Fortus disagrees with Nuno Bettencourt over Slash's guitar skills - Nuno responds

Call me ignorant... but the only thing that I even know about this Bettencourt guy is that his last name sounds familiar.  If someone asked me who 'Nuno Bettencourt' is on the street, I'd have no idea.  Maybe Extreme never interested me enough to care.  I also don't live and breathe rock music, nor am I a musician outside of my shower... just a nostalgic GNR nerd.  

But now that I know who this guy is, he sounds like a proper douche.  I'm a big fan of guys like David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Joe Perry, EVH and Slash (as a few examples).  I think most would consider all those guys 'elite' guitar players, for what they do.  I'm willing to bet most casual music fans (at least who grew up in part during the 20th century) have a general idea of who all of those guys are, too.   

I'm also willing to bet that a lot of those casual fans have no idea who this clown Nuno is.

I'd put all my chips on the table and say that all of the above guys I mentioned would never, ever, come out and say they're one of the greatest guitar players to ever live.  Or brag about how many magazine covers they've been on.   They're among the best.  They don't HAVE to.  

When you have to though, you come off as a proper douche bag.

Enjoy playing with Rhianna.  

• Like 2

At least Nuno didn't boast about his producing and mixing skills, because the latest Extreme record sounds like absolute gatbage.

Some good songs here, but gosh does it sound awful. Makes Absurd sound audiophile friendly.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, matt1313 said:

Call me ignorant... but the only thing that I even know about this Bettencourt guy is that his last name sounds familiar.  If someone asked me who 'Nuno Bettencourt' is on the street, I'd have no idea.  Maybe Extreme never interested me enough to care.  I also don't live and breathe rock music, nor am I a musician outside of my shower... just a nostalgic GNR nerd.  

THIS.

In my 31 years of being alive never heard this guy playing one note more than in that one hit wonder song "more than words"

• Like 2

Really douchey response from Nuno.

But in a way I can kind of see where he is coming from. Sure, Slash can play all kinds of stuff really well and amazingly, but he will always sound like Slash. And in some situations that "Slashness" can be distracting or it can overpower something else in the song.

And it's ironic, because if that's Nuno's argument or reasoning for what he said, then Fortus would probably be a better man for the job than Slash, because Fortus, the amazing guitarist that he is, can sound like a lot of things, because he doesn't have a recognizable signature sound like Slash has :headbang:rock4

Different tools (Nuno being the biggest one here) for different jobs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LA_0013 said:

Ironic thing is - Richard could arguably go Nuno on the guitar just as good as, if not better, than Slash 

How so? What has Fortus written that's in the league of the GTFO solo that was praised by Brian May? 

1 hour ago, LA_0013 said:

Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, matt1313 said:

But now that I know who this guy is, he sounds like a proper douche.  I'm a big fan of guys like David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Joe Perry, EVH and Slash (as a few examples).  I think most would consider all those guys 'elite' guitar players, for what they do.  I'm willing to bet most casual music fans (at least who grew up in part during the 20th century) have a general idea of who all of those guys are, too.   

I'm also willing to bet that a lot of those casual fans have no idea who this clown Nuno is.

I'd put all my chips on the table and say that all of the above guys I mentioned would never, ever, come out and say they're one of the greatest guitar players to ever live.  Or brag about how many magazine covers they've been on.   They're among the best.  They don't HAVE to.  

When you have to though, you come off as a proper douche bag.

Enjoy playing with Rhianna.  

This. A million percent this.

Rihanna’s music is exceptionally diatonic… he’s hardly playing over bebop changes/jazz harmony. Sure, pop arrangements require a different approach, and no - slash isn’t a pop player… but it’s hardly Weather Report, either. Nuno’s having a little moment since Rickophant the Sycophant Beato had him on his show and performed what can only be described as verbal fellatio on him.

Richard shouldn’t have risen to it either. I’m cringing at all the ‘no offence intended but…’ debate between them. It’d be cooler if… ahem.. “4Tus”…. was like ‘bitch, Extreme is Bill & Ted Buttrock, fuck you and fuck Rihanna, meet me outside Denny’s at midnight, me and slash are gonna fuck you AND Gary cherone up’. Let’s get the toxic masculinity back into rock.

• Haha 3

Nuno is right. Just seeing Slash playin Chinese songs shows how he struggle with things that aint his style.

You also see that on the Crazy Train and Aint Talkin About Love with VR

I have huge respect for Fortus but he shouldnt try to defend Slash like that and get schooled

Edited by Beto 22
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Fortus said nothing wrong. Nuno sounds like a big time bitch with that response.

Nuno can pretend not to have ever heard Fortus play all he wants. That’s a lie.

And, tbh, I never heard of this dipshit before. That seems to be the problem he has. No one knows who Nuno is compared to the guitarists he thinks he’s better than (Prince, EVH, Slash, etc).

Nuno, since you have a giant ego, I’m sure you Google yourself to see what people are saying about you. Slash isn’t your peer. Everybody knows Slash. No one knows you. 

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

Guitar player whores himself out for money, doesn't like he has whored himself for money, deflects in the hopes of distracting himself and everyone else of the sad fact that he whored himself out for money...

Which guitar player are you referring to :lol:

40 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Just seeing Slash playin Chinese songs shows how he struggle with things that aint his style.

Consciously choosing to play something differently is not a sign of struggle 😂 He's put his own slant on them, on purpose. If he'd never left the band and those songs still got produced, what they sound like now is what they would have sounded like then.

Look at Duff, Richard, and Frank. All three played with the previous lineup, and are playing differently now to how they did then. In Richard's case, even playing different parts sometimes.

Slash could no doubt play note-for-note like on the record (sort of what this whole thread is about in a way), but do any of us want to hear that? No, for better or worse we want to hear Slash play like Slash, and that's what he does.

Do the CD songs sound differently today? Of course! But they sound like Slash is playing them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

It's especially funny since Slash has dabbled in all genre, playing with Fergie and even on the Barbie track now and NB probably forgot this...

This is my favorite part of all this. Nuno was just talking out of his @$$ & Slash was probably the first guitarist he could think of to make an analogy, not realizing Slash played with Rihanna 13 years before he did.

• Like 1