and commercial success which in the end it wasn't.  

Nice detailed thoughts there..for sure, Axl being a massive Queen fan, I'm sure he would of loved to be on a song with May and to be honest, things like that would of added more press interest as it released...who knows, maybe we'll get bits of May yet on the others. Do we know all the tracks for sure that BM worked on. Was it 3 (or more?) 

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I’d say that’s more than speculation.  It’s fact. You only have to know the history of November Rain and all the effort he put into getting that right for years and years.  It’s obsessive perfectionism.  Something that makes Axl, Axl. 

Even still working on it in 2022...with the update on the remaster!!!

11 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

.who knows, maybe we'll get bits of May yet on the others. Do we know all the tracks for sure that BM worked on. Was it 3 (or more?) 

with Slash back in Gn'R, I highly doubt it. May worked on Catcher, Atlas, and Riad. Just those 3 afaik.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

They're trying to release a single. What does that mean? If You want to release something You release it and that's it. Maybe he meant Slash and Duff are trying to convince Axl to release something hahah

Probably has more to do with how the label wants to release it / market it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea...but aren't there bits of old members on the two singles? Like Bucket....

yeah, but Bucket's work was already on a Gn'R album, so at least for me it's more logical that a low number of insignificant and small Bucket parts makes it to some of the tracks but not Brian May who was never a part of Gn'R or was featured in Gn'R's officially released music. (you never know though)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChrisW said:

I think TB is just standard for the people surrounding famous people.  Axl is officially in charge but TB only tells him what he wants to hear and nothing that makes them look bad.  Elvis and Michael Jackson lived most of their lives the same way, probably every major celebrity does that.  I doubt Slash and Duff have any contact with Axl if it's not showtime or something like that.

The way they treat the media shows that Slash and Duff are just employees.  They're not permitted to say why nothing is happening.  30 years ago they were co-owners of the band and could be more honest, now they just promote their solo work and make vague lies about how new G'n'R music will be out soon.  Probably can't do an interview with them unless you sign a form saying you will not ask any serious questions about G'n'R.

Yeah… I wanna hear about how slash got his Top hat…. Again 🤦

• Like 1