The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

On 11/16/2023 at 9:18 PM, TiedHands said:

I simply refuse to believe that anyone could seriously think the released version of Hard Skool is in any way better than the demo lol

Better guitars for one on the updated version 

Neither are great, the demos mix had a bit more dynamics, but the solo was rubbish. Splitting hairs saying one is far superior though

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Doesn't mean AI doesn't exist or that it doesn't create art.  If AI plays better guitar than Slash, why shouldn't it replace him in Guns'n'Roses?

Why not go all the way? Let's let robots do the gigs, machines make the music and then we could just dispense with musicians altogether. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Better guitars for one on the updated version 

Neither are great, the demos mix had a bit more dynamics, but the solo was rubbish. Splitting hairs saying one is far superior though

It would have been one thing if they only re-did the guitars, they reworked the entire song into trash, and mixed it as such. Lifeless drums, loud guitars. Just replacing Finck and Tommy and keeping the mix similar to the 2000 mix would have been acceptable. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

It would have been one thing if they only re-did the guitars, they reworked the entire song into trash, and mixed it as such. Lifeless drums, loud guitars. Just replacing Finck and Tommy and keeping the mix similar to the 2000 mix would have been acceptable. 

For all we know the released version sounds like a 2006 demo (similar to Absurd)

16 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

For all we know the released version sounds like a 2006 demo (similar to Absurd)

Possible, but I highly doubt that as Perhaps was less changed and they wouldn't have had a reason if they kept Tommy and Robin's parts.

17 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

If HS had Brain drums and a mix like Perhaps there would be a fraction of complaints about it. I'm still crossing my fingers and toes for just that on an "album version" if that ever happens.

HS would absolutely need a remix if they included it on an album with Perhaps. Absurd, less so but it could use work. Both would need to be re-mastered as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bmus1 said:

If HS had Brain drums and a mix like Perhaps there would be a fraction of complaints about it. I'm still crossing my fingers and toes for just that on an "album version" if that ever happens.

All the singles have had Brain on them. The problem with Hardschool's drums is they've been edited to the point of sounding like a drum machine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

All the singles have had Brain on them. The problem with Hardschool's drums is they've been edited to the point of sounding like a drum machine.

I don't know if this was ever confirmed, I remember the credits for HS not being posted up like Absurd and Perhaps were.

10 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

I don't know if this was ever confirmed, I remember the credits for HS not being posted up like Absurd and Perhaps were.

It was confirmed, but it'll take me a while to find the screenshot. Maybe @Blackstar can post the site that has the Hardschool credits - Freese has a 1% writing credit but I'm sure Brain was listed as a performer.

25 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It was confirmed, but it'll take me a while to find the screenshot. Maybe @Blackstar can post the site that has the Hardschool credits - Freese has a 1% writing credit but I'm sure Brain was listed as a performer.

Brain wasn't listed as a performer in the HS credits. There were basically no credits regarding the performers - the writing credits have been published and Freese has 1% of the publishing for co-writing it.

The information that Brain plays on HS is from Melissa's website.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

HS would absolutely need a remix if they included it on an album with Perhaps. Absurd, less so but it could use work. Both would need to be re-mastered as well.

If all these leftovers were put on actual album, they'd all require a new mix and master.

It would sound like total garbage if you just threw these songs on an album willy nilly. Listening to these songs one after the other is a rough listen.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

If all these leftovers were put on actual album, they'd all require a new mix and master.

It would sound like total garbage if you just threw these songs on an album willy nilly. Listening to these songs one after the other is a rough listen.

I couldn't agree more. I've made various mix CDs with these re-re-reheated leftovers and going from or to Hard Skool is jarring since it's so loud and soulless (no dynamics).

24 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Josh > brain > sorum > adler > ferrer

I couldn't have said it better.

• Like 1

I figured with the NITL lineup they would have had Slash re-do some solos, some other leads, Duff the same with bass, and release that album to get it out of the way and we would have that at the new album. (CD2, basically)

The slow drip of singles or EPs is maddening. The production and mixing all over the place, it's far worse than I could have ever imagined. At least (aside from Slash's solo) Perhaps is decent, but if the final production Monsters and The General is close to the leaks, what a joke. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Well that intro was surplus to requirements, so it did need to be adjusted. But agree that the finished product missed the mark on several fronts

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxlRQ93 said:

Id say the same except

Josh > Brain = Adler > Sorum >>>>>>> Ferrer

Josh, Brain and Steve are 10/10. Sorum is 8/10. Ferrer is just terrible 

Full respect to Josh, but he's ultimately a guy who recorded a bunch of demos. He never played live with the band and outside of oh my god didn't appear on anything official, he cannot be compared with people that actually played the back catalogue. We may as well include Dave Abruzzese in the list while we're at it.

As for best to worst... I don't know, certain things each drummer does are favourites of mine, including Frank. I don't see why it has to be a competition. But, Frank is not a terrible drummer or a terrible fit for gnr. People act like Brain was playing faithful versions of the old gnr songs, he was not he took equal liberties and sometimes it was really cool and other times it wasn't. I could say that about Matt too, or Steven. None of them are perfect drummers. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slugworth said:

Agreed, If you play the released Hard Skool after the released Perhaps for example it sounds ludicrous. They would all have to be new mix's and then mastered to sound right next to each other.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Full respect to Josh, but he's ultimately a guy who recorded a bunch of demos. He never played live with the band and outside of oh my god didn't appear on anything official, he cannot be compared with people that actually played the back catalogue. We may as well include Dave Abruzzese in the list while we're at it.

As for best to worst... I don't know, certain things each drummer does are favourites of mine, including Frank. I don't see why it has to be a competition. But, Frank is not a terrible drummer or a terrible fit for gnr. People act like Brain was playing faithful versions of the old gnr songs, he was not he took equal liberties and sometimes it was really cool and other times it wasn't. I could say that about Matt too, or Steven. None of them are perfect drummers. 

i think each dude was perfect for the time they were in…Sorum wouldn’t have fit in the AFD band at all but worked for illusion. Adler prob wouldn’t have worked for illusion….I’d prefer Adler or Sorum or behind the kit now. Just don’t think frank fits it 

• Like 2

My biggest issue with Frank is that he's got a leaden kick drum foot.  He's a powerful drummer, but, he's lumbering and straight-forward, not swinging nor groovy at ALL.  Kinda like the difference between Bill Ward and Vinny Appice, if you're a Sabbath fan.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1