08/24/23 - Chicago, IL - Wrigley Field

downzy

4 minutes ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

I think it’s great these new release tracks haven’t been one trick ponies and they’re continuing to actively include them every show since their respective releases. It helps define this era of the band imho.

It's great. I was afraid they'd stop playing one of them for Perhaps but I'm glad they're keeping the new songs even as newer ones get released, so far. However, I wonder why they don't space 'em out? Especially cuz y'know... many of the concert goers might not even know these songs and they'll have to sit through 1 song they never heard before, then Rocket Queen's huge solo, then 2 other songs they never heard before :lol:

8 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

It's great. I was afraid they'd stop playing one of them for Perhaps but I'm glad they're keeping the new songs even as newer ones get released, so far. However, I wonder why they don't space 'em out? Especially cuz y'know... many of the concert goers might not even know these songs and they'll have to sit through 1 song they never heard before, then Rocket Queen's huge solo, then 2 other songs they never heard before :lol:

The video for “Perhaps” already has over 2 million views on YouTube. It’s already top 20 on rock radio and getting a ton of airplay as well. It’s honesty probably already the most well known of the new songs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

The video for “Perhaps” already has over 2 million views on YouTube. It’s already top 20 on rock radio and getting a ton of airplay as well. It’s honesty probably already the most well known of the new songs.

ok, but why play it right after the other two new songs? why not space 'em out? I get it, it's well known. But why play all the new songs one after the other? It's a valid question.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

ok, but why play it right after the other two new songs? why not space 'em out? I get it, it's well known. But why play all the new songs one after the other? It's a valid question.

Are you really complaining about them not playing songs in the same order every night?

1 minute ago, Coma16 said:

Are you really complaining about them not playing songs in the same order every night?

I'm not complaining, I'm asking. Why play these songs all together? I don't even know if they don't usually do it. Just wondering why. Is there a problem with asking?

7 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

What a quiet show thread, especially for a large city. How was attendance?

Just looked at the pics posted by Del and Mrs Slash from the stage - floor looked full from the pit but the stands were.. empty. ESP up top. I’d say 60/65% (70 maybe as a stretch) sold but I can’t tell from just pics. At those percentages for a ball park it’s prob about 25/30K. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I'm not complaining, I'm asking. Why play these songs all together? I don't even know if they don't usually do it. Just wondering why. Is there a problem with asking?

They play almost every night in different varying slots...

Edited by colonizedmind

5 hours ago, jman2000 said:

Made a crazy last minute decision to drive to Chicago with only enough time to make it to wrigley on a day with 0 traffic. After spending most of the time on the highway above 90-100mph, driving 3+ hours, and being full of piss to my eyeballs…….we made it 20 minutes before GNR started!

Fantastic show. Band was top notch compared to when I last seen them in 2021 at summerfest in Milwaukee. The band seemed to be in great spirits despite the heat. Plenty of jokes from Axl as well. 

Sadly, fresh out of event t’s and lithos. If anyone has any they’d part with that aren’t eBay prices-let me know!!! I ain’t rich. Had to settle for the bootleg t’s for now! 

Glad we made the trip. Heard a number of songs I have never seen live. No disappointments, would do it all over, even the $100 parking! 

https://gnrmerchtruck.com/  Can still get the event shirt. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Most of the time Absurd and Hard Skool were played back to back before Perhaps was released - not at all shows though.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, IzzysMissy said:

Just looked at the pics posted by Del and Mrs Slash from the stage - floor looked full from the pit but the stands were.. empty. ESP up top. I’d say 60/65% (70 maybe as a stretch) sold but I can’t tell from just pics. At those percentages for a ball park it’s prob about 25/30K. 

Stands don't look empty from the angle of this live stream:

https://www.facebook.com/pamela.rubio.351/videos/1007201897299487

I guess the field is supposed to be empty? If so, is that a common setting for this type of venue in the US? I surely know I wouldn't like to watch a show like that - especially from the stands with such a big empty space between my spot and the stage, but also in general.

Edited by Blackstar

59 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

The pacing of the show is definitely an issue I noticed at MetLife. It was fine for me as a fan but have to bear in mind how many songs people don't know in a 3 hour set. This is def more of a hardcore fan-friendly setlist than when I've seen them before -- do wonder what casuals think

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I guess the field is supposed to be empty? If so, is that a common setting for this type of venue in the US? I surely know I wouldn't like to watch a show like that - especially from the stands with such a big empty space between my spot and the stage, but also in general.

This is why I don’t like baseball park concerts. Yes, it’s common to rope off the infield diamond. And some of the spots behind the home plate where the sound booth would interfere with sight lines to the stage.

The place definitely wasn’t sold out, and I can guarantee some were no-shows due to the heat. Definitely the majority of people waited till GNR hit the stage to file their way in. 

If I were to guess, I’d say it was 80 to 85 percent capacity. And honestly, the high prices is likely what kept people from buying. They came way down week of show. But a casual fan isn’t gonna wanna spend $200 on nose bleeds.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jman2000 said:

Made a crazy last minute decision to drive to Chicago with only enough time to make it to wrigley on a day with 0 traffic. After spending most of the time on the highway above 90-100mph, driving 3+ hours, and being full of piss to my eyeballs…….we made it 20 minutes before GNR started!

Fantastic show. Band was top notch compared to when I last seen them in 2021 at summerfest in Milwaukee. The band seemed to be in great spirits despite the heat. Plenty of jokes from Axl as well. 

Sadly, fresh out of event t’s and lithos. If anyone has any they’d part with that aren’t eBay prices-let me know!!! I ain’t rich. Had to settle for the bootleg t’s for now! 

Glad we made the trip. Heard a number of songs I have never seen live. No disappointments, would do it all over, even the $100 parking! 

Glad you made it! I got there as doors opened and I didn’t see any event tees at the merch booth closest to the pit! How TF did they sell out so quickly? Almost no one was at the park at the time. Unless they simply kept more in the concourses or sold a lot outside at Gallagher Way. I didn’t end up with a shirt or litho. Considering getting a shirt from the tour truck, but I don’t love the prints on them compared to the actual concert shirts. 

Did anyone get an extra litho they'd be willing to sell/trade? The lady in front of me got the last one at the Gallagher Way stand and there were none inside. It's not a great design, but I have one from all 26 shows we've seen since Slash and Duff came back before yesterday, and Chicago is my hometown show. 

10 minutes ago, kingcanyon said:

just overall theres more positive reviews then Europe so far

That doesnt mean he's singing better....are the articles focused on his singing? Just different cultures and types of press....he's been much the same if in fact not as good as the best Euro shows (Madrid etc) IMO

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It’s really interesting because in that video you posted… I can see the empty sections but my eye is trained for that so I’m very hyper vigilant. Look I’m not saying it’s “empty” per se, just saying that a baseball stadium for concerts gets about 38/40K caps with how the stage is set. it looks to me, based on the pics and video from the stage, that the uppers barely had anyone which made me speculate that capacity was about 20/25K.

The place where the pitcher stands (mound) never gets used so the entire infield and outfield (area between the mound and the back wall) doesn’t have seats or a floor (it damages the grass for baseball and it’s still season here!  Go Cubs Go!) 

just my thoughts and observations and opinions based on my trade. Not trying to insult or argue with anyone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1