The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah. Josh flat out said it was the slow progress that made him leave the band. I believe Robin has indicated the same (although I haven't checked my records). And it is likely this also played into Bucket's decision to leave, considering how productive he is, although there were probably more reasons in his case. Brain, on the other hand, has stated that he couldn't deal with the touring and that is also given as the reason for Paul leaving (although unfortunately, he has never spoken about his time in the band).

So Axl's sluggish approach to music making in this period (maybe unfair of me, he could have been sick) was the direct reason at least some of the guys left, which in turn caused further delays.

Brain also said it was kinda boring (not in these exact same words) to just mostly play Gn'R tunes. It wasn't that exciting for him as a drummer.

9 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Would have preferred an album with Bumbke/Ashba/Stinson than a reunion. Unpopular opinion I know. The reunion was all about $$$

For me, it’s like Axl kinda sold out. That’s not the Axl we know and love.

For me, I still get excited watching Rio 2001. Seeing the new vision and new songs. So much hope and new direction. WtF happened? Though, I think we know. The music bigwigs never let the new band flourish cos all they wanted was a reunion and $$$. Wankers 

Oh absolutely. I was fully behind my guns. I knew as soon as the reunion cane that was the end of any chance of creativity. It was about the money after that. 

Give me CD2 over the reunion any day. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Would have preferred an album with Bumbke/Ashba/Stinson than a reunion. Unpopular opinion I know. The reunion was all about $$$

For me, I still get excited watching Rio 2001. Seeing the new vision and new songs. So much hope and new direction. WtF happened? Though, I think we know. The music bigwigs never let the new band flourish cos all they wanted was a reunion and $$$. Wankers 

Bumblefoot and Tommy Stinson were great, but had their issues and left the band. Ashba basically played Slash's stuff and was very similar to him.

When you look at the Chinese era and who had the most influence on the sound, it's probably Buckethead. For all his greatness, he is a bit of a complex person to work with :lol:

So I'm not sure if it's really that Axl "sold out". Duff basically reunited Slash and Axl again... after the NuGuns band started to fall apart (Duff filling in for Tommy who still drinks a lot, problems with Bumblefoot after car accident).

The question now is, if Slash and Duff want to change the sound "back" or are willing to work on a more modern sound. I'm fine either way... because I like the old stuff a lot as well.

Edited by Lethalis

16 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

Bumblefoot and Tommy Stinson were great, but had their issues and left the band. Ashba basically played Slash's stuff and was very similar to him.

When you look at the Chinese era and who had the most influence on the sound, it's probably Buckethead. For all his greatness, he is a bit of a complex person to work with :lol:

So I'm not sure if it's really that Axl "sold out". Duff basically reunited Slash and Axl again... after the NuGuns band started to fall apart (Duff filling in for Tommy who still drinks a lot, problems with Bumblefoot after car accident).

The question now is, if Slash and Duff want to change the sound "back" or are willing to work on a more modern sound. I'm fine either way... because I like the old stuff a lot as well.

I never missed Bumble. An example of being too open and willing to talk constantly. By 2011 and his public comments about the touring and lack of new music, I've never understood why Axl allowed it. To the point where he was essentially saying "fuck this band", happy to go on stage and get his pay check though! Then dragging out his departure. At least Ashba did his in a dignified way. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I never missed Bumble. An example of being too open and willing to talk constantly. By 2011 and his public comments about the touring and lack of new music, I've never understood why Axl allowed it. To the point where he was essentially saying "fuck this band", happy to go on stage and get his pay check though! Then dragging out his departure. At least Ashba did his in a dignified way. 

Bumblefoot was a legend who was open with the fans and for that he deserves credit. I much prefer his modus operandi to this clandestine shit we've had to deal with for 7 years.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Axl needs more Bumblefoot type of people in his life, not less.

Musically, he never fit in. He's just too much of a (guitar) nerd, not a rock n roller and at the wrong end of the coolness spectrum. :D

Edited by El Guapo
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

People who constantly complain about being in the band yet are entirely unable to make the band operate any differently? 

You're literally describing many people's employment relationship here. :D

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

People who constantly complain about being in the band yet are entirely unable to make the band operate any differently? 

Since Axl's approach only leads to every key band member leaving and no music getting released?

Yes, of course, yes.

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

Since Axl's approach only leads to every key band member leaving and no music getting released?

Yes, of course, yes.

Huh? Music is getting released now with Slash and Duff in the band. In addition, if your argument was true that it doesn't matter who is in the band when it comes to new music, we could still appreciate band members who actually enjoy being in the band. Bumblefoot is a fantastic musician and even more importantly, a fantastic human being, but he wasn't a good match to GN'R. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Oh absolutely. I was fully behind my guns. I knew as soon as the reunion cane that was the end of any chance of creativity. It was about the money after that. 

Give me CD2 over the reunion any day. 

With the 2000/2004 formation I would have agreed but the latest incarnation prior to the reunion sucked

Being in a band of GN'R's stature that tours endlessly across the world is not necessarily easy. Not everyone is up for that. Paul quickly left, Brain did it for a while until he started imagining himself as a beaten and weathered travel suitcase. Bumblefoot struggled from the getgo, and it just got worse when he got injured. He wasn't cut out for it. And while the band seemed remarkable tolerant (or indifferent) to his repeated outbursts and complaining in the media, Bumble slowly fell apart. He probably should have quit much earlier, and I think he would see some merit to that. 

Richard, on the other hand, weathers it much better. I am not saying the life is easy for him either, with being a father and going through a serious accident just prior to the 2016 touring, he just keeps it internal and don't use media to try and force change. Basically, in the context of being part of a touring band, he is much more professional. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 4:44 PM, Amir said:

Hoping we get Soul Monster because that instrumental was fucking awesome. Berlin and Seven would be nice because the instrumental of the former was cool and the latter has been hyped up by Beltrami and Brain.

Did Soul M and Berlin instrumental leak? PM would be appreciated 

13 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Rio 2001 with The Blues, pure magic.... N. Rain 2.0 easily. Same here, Slash coming back to fold is the worst thing for gnr.... Before that, axl had something to prove and new music would have been a reality. Best we can hope for is more leaks. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Perhaps was rehearsed in Israel and The General was spotted on the set list for Abu Dhabi. You can find the Perhaps soundcheck on YouTube and the setlist on these forums or on Reddit.

Thanks I'll hunt them down. Let's hope the Perhaps eventual single isn't so loud as the other releases and mastered better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Huh? Music is getting released now with Slash and Duff in the band. In addition, if your argument was true that it doesn't matter who is in the band when it comes to new music, we could still appreciate band members who actually enjoy being in the band. Bumblefoot is a fantastic musician and even more importantly, a fantastic human being, but he wasn't a good match to GN'R. 

great post. Bumble is a top human being and musician, but he wasn't a good fit. Too sensitive and didn't actually know what he was getting into. I'd say his first instinct to not join Gn'R was the right one. Fortus in comparison has the perfect personality and abilities to be in the group.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Rio 2001 with The Blues, pure magic.... N. Rain 2.0 easily. Same here, Slash coming back to fold is the worst thing for gnr.... Before that, axl had something to prove and new music would have been a reality. Best we can hope for is more leaks. 

That version of The Blues had a lot of magic, the final version on the album lost almost all of it, unfortunately. :/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

That version of The Blues had a lot of magic, the final version on the album lost almost all of it, unfortunately. :/

I love the album version even if it's overstuffed with itself anf full of music with no breathing room. That's what I liked about some of the live version of the ealier The Blues where there is a lot of space and the song got to breath a little more. Axl jumping from the piano in the outro was also great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

They were basically off the road for 2 years from the last show before the reunion to the first show or the reunion.

June 7th 2014 - April 1 2016.  And really they only played 8 shows until the tour kicked off in June.

Right ... Still not much of a touring break. And there was the situation going on of members leaving and Axl planning on ending the feud. My point stands. GnR has never had a very long period of time where they weren't touring.