The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

So I’m confused about something:

If Tom Mayhue has been Axl’s mic tech since the beginning, then what did he do during the “dark ages” of 1993-2001 when there were no shows? Is he a studio mic tech too? Did Axl keep him on the payroll that whole time just for the fuck of it?

Also, if his brother is McBob, then why was Axl cool with keeping Tom around during the NuGNR vs VR days? Axl knew that McBob was with Velvet Revolver, right? That must’ve been kinda awkward (especially for the two brothers caught in opposite sides of the war).

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

If Tom Mayhue has been Axl’s mic tech since the beginning, then what did he do during the “dark ages” of 1993-2001 when there were no shows? Is he a studio mic tech too? Did Axl keep him on the payroll that whole time just for the fuck of it?

Also, if his brother is McBob, then why was Axl cool with keeping Tom around during the NuGNR vs VR days? Axl knew that McBob was with Velvet Revolver, right? That must’ve been kinda awkward (especially for the two brothers caught in opposite sides of the war).

He wouldn’t have been in the studio as live techs don’t get involved there - studios/producers have their own engineers. Knowing Axl he just kept him on retainer but I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️ I presume he went out and toured with other bands. 

with the brother thing, the music biz is pretty small, a lot of cross contamination- if axl fired everyone with a prior/current association to his rivals, he’d have no one left to work with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

If Tom Mayhue has been Axl’s mic tech since the beginning, then what did he do during the “dark ages” of 1993-2001 when there were no shows?

Working on other tours and with other artists? He seems to have been working with Seal in the late 90s, and Whitesnake e.g.

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

He's a stage tech, so he toured with other bands. McBob was also Bumblefoot's tech. Here is an interview with Tom from about 5 years ago:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Axl S said:

What are you smoking?

Other bands are capable of doing this no problem. All of that could have been figured out before they started touring.

The perfect time to release songs to promote a tour... Would be before a tour! Not wait till it starts and debut it live.

1. I don’t smoke. 

2. This is GnR we are talking about here. 

3. See number 2. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UYI4 said:

Let’s take a moment and recognize how much of a badass 4tus is.  Don’t get me wrong I’ll always love slash.  He’s why I play guitar.  However, those solos today in kohd…..4tus playing is tighter, cleaner and just sings more than Slice.  Even his guitar amp tones sound a bit cleaner.

4tus and Slash are like Mick Taylor and Keith Richards in the Rolling Stones' prime. In that they trade between lead and rhythm parts seamlessly. (And that the less famous of each pair - 4tus/Mick - frequently outplays the more famous one - Slash/Keith). 

Izzy and Slash were like Ronnie Wood and Keith - magically weaving around eachother, albeit with a clear lead guitarist. 

Ashba,4tus and Bumble was ... its own thing entirely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I wish/hope they utilize Fortus in more of a lead guitar role on future studio material. If they re-record all or most of Bucket's parts, he would be the man for the job if the songs themselves demand more technical playing. 

Slash is the man for the job if it's a guitar job in Gn'R in the lead department. He could play over any chord progression in his style and if he gives enough of a shit, it should sound good, and the most Gn'R.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I wish/hope they utilize Fortus in more of a lead guitar role on future studio material. If they re-record all or most of Bucket's parts, he would be the man for the job if the songs themselves demand more technical playing. 

Slash sells. Richard doesn't. They'll use Slash in every possible opportunity and barely even use Richard, if they can.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Cosmo said:

Slash sells. Richard doesn't. They'll use Slash in every possible opportunity and barely even use Richard, if they can.

it's like having Hendrix in your band and letting Noel play the solo. A less inspired Hendrix, but still. In his worst day and all that.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Interesting! So that was Robin's playing on all of the leaks. I wonder why they would have Bumblefoot re-record that when Robin was still in the band? 

Probably because the solo wasn't very good IMO. Robin just played a couple of bends in that weird way and Bucket shredded aimlessly. To me, the Vegas 01 perfomance was the best from both in this solo. The studio one wasn't that great.

Robin also got replaced on Catcher, I believe. First by Brian May, and then by Bumblefoot. Some of his solo still survived, tho - it's the same lead that survived both guitarists and kinda complements the main solo. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Slash is the man for the job if it's a guitar job in Gn'R in the lead department. He could play over any chord progression in his style and if he gives enough of a shit, it should sound good, and the most Gn'R.

I get that, but if we have yet to hear unheard songs in the style of Scraped, Shackler's etc. I'm not so sure Slash could come up with a fitting solo to fit the style of those songs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Probably because the solo wasn't very good IMO. Robin just played a couple of bends in that weird way and Bucket shredded aimlessly.

I wouldn't say that's an accurate description of Robin and Bucket's playing on GN'R material. Did you listen to the locker leaks, and the 2008 album? I get Slash is iconic, comes up with good riffs, etc. but he's far from being the best as far as technical ability, and he's one of the first to admit that. It works for a lot of GN'R material, but not the more evolved CD material. He did do a decent job with Absurd. Hard Skool, was okay but I prefer Robin's work on that song.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sausagebrain said:

4tus and Slash are like Mick Taylor and Keith Richards in the Rolling Stones' prime. In that they trade between lead and rhythm parts seamlessly. (And that the less famous of each pair - 4tus/Mick - frequently outplays the more famous one - Slash/Keith). 

Izzy and Slash were like Ronnie Wood and Keith - magically weaving around eachother, albeit with a clear lead guitarist. 

Ashba,4tus and Bumble was ... its own thing entirely.

Yeah - minus the songwriting

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I get that, but if we have yet to hear unheard songs in the style of Scraped, Shackler's etc. I'm not so sure Slash could come up with a fitting solo to fit the style of those songs. 

Slash can play many styles, if it's Gn'R, it should fit his style of playing as well imo.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He's a stage tech, so he toured with other bands. McBob was also Bumblefoot's tech. Here is an interview with Tom from about 5 years ago:

I just realised, he is the tour guy from Trailer park Boys. I knew I recognized him from some where.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DSTK said:

He can't play any Chinese solos without making a mess of it ...just let Richard do those 

I don't think we're going to agree on this and that's fine. I just think that Richard is there to play mostly rhythm and Slash is there to do most of the solos and I enjoy some of his versions of the Chinese solos so...

• Like 4