The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

34 minutes ago, UYI4 said:

Not seeing perhaps on YouTube at all anymore.  Also googling the general Guns N’ Roses brings up a link to a song with a terminated account. Wonder if someone did try and post a real one.

There's still one, uploaded a month ago. But yes, most of them were deleted by Universal in recent weeks.

1 hour ago, ChrisW said:

No one at Dr. Pepper woke up one day and decided to make an ad about some old band releasing an album.  Either Axl did it himself or (more likely) someone with authority to speak in his name, Geffen or Brazil.  They called Dr. Pepper and they worked out a way to promote an album that was ready to be released.

Best Buy was probably the same thing.  In theory, it might have been a scam, but Geffen (or whoever) wanted to try bringing back some of the money they'd spent and suckered Best Buy, but it was probably a private deal.  'You'll lose a lot of money here but make it up over there.'

And this is why Axl wanted to be in charge, so everyone else has to run around trying to do something for him.  He doesn't need to do anything.  The Chinese Democracy sessions didn't start in 1998, Axl's employees had been bringing in new music since 1994 and he rejected it.  It hadn't become the eventual "Chinese Democracy" album but that is when the sessions started.  Axl just had to keep replacing employees over and over until Geffen finally told him enough, the album was done.

Axl doesn't want to create music, he wants to give orders.  Other people sit around, recording over and over, they have no idea if anything will be done with their work and it's fully owned by Axl's company.  Notice that when Slash talks about working on a new album, he mentions how many songs they have and gives details on pre-production and production, but when he's talking about new G'n'R music, he had no details at all, not even how many tracks there are.  Like everyone else, he's an employee who is not permitted to say anything, and that's why there's no new music.  There's not even any more old music.

Since the news came out, I'd been checking their wikipedia page to see if "Perhaps" had been added to the list of releases, which other bands do.  The page never got changed.  Whoever's in charge is just seeing who will believe there's actually a new song coming out and who will still pay lots of money to hear "It's So Easy, so fuckin easy, It's so easy, so damn easy, It's so easy, so fuckin easy, It's so easy, yeah it's so easy, It's so easy, so fuckin easy..."

Boy, I’d sure love to disagree with you.

But I can’t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ChrisW said:

No one at Dr. Pepper woke up one day and decided to make an ad about some old band releasing an album.  Either Axl did it himself or (more likely) someone with authority to speak in his name, Geffen or Brazil.  They called Dr. Pepper and they worked out a way to promote an album that was ready to be released.

Best Buy was probably the same thing.  In theory, it might have been a scam, but Geffen (or whoever) wanted to try bringing back some of the money they'd spent and suckered Best Buy, but it was probably a private deal.  'You'll lose a lot of money here but make it up over there.'

And this is why Axl wanted to be in charge, so everyone else has to run around trying to do something for him.  He doesn't need to do anything.  The Chinese Democracy sessions didn't start in 1998, Axl's employees had been bringing in new music since 1994 and he rejected it.  It hadn't become the eventual "Chinese Democracy" album but that is when the sessions started.  Axl just had to keep replacing employees over and over until Geffen finally told him enough, the album was done.

Axl doesn't want to create music, he wants to give orders.  Other people sit around, recording over and over, they have no idea if anything will be done with their work and it's fully owned by Axl's company.  Notice that when Slash talks about working on a new album, he mentions how many songs they have and gives details on pre-production and production, but when he's talking about new G'n'R music, he had no details at all, not even how many tracks there are.  Like everyone else, he's an employee who is not permitted to say anything, and that's why there's no new music.  There's not even any more old music.

Since the news came out, I'd been checking their wikipedia page to see if "Perhaps" had been added to the list of releases, which other bands do.  The page never got changed.  Whoever's in charge is just seeing who will believe there's actually a new song coming out and who will still pay lots of money to hear "It's So Easy, so fuckin easy, It's so easy, so damn easy, It's so easy, so fuckin easy, It's so easy, yeah it's so easy, It's so easy, so fuckin easy..."

I believe it was Kaneda who made the Dr. Pepper thing happen. He was a poster here as well. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Maystar said:

There are Cd's still available sure, but at least here in Australia you can't buy them new, only used copies or old copies from ebay and such. 

Most retailers sell new prints of AFD, UYI and even TSI but no new prints of ChiDem, which I would prefer over a used or old copy.

At the end of the day I'll probably buy one of those old copies, but I'll wait awhile, they ain't going up in price!

Is Australia moving away from physical media altogether? I saw that Disney isn't doing Blu-Ray/DVD's anymore 

22 hours ago, ChrisW said:

unironically very informative post.

Just now, 2020_Intensions said:

Yeah, aren't Slash and Duff actual partners in GnR? The rest of the band are technically employees, right?

Right. And Slash and Duff weren't employees in 1994, either.

There's no doubt that the decisions to release anything ultimately depend on Axl, however it's factually inaccurate to say that Slash and Duff were or are employees.

56 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Right. And Slash and Duff weren't employees in 1994, either.

There's no doubt that the decisions to release anything ultimately depend on Axl, however it's factually inaccurate to say that Slash and Duff were or are employees.

I think it's obvious that all involved don't regard the band in any way close to the same way we hardcore fans do. They can tour any region of the world, as many times as they want, play new (different) songs each tour, and have a blast the whole time. I can't see any internal turmoil over a lack of "new" music. As I said before, I'm sure from a creative standpoint Slash & Duff look at UYI as the "end" of GnR. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

If you're not making decisions, you're not the owner.  Axl owned 100% of the band for twenty years and got everything his way, there's no reason to hand over 2/3 ownership for free.

Owned 100% of the "NuGnR" band, yes. Didn't own the back catalogue though (he shared ownership with Slash and Duff), where a lot, if not most, of the money came from. And there are other things where ownership rights can be shared apart from new releases, e.g. touring revenues.

12 hours ago, ChrisW said:

If you're not making decisions, you're not the owner.  Axl owned 100% of the band for twenty years and got everything his way, there's no reason to hand over 2/3 ownership for free.

He hasn't handed anything over to slash and duff. NU GNR didn't operate under the partnership, it was a separate entity, the current line up does. 

Slash and Duff have more pull than previous employees but that's all they are.  If they write and record a new song tomorrow, do they outvote Axl and make it G'n'R's new single?  If they want to play that new song in concert next week, do they outvote Axl?

They don't make the decisions.  Axl does.

6 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Slash and Duff have more pull than previous employees but that's all they are.  If they write and record a new song tomorrow, do they outvote Axl and make it G'n'R's new single?  If they want to play that new song in concert next week, do they outvote Axl?

They can be minor partners as in Acl could have 51% and both of them together have like 49%. This way Axl has the final say and they get their % of ticket and album sales instead of a fixed amount of money per concert like Richard, Frank, Dizzy and Melissa probably have.

31 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

...and that's exactly the score they signed up knowing....

Edited by colonizedmind

49 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

In reality things never operated with members voting anyway, although it was legally a partnership (and in general, it rarely happens that way in real life). Even in the late '80s/early '90s nothing happened if Axl didn't want it to, because they knew the band could implode if he wasn't happy. That doesn't mean that the band were his employees

• Like 4

My guess is it's a case of not seeing the point of rocking the boat unnecessarily with Slash and Duff. Both have avenues to release new music outside of Guns and Slash's solo band has become super successful. It's kind of the best both worlds for them I think - play the hits with GN'R and have a decent payday in the process and do the creatively fulfilling stuff away from GN'R and because they're in Guns again no one expects them to fill the set with tons of GN'R songs during their solo shows so there's more freedom live as well.

I think if a reunion album was ever on the cards it would have happened at the beginning like with Sabbath and The Smashing Pumpkins. I don't see a new record ever happening to be honest - at the rate the Chinese leftovers are coming out it could be ten years before they've worked through them by which time they'll be in their 70s. I mean, that doesn't mean they won't do a new record - Deep Purple are still putting stuff out but any initial excitement about the reunion will have long died down by then. I'd love to be wrong though! 

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 2

They get paid more money than other employees, that's it.  The orders come from one person.

One of these days, I'm going to collect all the quotes from employees since 1994 about how much they've accomplished on the next album and it'll be out real soon.  Take off the names and dates of the person saying it and there's no way to know which quotes come from Slash or Duff.

2 hours ago, ChrisW said:

They get paid more money than other employees, that's it.  The orders come from one person.

One of these days, I'm going to collect all the quotes from employees since 1994 about how much they've accomplished on the next album and it'll be out real soon.  Take off the names and dates of the person saying it and there's no way to know which quotes come from Slash or Duff.

Yep, sadly that's the reality. The reunion was effectively Slash joining NuGuns as Duff was practically back in the band considering Tommy was busy with The Replacements. The band's run exactly the same way, although at least some singles are actually coming out now, although were it not for the leaks I wonder if they'd actually have ever seen the light of day officially. 

I think two crucial differences though are that Axl seems to have matured and Slash and Duff evidently hold more sway than the past guys they're able to go off and do other stuff without worrying that the bat signal will suddenly go up and Axl will announce a tour. That seems to be the main reason Ron left. 

7 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Ummm yeah, we all want to do it err...it's about sitting down and seeing what we have err... It's a case of knowing how to do it, bands don't really release music these days but everyone wants to do it. 

(4tus, 2002-forever)

• Like 1