The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

The reason Absurd or Hard Skool didn't do 'well' (although I'm not sure what we're gauging 'well' to be) is that there was no promotion whatsoever. 

Combine this with the fact that most people see a couple of individual song releases as simply promotion for an album (which or course didn't arrive) and it's difficult to see how those two songs could have done any better. 

I love them both, but there's a limit to how often I'm going to listen to just two songs. A full album I'd have played many many times. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Wow, has that been confirmed......is soul monster  M&ME and B = Oklahoma????? 

Yes, Axl confirmed both of those things during his 2008 forum visits.

31 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The reason Absurd or Hard Skool didn't do 'well' (although I'm not sure what we're gauging 'well' to be) is that there was no promotion whatsoever. 

Combine this with the fact that most people see a couple of individual song releases as simply promotion for an album (which or course didn't arrive) and it's difficult to see how those two songs could have done any better. 

I love them both, but there's a limit to how often I'm going to listen to just two songs. A full album I'd have played many many times. 

Yeah when those two songs dropped and I told my friends and family about it they were all just like “I’ll just wait until the album comes out,” and I had to try to explain that there wasn’t gonna be an album, but they didn’t get it.

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

Fair call - I love contraband myself, but for me, the 3rd of CD which I consider genius, was amazing and topped that IMO. 

Which third? EDIT: nevermind, I saw you mentioned the songs you like in the post above.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Absurd more interesting than Garden of Eden? That's absurd indeed XD

Of course it's all a matter of taste but your taste is shit. lol

Hey they're not alone! I love Absurd, in all the versions we have. It's my "shot of energy" song. A fierce punk shot of adrenaline with some of my favourite Brain drumming. Duff improved the bass, as for Slash's guitar it's cool. Some days I prefer Bumbles version, some days Slash. And some days I like the stripped back electronic 99 mix with no guitar!

• Like 1

I really liked "Hardskool." I think it would have sounded better if the band re-recorded it from scratch, but whatever. Never got the hate some people have for it. I love "Absurd" but get why others wouldn't.

GN'R needs to do with what VH did with A Different Kind of Truth. Go into the studio with some new ideas, some old songs that were never released, and have a competent producer guide the band through. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

That's just your opinion and I frankly don't understand why you think that is interesting. 

Absurd and Hardskool are really poor songs. Perhaps is at least a decent song. But nothing close to any good songs of CD and really far from anything that could be a instant classic

Realese the best CD lefovers in a EP or digital and then record a propper album with this line up and then...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RichardNixon said:

I really liked "Hardskool." I think it would have sounded better if the band re-recorded it from scratch, but whatever. Never got the hate some people have for it. I love "Absurd" but get why others wouldn't.

GN'R needs to do with what VH did with A Different Kind of Truth. Go into the studio with some new ideas, some old songs that were never released, and have a competent producer guide the band through. 

Yes, hire Wolfgang to pick the good stuff. He's the unsung hero of that record.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lelex95 said:

Think of it. 

Perhaps, hard skool, absurd, state of grace, Atlas shrugged, oh my god, the general, soul monster and Oklahoma. 

That would be an album I'd buy and probably love. 

Also I don't get the hate for absurd, it's a quick song like "garden of Eden" but it's a bit more interesting, it's not amazing but it's cool in the way everything about the song it's absurd, is not a bad filler track. 

Garden of Eden is far more interesting, better vocal, cool riff. 

The absurd instrumental is not bad, but the lyrics/vocal destroy the song 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rudolf1978 said:

Absurd and Hardskool are really poor songs. Perhaps is at least a decent song. But nothing close to any good songs of CD and really far from anything that could be a instant classic

Realese the best CD lefovers in a EP or digital and then record a propper album with this line up and then...

What guarantee do you have that if they recorded an unreleased album it would be an instant success?

13 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Garden of Eden is far more interesting, better vocal, cool riff. 

The absurd instrumental is not bad, but the lyrics/vocal destroy the song 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. 

Neither are great songs, I guess all I was saying is, absurd as a single sucks but it would sound perfect as a filler track of an album. If it came out as part of an album like garden of Eden did, It'd be more appreciated. 

I think it's slightly more interesting cause garden of Eden is just a short gnr song, it's not bad but not as good as perfect crime for instance, absurd is experimental and it got a concept to it and the way the song is composed and produced expresses the concept and I always love music that is aesthetic and that tries to paint a picture for the listener.

Is it a good picture? 

Maybe not but it's still interesting to watch the process. 

Edited by Lelex95

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

That might be a fair argument for Hardschool, but there's no universe where Absurd was ever going to do well as a single. They should've just quietly included it as a b-side and released Hardschool at the beginning of that tour. I'd bet that releasing Absurd as the first reunion single killed a lot of peoples interest in new GNR songs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That might be a fair argument for Hardschool, but there's no universe where Absurd was ever going to do well as a single. They should've just quietly included it as a b-side and released Hardschool at the beginning of that tour. I'd bet that releasing Absurd as the first reunion single killed a lot of peoples interest in new GNR songs.

I see where you're coming from, but my view is a bit biased here as I really like Absurd so could see it being a success....

It is undoubtedly a weird choice though, I'd agree fully on that! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I think people just really, really didn't like Absurd. My friends that were aware it had come out all text me and were shocked at how awful it was.... And for the first time I had no defense for GNR. 

I appreciate that they were trying to put something out that wasn't just a rehash of the glory days, but as others have said it should have been a b-side to HardSkool. If it was released that way people wouldn't have judged so harshly. 

The no promotion didn't help either. Hardskool stood a chance at gaining momentum with a decent push but there just was zero effort. Even a video of Axl/Slash/Duff talking about the song would have been something. All we got were lyric videos, and an acknowledgement from Axl that there was a new song he wrote 20yrs ago. Maybe they didn't want to promote it too much as it wasn't intended as their comeback song, it was just "here's a song for ya" as Coverdale would say.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Everything from the AFD or UYI lineups of GN'R weren't "pure gold" either. This is entirely subjective - and there are few things as uninteresting as hearing people say what they like and what they don't like and then act incredulous when other people have different preferences than themselves - but many people like Chinese Democracy and would be thrilled to to hear songs that were intended for the follow-up to that album. Personally, I think Hardskool is better than at least half of UIYs and I think a lot of the unreleased material has a huge potential. So don't try to "make some kind of sense" out of different musical preferences, just accept that they exist. 

As i said before hardskool and Absurd its like they used in 91 92 for a single shotgun blues and myworld

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I beg to differ. 

Shotgun blues and myworld in 2023.thats what they offer us 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I see where you're coming from, but my view is a bit biased here as I really like Absurd so could see it being a success....

It is undoubtedly a weird choice though, I'd agree fully on that! 

Like @Tom2112 I had friends text me when it was released saying 'wtf is this?' :lol:

Absurd has its fans, but as far as being a successful single I just don't see how it would happen. Most people who like GNR don't want that kind of music, and most people who like that kind of music aren't interested in GNR's attempt at it. To be fair, it does work better as a live song though.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rudolf1978 said:

As i said before hardskool and Absurd its like they used in 91 92 for a single shotgun blues and myworld

Shotgun blues and myworld in 2023.thats what they offer us 

That's very accurate. But I'd take shotgun blues a million times over both😄

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Not sure if that was posted before, but I saw this after the 1st gig. Fortus used the Sitar effect for Pretty Tied Up, but seems like Perhaps or The General also use it. 

image.thumb.png.2797a12e505d37cd277eeb30553bd9b3.png

My guess was Atlas intro on that post of his. 

• Like 2

Absurd was meh, don't know why they bothered with that, Hard Skhool was awesome though!

I do wonder, if the new album will be all reworked tunes from the Chinese era, with Slash and Duff in there, or half that and half super brand new, or all brand new stuff? They could release two different sets of songs. It's hard to tell atm.

1 hour ago, YourRocketDing said:

Absurd was meh, don't know why they bothered with that, Hard Skhool was awesome though!

I do wonder, if the new album will be all reworked tunes from the Chinese era, with Slash and Duff in there, or half that and half super brand new, or all brand new stuff? They could release two different sets of songs. It's hard to tell atm.

Yeah, I hope it will be a few of each. I wouldn’t want an album made of just CD2 demos. On the other hand, we cannot expect brand new songs only, that’d be crazy. So what we can hope for is a mixture. Who wouldn’t want that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YourRocketDing said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse .......

There is no new album ... There are no new songs ... 

What do you mean it's hard to tell? It's not hard at all. Slash told us exactly what to expect. 2-4 more old ChiDem songs. There are no new songs. There is no album. 

Edited by 2020_Intensions
  • Like 1