Fortus disagrees with Nuno Bettencourt over Slash's guitar skills - Nuno responds

49 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

More Than Words is considered a late classic of the hair band era, just before grunge came through and wiped it away. These days, you can hear it at karaoke nights and just about every college acapella group gives it a try. Get The Funk Out was a minor hit at the time, but it was always incredibly cheesy and lame. The rest of those songs, the overwhelming majority of people have never heard and don't care about. It's irrelevant.

Furthermore, no one's debating who wrote better songs (by the way, I count only *one* song that Nuno Bettencourt should boast of writing, and that's More Than Words). It's a debate over chops, and who could handle the Rihanna gig. Richard Fortus has handled the Rihanna gig, so that's not even a debate. And if you don't think he has chops, you're not paying attention.

This is what Nuno Bettencourt is up to now, by the way:

'Keep rock and roll alive,' and 'the winner is rock 'n' roll,' are two of the cringiest, most embarrassing things I've ever read. Grow the fuck up. If you're over the age of, say, 25 and you're still talking about "rock n' roll forever," or shouting things like "rock ain't dead," or worrying over young people not listening to the same boring guitar shredders that they used to, then you're a loser. You're going to start an 'initiative to keep rock n' roll alive?' Maybe start by writing a song that people actually like to listen to. It's that simple.

By the way - "rock n' roll" is doing just fine. Many of Extreme's contemporaries like Metallica, The Foo Fighters, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, U2, Green Day, etc. are all selling out arenas and stadiums. It's just that no one gives a shit about 80s butt rock shredders like Extreme anymore, because that shit is boring and always has been.

I'd take Richard's Better chorus riff over Nuno's entire catalog with Extreme. Kidding. Kinda.

It’s funny - Slash isn’t the most technically gifted guitarist in the world. But his strength is that he doesn’t need to be - he can (certainly back in the day) say more in 10 notes than some can say in a 100.

November Rain is a perfect example - it’s not overly difficult from a technical sense however but absolutely nails what it needs to convey AND is one of the most famous solos ever. Estranged too - plays the right notes, amount of notes and it’s stunning. Yet from a technical level it’s probably not that difficult.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

More Than Words is considered a late classic of the hair band era, just before grunge came through and wiped it away. These days, you can hear it at karaoke nights and just about every college acapella group gives it a try. Get The Funk Out was a minor hit at the time, but it was always incredibly cheesy and lame. The rest of those songs, the overwhelming majority of people have never heard and don't care about. It's irrelevant.

Furthermore, no one's debating who wrote better songs (by the way, I count only *one* song that Nuno Bettencourt should boast of writing, and that's More Than Words). It's a debate over chops, and who could handle the Rihanna gig. Richard Fortus has handled the Rihanna gig, so that's not even a debate. And if you don't think he has chops, you're not paying attention.

This is what Nuno Bettencourt is up to now, by the way:

'Keep rock and roll alive,' and 'the winner is rock 'n' roll,' are two of the cringiest, most embarrassing things I've ever read. Grow the fuck up. If you're over the age of, say, 25 and you're still talking about "rock n' roll forever," or shouting things like "rock ain't dead," or worrying over young people not listening to the same boring guitar shredders that they used to, then you're a loser. You're going to start an 'initiative to keep rock n' roll alive?' Maybe start by writing a song that people actually like to listen to. It's that simple.

By the way - "rock n' roll" is doing just fine. Many of Extreme's contemporaries like Metallica, The Foo Fighters, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, U2, Green Day, etc. are all selling out arenas and stadiums. It's just that no one gives a shit about 80s butt rock shredders like Extreme anymore, because that shit is boring and always has been.

Cant try and discredit extremes music when Richard has put out nothing that has even sold 10 percent of what they have sold.

More people would know who nuno was then richard fortus. Even after guns massive tours a majority dont know him or think its Izzy on stage. 

Saying that though this is a childish internet argument on both guitarists sides. No one is impressed with who can or cant play a lip syncing pop artists shitty music.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 3

I think a lot of people need to realize that we don't need to tear one down to built another up.  Nuno is a great guitarist, Richard is a great guitarist, and they both excel and have succesful careers doing different things

Nuno saying something a bit wonky doesn't detract from that, and to me doing the whole "Richard hasn't had a hit of his own" or "Nuno is only known for being a part of a one-hit wonder band" to me is pointless.  Any guitar player would kill to be in either of their positions in terms of oppurtunities and financially

And getting the Rihanna gig is pretty sweet, I would no hesistation jump at the chance to be able to do that

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

That was surprisingly lame :D

Yeah I thought so too. I usually enjoy his videos but here he just stated what happened without really analyzing it and giving his opinion.. maybe because he’s cool with both Richard and Nuno and wants it to stay like this

most interesting thing was that he follows Richard on Strava :D

• Like 2

18 hours ago, vloors said:

More people would know who nuno was then richard fortus. Even after guns massive tours a majority dont know him or think its Izzy on stage. 

If f I recall correctly, at a few Threeunion shows (at lest 3 or 4) I’ve had to turn back to some overexcited pleeb and gently correct them that in fact it ISNT Izzy on stage 😬

Always quite (awkwardly) hysterical to the rest of us!

7 hours ago, IzzysMissy said:

If f I recall correctly, at a few Threeunion shows (at lest 3 or 4) I’ve had to turn back to some overexcited pleeb and gently correct them that in fact it ISNT Izzy on stage 😬

Always quite (awkwardly) hysterical to the rest of us!

Yep ive been to 7 shows over the years. Most have no idea. If only it was izzy.

• Like 1