The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

10 minutes ago, Sausagebrain said:

The 'Kitchen Sink' approach only works if care is taken to place all the instrumental and vocal parts carefully in the mix, and record them properly and even write good parts in the first place (examples of where this worked - Chinese Democracy, early Queen albums, 70s Todd Rundgren albums). 

In the case of Be Here Now, Oasis seemed to have just slapped a load of guitar parts and orchestras on top of eachother, and then fucked off down the pub. 

And yet I still like it!

That's what Noel did do wasn't it!?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I really like OMG as it was. I much prefer the original version instead of the Bucket/Brain rework (there's no Bumblefoot on it). The only real problem to me is that Josh Freese's drums are mixed very poorly with almost no snare sound.

It's a shame because if you isolate his drums on that song they are insane

5 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

That’s called ‘a bad mix’. For further information please listen to ‘…And Justice for All’ by Metallica, ‘Van Halen III’ by VH or ‘Be Here Now’ by Oasis. 

a bad mix is not synonymous with a ‘demo’. 

Bingo - it’s the mix that’s the problem…a remix without anything else done would be awesome.

re AJFA…..it’s odd but it works. Death Magnetic is a dreadful mix though - easily the one I wish they would revisit.

Back on topic….🤣

Edited by DTJ80

8 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

It's a shame because if you isolate his drums on that song they are insane

I know. Maybe with some improved AI we could isolate the snare sound and improve it?

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

Bingo - it’s the mix that’s the problem…a remix without anything else done would be awesome.

That would be my choice. I really, really like Dave Navarro's solo, but that would be the 1st thing Axl would replace on it. 

8 hours ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

I think that’s clever work by the way they set up, given Clash At The Castle was giving away tickets in Cardiff, they’re known to do it too in the US, as well as only showing you the hard camera side which is set up for the razzle dazzle. I’m not favouriting one or the other, it’s all bad.

The only selling out stadium artist nowadays are pretty much your Taylor Swifts and the like.

Nah WWE is legit in a boom period. They've been doing legitimate sell outs for house shows and having all time gate and merch records set every couple of weeks. Part of that is inflation of prices of course, but also they've been on fire pretty much since the return to full crowds.

9 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I wonder why OMG was only played live before the '02 Tour ... That last performance at Rio was so killer ... So many mystery's during the ChiDem period that will never be answered 

Good question. People said the Joint 01 perfomances were highlights of those nights too. 

Maybe the song, along with Silkworms, was deprioritized when they started to add more and more stuff from Bucket. 

22 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Good question. People said the Joint 01 perfomances were highlights of those nights too. 

Maybe the song, along with Silkworms, was deprioritized when they started to add more and more stuff from Bucket. 

But on the '02 tour they only played three ChiDem songs regularly (the title track, Madagascar, and The Blues), with just a handful of Riad performances. Can see why Bucket got frustrated, the setlist would only add a couple more ChiDem tracks in '06/'07, wasn't until the '09/'10 tour that they really played ChiDem songs for a good portion of the setlist.

28 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I always thought they got dropped early on because by then Axl had decided they wouldn't be on the album. And the 2002 shows were for a broader audience so it was probably a case of realising they might be a bit unusual for the kind of nostalgia show they were touring in 2002, despite the new members. 

• GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I always thought they got dropped early on because by then Axl had decided they wouldn't be on the album. And the 2002 shows were for a broader audience so it was probably a case of realising they might be a bit unusual for the kind of nostalgia show they were touring in 2002, despite the new members. 

That still doesn't explain why the ChiDem band through all its iterations from 2002-2014 didnt play OMG or Silkworms ONCE. I would just like to know why, but I know that question will never be answered.

Are there any indications OMG has been seriously considered for release or live performance since the reunion? I find it hard to believe the current band would prefer to re-release it over officially unheard material like Perhaps or The General. Just because Axl continued to play around with it after its release means little in the current context of the band.

OMG is best left in the past, and indications for new material relate to Perhaps (and maybe The General). Who knows when we will get a release, but I don't think one setlist or a few shows missing a rehearsal of Perhaps mean anything. Remember, we saw an official video that featured a worker flicking through song cards that included Perhaps and possibly The General not more than a week and a half ago.

1 minute ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Are there any indications OMG has been seriously considered for release or live performance since the reunion? I find it hard to believe the current band would prefer to re-release it over officially unheard material like Perhaps or The General. Just because Axl continued to play around with it after its release means little in the current context of the band.

OMG is best left in the past, and indications for new material relate to Perhaps (and maybe The General). Who knows when we will get a release, but I don't think one setlist or a few shows missing a rehearsal of Perhaps mean anything. Remember, we saw an official video that featured a worker flicking through song cards that included Perhaps and possibly The General not more than a week and a half ago.

When it showed up in the alt lists, I always considered it another “CD” song that Slash and Duff were being generous to play for Axl, I didn’t think it was ever going to be re-released. Especially because when it did show up it was 2017 or 2018 and new music was nowhere near on their mind then. Not that it’s much more on their mind now but you know what I mean.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I doubt it, wasn't even taken seriously back in '08:

Q : What does the future hold for 'OMG'?

A: There’s a remix w/lots of new vocals and a wilder guitar intro but it’s not taken all that seriously. (Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com forum, Dec. 2008)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

When it showed up in the alt lists, I always considered it another “CD” song that Slash and Duff were being generous to play for Axl, I didn’t think it was ever going to be re-released. Especially because when it did show up it was 2017 or 2018 and new music was nowhere near on their mind then. Not that it’s much more on their mind now but you know what I mean.

Wasn’t perfect crime on that list too though 

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

I really like OMG as it was. I much prefer the original version instead of the Bucket/Brain rework (there's no Bumblefoot on it). The only real problem to me is that Josh Freese's drums are mixed very poorly with almost no snare sound.

When you say Brain Bucket rework, was that just the Bumble leak that was hard panned, making it easy to remove Bumble?

Listening to the 99 version not on YouTube, actually from the album and it's not as demo like as I thought. The drums are mixed a little bit weird with barely any snare but the rest sounds really cool. His vocals are compressed to fuck though. 

36 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Why all this talk of OMG coming out again? 

Speculation based on the old 'was in the alt playlist years ago' thing? 

I like it personally, but can't say another release of it seems very necessary.....

I guess as it was never REALLY released (finished) hence why Axl had hired guns tinkering with it long after release, all the way up to Bumble....so I guess the captain didn't considering OMG "done" with, even if we do? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Amir said:

But on the '02 tour they only played three ChiDem songs regularly (the title track, Madagascar, and The Blues), with just a handful of Riad performances. Can see why Bucket got frustrated, the setlist would only add a couple more ChiDem tracks in '06/'07, wasn't until the '09/'10 tour that they really played ChiDem songs for a good portion of the setlist.

At least Riad was played in 2002. IMO, it's one of the most difficult songs for Axl to sing, even though back then he could actually hit those high notes live. I can only imagine how good could be TWAT in 2002, with Axl capable of singing it just fine and Bucket playing the shit out of it (albeit he would probably improvise a lot on it).

22 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Still, OMG was already released back then, but wasn't even considered to be in the alt setlist, as far as I remember. It's also hard to sing, but for a different reason (hard to breath between the lyrics). But yeah, the band had this approach to try to prove itself by playing almost every song of AFD, with very little UYI tracks and those three CD songs (sometimes they even dropped one of them in European festivals, like Leeds).

16 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

That still doesn't explain why the ChiDem band through all its iterations from 2002-2014 didnt play OMG or Silkworms ONCE. I would just like to know why, but I know that question will never be answered.

They would probably play OMG and Silkworms in 2011 had the band moved forward with the plan of release the remix album with the extra tracks such as those two with Bucket and Bumble and Going Down. As we know, it all went downhill after RIR '11. 

Before that, I don't know. Seemed like Silkworms was dropped by Axl as early as 2002, and in 2006 they already had TWAT, Better and IRS to incorporate on the setlist. OMG may had to be dropped because it wouldn't be in the album anyways, and the album was about to be finished and released in that year (of course, we know that didn't happen).

• GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

When you say Brain Bucket rework, was that just the Bumble leak that was hard panned, making it easy to remove Bumble?

No, I meant that the right channel is all Bucket, there's no Bumblefoot in there in OMG. In Silkworms (at 3:03) and Going Down (from 4:04) there's also some Bucket solos there too in the right channel. 

There was a time when Fernando and even Beta would speak with the "hardcore" fans albeit rarely, on the forum and without much substance. I think back then there was a real pressure to get Chinese finally out...sorta. Even so, we were acknowledged. Why can't they weigh in on new music now? Probably because there is so little expectation. The entire music industry knew the joke that was Chinese Democracy. Who outside of internet forums is looking forward to hearing The General? Lol. 

Who remembers Merk?

Mercuriadis wrote. "Unfortunately the muse disappeared just as fast as she came and the tour started with no single at radio to support it and the album still needing two or three days of work