The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

2 hours ago, DeNfr said:

nah, true, 4 new tracks realised with their respective videos in the last years, Duff talking
publicly about a potential new GNR song, nothing indicates new activity on the part of
the group, it's like we're in 2000 again... 🤡

As I said, do you think they will 'write and record' a new album then? Fair enough if so, but as my post speculated,  there can't be that many left that think that now. 

Also- what's with the clown face? Is it a needless and futile attempt at an insult? If so, why? 

Edited by allwaystired

20 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I suppose it's quite quaint that this thread still gets attention. 

There can't be too many people left around who think that GNR will ever write and record a new album now. 

Is this thread only for people who believe the band will write and release a new record? What about us who simply hope for albums with the remaining CD era songs? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Is this thread only for people who believe the band will write and release a new record? What about us who simply hope for albums with the remaining CD era songs? 

I see your point. Yeah I think a collection of these songs might get released in an album form, so HS, Absurd, Perhaps, General, maybe Atlas and Monsters, topped up with some live stuff. 

Whether that's an album or not- I don't know. Some people don't think Lies is a proper album either so that's a matter of opinion. 

I do think that the writing and recording of new material days of this band are done now though. Which I reckon is probably a more commonly held view than the idea that they'll write and record anything new at this stage. 

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I see your point. Yeah I think a collection of these songs might get released in an album form, so HS, Absurd, Perhaps, General, maybe Atlas and Monsters, topped up with some live stuff. 

Whether that's an album or not- I don't know. Some people don't think Lies is a proper album either so that's a matter of opinion. 

I do think that the writing and recording of new material days of this band are done now though. Which I reckon is probably a more commonly held view than the idea that they'll write and record anything new at this stage. 

If that's gonna be the "new album" I won't spend any money for that. 

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Lies was an album, more specifically an extended play album (EP). It wasn't a long play album, though (LP). Well, I suppose that is a matter of definition, what I am talking about is an LP, like 8+ songs bundled together and released together. 

As for whether they will release an album with new music written after Slash and Duff rejoined GN'R, nah, I don't think that will ever happen, I lost hope in a record with new music in 2016. That being said, GN'R keeps surprising me. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Sad 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Lies was an album, more specifically an extended play album (EP). It wasn't a long play album, though (LP). What I am talking about is a true LP, like 8+ songs bundled together and released together. 

As for whether they will release an album with new music written after Slash and Duff rejoined GN'R, nah, I don't think that will ever happen, I lost hope in a record with new music in 2016. That being said, GN'R keeps surprising me. 

I've always viewed Lies as a 'proper album' personally, which probably has a lot to do with me not knowing most of the songs when it came out (i'd never heard of Live Like A Suicide). 

For those that had, and owned it already, I suppose Lies was a bit of a letdown at the time. 

I had full hopes they'd do something in 2016- probably lost the hopes around 2019. 

6 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If that's gonna be the "new album" I won't spend any money for that. 

I'd give them a tenner I imagine! 

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I've always viewed Lies as a 'proper album' personally, which probably has a lot to do with me not knowing most of the songs when it came out (i'd never heard of Live Like A Suicide). 

For those that had, and owned it already, I suppose Lies was a bit of a letdown at the time. 

Very few had Live? Like A Suicide when Lies was released. After all, LLAS was only printed in a restricted number and came out before Appetite, Lies came out after when GN'R was a big band. Additionally, I think most people who bought Lies, especially those who already had LLAS, knew it was a collection of LLAS and four new acoustic tracks.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:41 AM, Blackstar said:

There are two different things suggested/argued here.

1. That GN'R doesn't release music while Taylor Swift does.

This is not factually correct. Because, even though GN'R has definitely released less music than Taylor Swift (and than most other artists in general) and the songs they have released in the recent years are rehashed old songs and not newly written, the fact remains that they have released something.

2. (Which is what you're saying) That the music GN'R has released in the recent years has not been as popular and relevant as the music Taylor Swift has released.

Well, that goes without saying, and I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise. But that's a completely different matter. It seems that for some people (you being one of them?) it's not enough if GN'R releases music that they like for them to be satisfied, but it has to be music that puts GN'R on top of the world again. I don't understand this perspective - I only care about whether I enjoy the music or not. But anyway, I think people should come to terms with the fact that GN'R won't ever take the world by storm again, whatever they release.

you actually said it better than me.  I guess being old enough to witness them on top, and seeing all these other younger and older (stones, RHCP, green  day) for example keep releasing CDs that are produced correctly, is disheartening as a GnR fan.  Yes, factually, they are releasing a few songs, and I dont mind them.

• Like 1

Listening again to the Village leak of Atlas Shrugged (with Brain drums). Love that intro, still surprised this wasn't one of the first songs to be re-released with the current line-up.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Amir said:

Listening again to the Village leak of Atlas Shrugged (with Brain drums). Love that intro, still surprised this wasn't one of the first songs to be re-released with the current line-up.

The drumming is the only good thing of that song imo.

• Haha 1

The beginning of Atlas was one of the best Village moments. The initial part, with the drums and semi-acoustic guitars and then the verses and melodies of vocals. I was thrilled, it sounded like a very promising material. It was almost dreamy, like from a parallel reality where GNR released CD2; made me think of things that could have been. Then there was this change of tone, which I didn’t appreciate that much. Been a while since I’ve last heard it, though. 
Atlas + Monsters would be a great idea and the strongest single so far. Which is why it may not happen. The doubt is strong with this one. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jamillos said:

The beginning of Atlas was one of the best Village moments. The initial part, with the drums and semi-acoustic guitars and then the verses and melodies of vocals. I was thrilled, it sounded like a very promising material. It was almost dreamy, like from a parallel reality where GNR released CD2; made me think of things that could have been. Then there was this change of tone, which I didn’t appreciate that much. Been a while since I’ve last heard it, though. 
Atlas + Monsters would be a great idea and the strongest single so far. Which is why it may not happen. The doubt is strong with this one. 

what do you mean by "change of tone"? 

40 minutes ago, Rovim said:

what do you mean by "change of tone"? 

I can't listen to it right now, but I mean what follows after the initial verses, the stuff that goes "I’d be the last to say 'don’t follow your heart'" etc. There's this change that sort of broke the mood for me, although I understand the entire song couldn't have continued with just that first melody. It's still pretty decent and definitely one of the best Village songs. HS, Atlas, SoG (and of course Monsters). Perhaps is a good song but mediocre for a band like GNR and their level we're used to. 

Edited by jamillos

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

I can't listen to it right now, but I mean what follows after the initial verses, the stuff that goes "I’d be the last to say 'don’t follow your heart'" etc. There's this change that sort of broke the mood for me, although I understand the entire song couldn't have continued with just that first melody. It's still pretty decent and definitely one of the best Village songs. HS, Atlas, SoG (and of course Monsters). Perhaps is a good song but mediocre for a band like GNR and their level we're used to. 

ah I wasn't sure which specific part you meant. personally I like that part but Atlas is one of my favorites from the locker leaks. 

I think there's probably a really strong version of the second half of Chinese in Axl's hard drives and some of the tunes that were officially released post reunion.

just cause you've mentioned it, I think the strongest tracks from the leaks/official releases with full or close to full vocals are Atlas, SOG, HS, and Monsters. I'm really fond of The General, I just don't think it's as strong as those 4 tracks. Absurd and Perhaps are also cool imo, but I prefer the live versions of Absurd.

I wonder if Axl is interested in Slash and Duff rerecording more Chinese era tunes for release and if Monsters was the last tune that was worked on by Slash and Duff as in there's nothing else we haven't heard from Chinese era with Slash and Duff contributions.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rovim said:

ah I wasn't sure which specific part you meant. personally I like that part but Atlas is one of my favorites from the locker leaks. 

I think there's probably a really strong version of the second half of Chinese in Axl's hard drives and some of the tunes that were officially released post reunion.

just cause you've mention it, I think the strongest tracks from the leaks/official releases with full or close to full vocals are Atlas, SOG, HS, and Monsters. I'm really fond of The General, I just don't think it's as strong as those 4 tracks. Absurd and Perhaps are also cool imo, but I prefer the live versions of Absurd.

I wonder if Axl is interested in Slash and Duff rerecording more Chinese era tunes for release and if Monsters was the last tune that was worked on by Slash and Duff as in there's nothing else we haven't heard from Chinese era with Slash and Duff contributions.

I may be one of the forum optimists (at least regarding the quantity of material), but/therefore I’ll say I believe there’s more material. After all, the more CD stuff they put on "the new album", the less new songs Axl will have to come up with. Which is sad, but... what can we do. I always say throw in also some unused 90s stuff, make it 1/3 of each batch in the overall content, and we’re in for a great fucking record. As long as they manage to make it stick together (it would be a patchwork after all), plus proper mixing etc. (unlike what we’ve heard so far in the case of HS and The General). Here’s hoping. 

On 2/10/2024 at 3:17 PM, Dummy said:

If they released the unreleased cd tracks there would be nothing left to talk about here...

So let's discuss whether or not devious bastard got vocals.

There's been nothing to talk about here since CD2 didnt come out in 2010, never been a sniff of a full album release since

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

I like that change, its melancholy as a whole, it means the song starts positive in a sad way, then gets quite down, then picks up again from the solo to the outro which actually seems quite hopeful. Compared to absurd, perhaps, the general, it actually seems like a fully fledged song, the instruments build, the drums are different in each section, not looped, the guitar lowers and reaches crescendos and axl clearly recorded each bit individually, not just do the chorus once and then just say, thatll do 3 times. Effort went into this song to be an actual song

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 3:37 PM, 2020_Intensions said:

Taylor Swift, since 2006, has released 10 albums, 4 completely re-recorded albums to secure the rights to her music (badass), 5 EPs, and 4 live albums. 

GnR, since 2006, has released 1 album, and 4 singles.

Taylor swift also does 44 song setlists https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/taylor-swift/2024/melbourne-cricket-ground-melbourne-australia-33ad9425.html 

I thought that might be the one thing GnR was better at. Turns out she's got us covered there too :lol:

44 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Taylor swift also does 44 song setlists https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/taylor-swift/2024/melbourne-cricket-ground-melbourne-australia-33ad9425.html 

I thought that might be the one thing GnR was better at. Turns out she's got us covered there too :lol:

I was doing the maths on this a few months back and in 33 GNR gigs I've heard fewer than 44 different songs :lol:

• Haha 2