10/08/23 - Sacramento, CA - Aftershock Festival

downzy

8 minutes ago, gnrrocks1 said:

Folsom State Prison which is referenced in “Folsom Prison Blues” by Johnny Cash. That’s my guess. 

8 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

maybe due to Folsom Prison is near Sacramento?

7 minutes ago, kever20 said:

Folsom Prison Blues, my friend.

Just a jog up the highway from the venue.

I'm a Sacramento native, and figured they'd use other iconography, but Johnny Cash is fun.

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's this picture, taken at Folsom prison which is like 20 miles from Sacramento.

SnapGalleries180311.jpg

I appreciate you all! I'm not very knowledgeable on him, but just watched Walk the Line the other week with my girlfriend, so I do understand the reference now. What weird timing. 😂

Setlist: It’s So Easy, Bad Obsession, Chinese Democracy, Slither, Mr. Brownstone, Pretty Tied Up, Rumble/Welcome To The Jungle, Reckless Life, Perhaps, Hard Skool, Better, Double Talkin’ Jive, You Could Be Mine, Absurd, Rocket Queen, Live And Let Die, Estranged, Down On The Farm, T.V. Eye, Civil War/(Voodoo Child), Band Introductions, Slash Solo/Sweet Child O’ Mine, November Rain, Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, Nightrain, Paradise City

(HTGTH)

27 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Could have been stage turnover issues between maidens set up and gnr. But I read that too

They were late at Power Trip and now they were late for this one, too.

At Power Trip Maiden were 15-20 minutes late (Bruce Dickinson said due to traffic, I think), so that pushed GN'R's set and then they were an additional 15-20 minute late themselves. AC/DC also started about 20 minutes late the next day (but the media emphasized on GN'R's lateness because of history, lol.)

Maybe there were similar issues at this one.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

50 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

They were late at Power Trip and now they were late for this one, too.

At Power Trip Maiden were 15-20 minutes late (Bruce Dickinson said due to traffic, I think), so that pushed GN'R's set and then they were an additional 15-20 minute late themselves. AC/DC also started about 20 minutes late the next day (but the media emphasized on GN'R's lateness because of history, lol.)

Maybe there were similar issues at this one.

Yeah festival dates are a bit out of control, if a few bands go over time and are slow breaking down the set/setting it up then it all messes with the schedule if the state manager is just letting things fly.

But yeah the emphasis is always on gnr despite a 7 year clean slate 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah festival dates are a bit out of control, if a few bands go over time and are slow breaking down the set/setting it up then it all messes with the schedule if the state manager is just letting things fly.

But yeah the emphasis is always on gnr despite a 7 year clean slate 

It doesn't seem that there was a stage turnover issue for this one, because from what I saw there were four different stages and the band that played before GN'R on the same stage (Rancid) had finished their set around 6:30 pm. GN'R were scheduled to start at 7:25 and they took the stage at 8:00. Unlike with Maiden at Power Trip, Rancid doesn't have a fancy stage setup, so an hour should have sufficed for GN'R to set things up.

There are many negative comments about GN'R on the festival's facebook page - actually there are only negative comments. GN'R's delay has been blown out of proportion (they're saying that all the other bands were on time, and GN'R were over an hour late sopeople left because they were tired of waiting etc.).

People talking shit on social media about whatever is nothing new and there's the GN'R past record bias. But I also think that delays are felt more at festivals, because people have been there for hours and are already exhausted when at the time of the headliner's set.

• Like 4

On 10/9/2023 at 6:19 PM, Blackstar said:

GN'R's delay has been blown out of proportion (they're saying that all the other bands were on time, and GN'R were over an hour late sopeople left because they were tired of waiting etc.)

I feel the delay was more caused by the ripple effect of Maiden's start being delayed.

It wasn't that Maiden weren't on time, there were plenty of fans still trying to get into the venue by the time they were scheduled due to the traffic caused by AWFUL road blocks and traffic control measures, so they decided to give people more time (including myself) to get into the grounds thankfully.

The hate against Guns for it was unanimous sadly.

11 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

I feel the delay was more caused by the ripple effect of Maiden's start being delayed.

It wasn't that Maiden weren't on time, there were plenty of fans still trying to get into the venue by the time they were scheduled due to the traffic caused by AWFUL road blocks and traffic control measures, so they decided to give people more time (including myself) to get into the grounds thankfully.

Even if Maiden's start wasn't delayed though, there's absolutely no way they slotted in enough time to change over from Maiden's stage set to GN'R's - I think it looked to be about 40-45 mins? Either way absolutely not enough time. 

7 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Even if Maiden's start wasn't delayed though, there's absolutely no way they slotted in enough time to change over from Maiden's stage set to GN'R's - I think it looked to be about 40-45 mins? Either way absolutely not enough time. 

Of course the stage change has to be factored in too...The curfew was 1am and they managed a full set list so that's a success all things considered.  There shouldn't be too many complaints with regards to that, but we all know the story with GNR by now.

What did you think of AC/DC??

Edited by kanecrescente

22 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

For Power Trip, yes.

But there wasn't such issue at Aftershock Festival (this show) and there was still a 35 minute delay. It's this show people bitched about on the festival's social media.

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

For Power Trip, yes.

But there wasn't such issue at Aftershock Festival (this show) and there was still a 35 minute delay. It's this show people bitched about on the festival's social media.

Oh, my bad, there's plenty of Power Trip hate about too😂

Edited by kanecrescente
  • Like 1