Fortus disagrees with Nuno Bettencourt over Slash's guitar skills - Nuno responds

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Because they already have a lead guitarist, his name is Slash :slash2:

That doesn’t mean Richard can’t take over on parts more suited for his level of playing, like they do live. Didn’t Izzy also play lead?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

That doesn’t mean Richard can’t take over on parts more suited for his level of playing, like they do live. Didn’t Izzy also play lead?

Slash's technique is more than enough for Gn'R, as it always was imo. Slash has gained even more technical ability, it's not about that.

if it's a Gn'R track it means it got Axl on it so I want Slash to play lead guitar as much as possible. it's not like we had a chance to hear that combination a lot in the last 20 years. Axl's voice with Slash's guitar creates something powerful to me. 

Fortus was hired as Gn'R's rhythm guitar player and it's not like I find his style more unique compared to Slash. honestly it's not even close. you mention level of playing, but there are other metrics to that other than technical ability. Fortus can't do what Slash can do, it goes both ways.

the different lead guitar players worked for Chinese imo. You've had very interesting styles complimenting each other in Bucket and Robin (and I also in the minority that feels that Bumble added another dimension to it)

but when you've got Slash in Gn'R again, it feels kinda silly to not let him just do his thing. 

I wouldn't mind it if for example Axl decided to release Atlas with Brian May's work intact. A player on that caliber, with that sound is more appropriate in a Gn'R album imo. It could have worked with Catcher as well. I would have gone with the demo version.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Oh I see. It's how I am right now: I think the drums are good enough, but then I try the SSD drum plugin and everything before sounds like shit. :facepalm:

Ha! We're all there. Except those 10 elite producer/engineers that get great sounds without sound replacement.

Superior drummer is the business though! The new garageband drum sounds are pretty decent though.

Now back to taking Nuno down a peg or two😄

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I really wish Guns would feature Fortus more on studio material. He gets to play lead a fair bit during the tour. Why not have him play lead and a solo or two on the next album? Maybe he's already on a song or two we have not heard yet. I feel he's under utilized. He's the best current member to re-record the Bucket stuff, assuming they wan't to re-record that material. 

We already have this with Monster's outro solo, with Richard taking the lead after Slash. 

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Ha! We're all there. Except those 10 elite producer/engineers that get great sounds without sound replacement.

Superior drummer is the business though! The new garageband drum sounds are pretty decent though.

Now back to taking Nuno down a peg or two😄

I know there's a trick to mix individual drum parts in Garage Band to make them sound a lot better, but that's very taxing and unintuitive. <_<

15 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Is that really Richard there, or are you referring to the outro solo on The General? 

Monsters contains Richard at the end there to my ears after Slash like Jimi said but we could be wrong, but a little Richard is harmless while too much Richard means not enough Slash which is unacceptable in a Gn'R context after all those Slaxless years.

• Like 1

btw, it's all in jest, cause it's subjective and a matter of taste and lord knows I cannot be objective when it comes to Slash. Fortus is a great guitar player, he blew my face off the two times I got to hear him play live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

We already have this with Monster's outro solo, with Richard taking the lead after Slash. 

I know there's a trick to mix individual drum parts in Garage Band to make them sound a lot better, but that's very taxing and unintuitive. <_<

Yeah I haven't gotten my head around how to do that yet either. But I am very lazy, I like plug and play!

I thought that was Richard too on Monsters alongside Slash. His biggest "problem" is that he doesn't really have an identifiable sound that screams a Richard riff/solo

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah I haven't gotten my head around how to do that yet either. But I am very lazy, I like plug and play!

I thought that was Richard too on Monsters alongside Slash. His biggest "problem" is that he doesn't really have an identifiable sound that screams a Richard riff/solo

I'm almost totally positive its Richard in the end but I could be way off.

• Like 1

When I first heard The General the last bits of lead guitar sounded a lot like Bucket. I assume that is Richard. I wish we had notes for these songs like we do on CD so know for sure who plays what, who is on drums on Hard Skool, etc. And who mastered what. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Is that really Richard there, or are you referring to the outro solo on The General? 

No, I was talking about Monsters. The General is 100% Slash.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Monsters contains Richard at the end there to my ears after Slash like Jimi said but we could be wrong, but a little Richard is harmless while too much Richard means not enough Slash which is unacceptable in a Gn'R context after all those Slaxless years.

This. 

Richard is cool, but his lead is too much like Slash, but lesser. 

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah, I think I got more from his style than his tone. It's unmistakenly different than Slash's tone, that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

No, I was talking about Monsters. The General is 100% Slash.

This. 

Richard is cool, but his lead is too much like Slash, but lesser. 

Yeah, I think I got more from his style than his tone. It's unmistakenly different than Slash's tone, that's for sure.

Interesting on The General, he shreds very well towards the end of that song. 

Do you believe the bit towards the end of Hard Skool before the chorus repeats is Richard as well? It sounds like Bucket in the 2000 mix. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Interesting on The General, he shreds very well towards the end of that song. 

Do you believe the bit towards the end of Hard Skool before the chorus repeats is Richard as well? It sounds like Bucket in the 2000 mix. 

I'm not sure, the 2021 version doesn't sound like Bucket to me. At first I thought it was him, but his tapping wouldn't be just chromatic notes (meaning, just the note and the nearby note). The demo has a different pattern with his multiple finger tapping, going up and down with the notes, which does sound like Bucket. 

Edited by Voodoochild
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

I'm not sure, the 2021 version doesn't sound like Bucket to me. At first I thought it was him, but his tapping wouldn't be just chromatic notes (meaning, just the note and the nearby note). The demo has a different pattern with his multiple finger tapping, going up and down with the notes, which does sound like Bucket. 

I appreciate your input on this. I agree, it sounds different from the demo, but inspired by it at least. I wish they just kept him in there, it's maddening to me how quick they are to spend time and money recreating parts that are already great, though that's how they have done things for a while to keep current members included, which is understandable. I suppose that bit is the least thing to worry about with the 2021 Hard Skool. (Drums, mixing, etc.) :( 

I wouldn't be such a bother here and elsewhere with the Bucket/Robin posts if the NITL mixes were better. Perhaps seems to be the anomaly so far, where it sounds good from a production standpoint, and I'd say overall better than the 2000 leak, and Robin's first few seconds of his solo being present was more than a present to me. :) 

In other words, if they take the new Slash, Duff, etc. bit and mix and master the songs properly, that would be acceptable. Instead, some of these songs just sound maddening. Hard Skool and The General seeming to suffer most. Absurd is as it is named, so it works for that one, and I actually enjoy Slash on that song.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I appreciate your input on this. I agree, it sounds different from the demo, but inspired by it at least. I wish they just kept him in there, it's maddening to me how quick they are to spend time and money recreating parts that are already great, though that's how they have done things for a while to keep current members included, which is understandable. I suppose that bit is the least thing to worry about with the 2021 Hard Skool. (Drums, mixing, etc.) :( 

I wouldn't be such a bother here and elsewhere with the Bucket/Robin posts if the NITL mixes were better. Perhaps seems to be the anomaly so far, where it sounds good from a production standpoint, and I'd say overall better than the 2000 leak, and Robin's first few seconds of his solo being present was more than a present to me. :) 

In other words, if they take the new Slash, Duff, etc. bit and mix and master the songs properly, that would be acceptable. Instead, some of these songs just sound maddening. Hard Skool and The General seeming to suffer most. Absurd is as it is named, so it works for that one, and I actually enjoy Slash on that song.

It's been a while since I last heard Hard School from the Village, so I was kinda amazed about how great is that demo. Thankfully we have it to listen to. There's lead work throughout those last choruses, which kinda sounds messy, but at least is something more than simple pattern riffs in a already repetitive song. And I do like Slash's guitar in the song, is just that it could've been better IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

It's been a while since I last heard Hard School from the Village, so I was kinda amazed about how great is that demo. Thankfully we have it to listen to. There's lead work throughout those last choruses, which kinda sounds messy, but at least is something more than simple pattern riffs in a already repetitive song. And I do like Slash's guitar in the song, is just that it could've been better IMO.

I like Slash's second part of his solo in 2021 Hard Skool. Aside from that, I miss just about everything from the 2000 mix. 

• Like 1