Fortus disagrees with Nuno Bettencourt over Slash's guitar skills - Nuno responds

As someone who’s birth name is Nuno, seeing shit like this makes me glad that I started going by my middle name…

That being said, Nuno is still a solid guitarist. The solo on that new Extreme song “Rise” is pretty damn cool. If only he could be a bit more humble.

This isn’t the first time he said shit like this, though. A few months ago he said “Now that Eddie Van Halen is dead, someone needs to be the new guitar hero.” He was referring to himself…

He clearly likes and/or is jealous of GnR, though. Which makes sense, since both bands started at the same time. He even auditioned for them at least once, and wanted to call the new Extreme album Portuguese Democracy.

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't think Richard was wrong on that, but I get what Nuno was saying at first. His response to Fortus was childish indeed. 

I tried to watch Rick Beato interview with Nuno and let me just say that I couldn't get past the 5 min (it was over an hour long). 

Hahaha. He's Portuguese, I believe?

Correct.

• Like 2

Wow.... Nuno just came in and shit all over Fortus. I read what Nuno said in that interview, and it was very clear that he said a guy like Slash couldn't do that gig. He might say he was misquoted but that's what was said. 

Absolutely no need for Nuno to go with the I've never heard of you / replacement guitarist.... lines trying to suggest Richard or anybody who isn't as famous as Nuno should dare challenge him on a stupid comment. 

I heard Nuno playing that Rihanna gig, and he can say he wants but it was Nuno playing rock guitar over the Rihanna band, he was wasn't perfectly nailing rnb, reggae and all those styles. 

I think Nuno is a fabulous guitarist but this response is way over the top. Extreme can consider all possible support slots with gnr off the table🤣

• Like 2

Nuno could have just said "Slash was a bad example, I just meant rock guitarist in general have a difficult time playing outside of a rock context" which by and large is true. He made the statement about an iconic player, so he should know there's blowback on that. See how he also framed it like "everybody's jealous of me because I get so much press time, just wanting to tear me down". Very arrogant and the only person tearing him down is himself.

Doubt Richard responds to this, but it would be interesting 😄

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

As someone who’s birth name is Nuno, seeing shit like this makes me glad that I started going by my middle name…

Your middle name is rocknroll41!? Your parents were cool! 

Nuno is definitely being a dick. he's the guitarist in extreme. Yes they were semi popular and had a couple big hits and he's decent, but he's hardly in any position to be talking down about slash, or any guitarist. I bet fortus is the technically more proficient and genre flexible guitarist anyway. #Team4tus 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Major overreaction by Nuno. Fortus didn't attack him, he just respectfully disagreed with what he said, and in turn Nuno writes paragraphs putting down Fortus and trying to backtrack on what he did say. Not a great look Nuno.

• Like 2

"In 1995, Extreme released the album Waiting for the Punchline, but the band broke up in 1996 when Bettencourt decided to pursue a solo career.[3] Shortly afterward, singer Gary Cherone became the lead singer of Van Halen.[3]" 

So he's to blame for Van Halen III. Thanks a lot Nuno! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

Slash played with Michael Jackson.

End of discussion.

DIdn't slash also do a song with Rihanna? And Nuno says he hasn't heard Fortus' playing at all... he's been in GNR 20+ years and last 7+ years w/ Slash. Nuno wanted to give himself false props by using Slash's name to elevate himself. Anyway... Props to Fortus for his response, which wasn't distasteful or rude. Nuno Butthurtcourt. 

"Apologies if I've unintentionally offended anyone"

He probably hadn't... until now when he shat on Richard for no reason.

Should Richard have said anything? Probably not. Did Nuno need to put out that god-awful response? Definitely not.

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 2

Wow, Fortus was pretty polite and calling Nuno a "great" and then he gets that response....NB is just pissed his quote isn't going away and that a fellow professional brought it up ...but he's (RF) Slash's sparring partner these days, obvious decent friends, so he felt he should....Nuno should own his words or correct the record as he did in the latter half of his statement...the first half was bitter and derogatory towards Richard, who is probably more talented as a musician (obviously doesn't have the output!) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KURT19 said:

This is the problem with click-bait “journalism”…

Stupid non-story.

I am with you but in this case it wasn't clickbait.. Nuno said what he said.. There wasn't much room for interpretation.. The guys is a major douche  with one of the biggest egos I have ever seen. Look at the beginning of his reply boasting about being on the cover of all these guitar magazines.. What a clown.. Last year I saw them open for Aerosmith and he was telling stories about himself and sucking his own dick then. A few weeks ago I read something from him telling a story about Prince telling his gf that Nuno was one of the top 3 guitar players he has ever seen. It never stops with that clown. 

Props to Richard for sticking up for Slash. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

The tone of his original interview is egotistical. And his response to Fortus is even more egotistical. Comes across as a bellend on both counts. 

Cant even help himself reemphasizing his own accomplishments in the opening paragraph to the response 

it’s ok Nuno, we get it. You’re an accomplished guitarist with so much ‘attention for your playing and new album’ 👏🏻 

• Like 2

Well, I guess Nuno doesn't really think before he says something - that was the case in the early 90s when he call the tapping "silly stuff" and later EVH gave him a lesson as Nuno says himself "But the second I go into the tapping part, Eddie turns around and stops me. He goes, ‘Hey, hey, none of that silly stuff.’ That scared the shit out of me." Well, I guess his ego is a little bit too much, but maybe it should be - he's been praised by Eddie, Brian May, Paul Gilbert just to name a few iconic names. All that said, it doesn't change the fact that he has acted like a complete moron. Props to 4tus !

• Like 2

Fortus playing it very well so far, he's been nothing but complimentary and diplomatic to Nuno even after Nunos very aggressive post which he's definitely seen by now.. considering Nuno linked him into it😄 god, Nuno might be one of the greats but he has definitely shown his "star quality". I could see Richard throwing some subtle shade on Nuno down the line, but with Richard you never know when he'll strike. Look how long it took him to go for the ex gnr guys 😄 I mean Richard might be in the right here, but let's not forget his egotistical side too.

There are just some people that should not be on the internet searching their own name, Nuno is one of those.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rumtonger said:

Well, I guess Nuno doesn't really think before he says something - that was the case in the early 90s when he call the tapping "silly stuff" and later EVH gave him a lesson as Nuno says himself "But the second I go into the tapping part, Eddie turns around and stops me. He goes, ‘Hey, hey, none of that silly stuff.’ That scared the shit out of me." Well, I guess his ego is a little bit too much, but maybe it should be - he's been praised by Eddie, Brian May, Paul Gilbert just to name a few iconic names. All that said, it doesn't change the fact that he has acted like a complete moron. Props to 4tus !

John Mayer also praised him. I can see that inflating his ego a bit too.

Guitar player whores himself out for money, doesn't like he has whored himself for money, deflects in the hopes of distracting himself and everyone else of the sad fact that he whored himself out for money...

Edited by Nintari