06/24/23 - Pilton, GB - Glastonbury Festival **TIMES & STREAM INFO IN FIRST POST**

alfierose

12 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

McCartney was still playing at 12.35am last year.

I looked all that up of curiosity actually this afternoon -McCartney went on at 9.30 and did 2hrs 45mins up to 12.15, so overshot by half an hour. 

I don't know how Glastonbury manage that really- there is literally no other event that can over run in the UK without huge fines, no matter how remote. 

I wonder if there was a big fine and McCartney stumped up? 

Edit: So, there are significant fines for any overrun. Springsteen over ran by 9 minutes, which accrued a £3000 fine which Glastonbury paid. McCartney overran in 2004 and paid the fine himself, so it's likely he did the same last year. A thirty minute curfew break would be in the region of £10,000. 

I'd imagine they wouldn't want the same again- here's the statement: 

"Glastonbury Festival Events Limited (GFEL) have an overrun procedure designed to prevent licence times being breached. If a band does overrun the council confirm the contravention to GFEL and GFEL are expected to address the matter promptly with a clear explanation of the reason for the overrun and what action is being taken to limit it.

"The council will then decide the appropriate course of action based on an analysis of the circumstances causing the breach, the impacts and corrective measures taken. The action we take very much depends on the analysis of the circumstances as there are numerous courses of action that the council may consider so in theory there could be no penalty, nevertheless any minor breach would always be discussed with a view to securing improvements to prevent a recurrence.

"At the other end of the spectrum a breach could lead to a review of the licence or it could lead to a successful prosecution and hence a fine. The decision to prosecute would have to be weighed up against a prosecution protocol and our council enforcement."

So I'd have thought they wouldn't want an over-run again, so they don't risk their licence. Even though it could technically happen but GNR would likely have to pick the fee up. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Possibly but there's other years where I've seen advertised set times and then going over at Glasto. So it wouldn't be a first. Talking of not being firsts and fines...how often did Axl go late and pay fines pre 2016...I remember being at the O2 past midnight once 😂

Oh yeah, and they had to pay to keep the tube line open too! I think there was one in Manchester that was around the 1.30/2 AM mark! 

I don't think Glastonbury would pull the plug on them, like other festivals, but I also can see them being pretty keen not to let GNR risk their licence, especially as there were some issues in the last year with Glastonbury and the local council about a few things to do with the licence.

So.....we shall see! 

Edited by allwaystired

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

So like £3000 per 10 minutes or so. So for GNR to do current set about £15K fine.

Sure THEY wouldn't care too much about that. That's beer money to them. Don't tell Beta though...

Don't they usually play 3hrs plus at RIR. Last time they did...normal full set.

Yeah, something around that mark. Crazy. 

My feeling is they'll stick to the times pretty much, maybe just a slight over-run to midnight or something. They're not the sort of band to rock the boat these days. 

I'd fucking love some drama though- power being cut, rants, etc. Absolutely love it! 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Oh yeah, and they had to pay to keep the tube line open too! I think there was one in Manchester that was around the 1.30/2 AM mark! 

I don't think Glastonbury would pull the plug on them, like other festivals, but I also can see them being pretty keen not to let GNR risk their licence. So.....we shall see! 

Indeed. True true. The tube sitch was quite funny with hindsight. We got a warning email from the O2 earlier in the day, pre a situation that hadn't actually happened yet!! Lol. So they knew it was gonna occur! Never had an email like that before or since for anything else... I can see the guys going on stage completely oblivious to there being much of a curfew. Getting to Night Train and being told....sounds gonna get cut...Axl arrives with megaphone and Ashba on a guitar we can't hear! Oh whoops, that's a time warp to 2010! Those days are LONG gone.

But yea....If Axl knows he's not gonna be turned off, he's gonna do his set his way. So we'll see. Program will include highlights but we do have a 4hr window until 2am, so the BBC are prepared! 👍 I'd love a bit of rebellious Axl, having a stand off with Michael Eavis in his wellies and it getting settled with Axl bringing him on for a duet of "Down On the Farm"

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Indeed. True true. The tube sitch was quite funny with hindsight. We got a warning email from the O2 earlier in the day, pre a situation that hadn't actually happened yet!! Lol. So they knew it was gonna occur! Never had an email like that before or since for anything else... I can see the guys going on stage completely oblivious to there being much of a curfew. Getting to Night Train and being told....sounds gonna get cut...Axl arrives with megaphone and Ashba on a guitar we can't hear! Oh whoops, that's a time warp to 2010! Those days are LONG gone.

But yea....If Axl knows he's not gonna be turned off, he's gonna do his set his way. So we'll see. Program will include highlights but we do have a 4hr window until 2am, so the BBC are prepared! 👍 I'd love a bit rebellious Axl, having a stand off with Michael Eavis in his wellys and it getting settle with Axl bringing him on for a duet on "Down On the Farm"

I have SO many stories from those days; the places I ended up sleeping, how I got home from things, drinking, all that stuff. I do sort of miss it all a bit, even though at times it was a pain! 

It was certainly a big part of GNR history and a phase a lot of us went through with them. 

I have to say though, I'm going to enjoy just sitting back and watching this one from the comfort of my chair! 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, something around that mark. Crazy. 

My feeling is they'll stick to the times pretty much, maybe just a slight over-run to midnight or something. They're not the sort of band to rock the boat these days. 

I'd fucking love some drama though- power being cut, rants, etc. Absolutely love it! 

Haha. We both commented about wanting some drama at the sametime! Maybe lightning will strike! Actually, hold the press. Thunder storms were forecast for Saturday earlier in the week!!! 🤞

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kingcanyon said:

How about a guest Brain may appearance for Catcher

Well he never got his just desserts for his work with Guns in the late 90s...how many songs did he work on In the end...at least 3, right?

So I'm all for that! He does Catcher....band does We Will Rock You or something like that to open the encore! Down?

7 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Well he never got his just desserts for his work with Guns in the late 90s...how many songs did he work on In the end...at least 3, right?

So I'm all for that! He does Catcher....band does We Will Rock You or something like that to open the encore! Down?

I am it gives axl a reason to play Queen songs again 

10 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I really don’t think Brian May will be there seeing as he hate’s Michael Eavis and has said he will never perform at Glastonbury. 

Yeah, that's the reason Queen have never played.....and it is to do with badger culling I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Elton alone will do on November Rain, but even that's a stretch I think considering they had Michael Monroe in the house for no less than 2 nights in a row at Tottenham last summer and couldn't even manage one rendtiion of Bad Obsession which is now, lo and behold, flush in the regular setlist. 

1 minute ago, kanecrescente said:

Brian May once visited my college to discuss badgers, as well as the importance of voting... he's been known as Badger Bri by me and my friend ever since 😂

Got to agree with him on both points! Time to reel out this old chestnut then.....

Brian May once saw my parents test driving a Vauxhall Zafira car and went to the garage to buy one straight after they did. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Being a GNR fan and a forum frequenter, I know that hope is a dangerous thing. But I just can’t help it with Glasto. I’ve got a feeling about it. I think we’re in for a real treat. Some of you will hate me for saying this but I feel like I’ve got to. Guns have been building us all up for this. They know Glasto is a big one. So they’re gonna hit us with the big guns. My hopes are even higher with how they’ve been changing up the set list for every show of this tour so far. It’s unpredictable. So, I think, and again, don’t @ me, it’s just my own personal hope, I think they’re gonna treat us AND….they’re gonna open with It’s So Easy. I know it. I can just feel it. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

Being a GNR fan and a forum frequenter, I know that hope is a dangerous thing. But I just can’t help it with Glasto. I’ve got a feeling about it. I think we’re in for a real treat. Some of you will hate me for saying this but I feel like I’ve got to. Guns have been building us all up for this. They know Glasto is a big one. So they’re gonna hit us with the big guns. My hopes are even higher with how they’ve been changing up the set list for every show of this tour so far. It’s unpredictable. So, I think, and again, don’t @ me, it’s just my own personal hope, I think they’re gonna treat us AND….they’re gonna open with It’s So Easy. I know it. I can just feel it. 

That punchline...easy so it is!