Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

On 9/2/2023 at 2:34 PM, evilfacelessturtle said:

I think his modern tone, at least live, is awful.

Listen to how he does the intro to Paradise City, with zero chorus or reverb whatsoever. Sounds terrible.

Also, his tone is so lacking in sustain that he often has to re-pluck a note because it's died out half-way through. Never mind that clean tone exposes the smallest mistakes and as a result he sounds sloppier today than when he was drinking a half gallon of vodka a day.

To me, his peak tone was the UYI tour. Even better than the album. His solo sections, from '92-'93 especially, were just so f*ckin dirty.

I mean, dear god...

I think after playing the same songs for 30+ years he goes on autopilot.

Also add the drink/drugs probably kept slash more fluid and inspired back then. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 5:37 PM, THELINESMAN said:

Where is the full on rasp coming from all of a sudden like in the last chorus here? Sounds great. It’s like he gets fired up to sing new stuff. Which means he should release more new stuff 😂

The rasp wants to come out. His purposely holding it back.

• Like 1

I also think the live version of “Perhaps” has improved since its debut. Chorus sounds good with Duff and company singing it and Axl wailing “You’re all alone.” I do love that he comes in full rasp, “you used to be a little crazy …”

Fuck. Makes me kinda wish for the last chorus of the studio version, we had full rasp on that final line. 

I wonder why they didn't have Slash play the first two seconds of Robin's solo verbatim then play his solo. I feel like they should have either done that, or used Robin's solo entirely, then extended the song by ten or so seconds with a Slash solo, sort of like how they did TWAT or CD with Robin and Buckethead, and Quick Song. 

I love that Robin is on this song, but the transition to Slash's solo is noticeable. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I wonder why they didn't have Slash play the first two seconds of Robin's solo verbatim then play his solo. I feel like they should have either done that, or used Robin's solo entirely, then extended the song by ten or so seconds with a Slash solo, sort of like how they did TWAT or CD with Robin and Buckethead, and Quick Song. 

I love that Robin is on this song, but the transition to Slash's solo is noticeable. 

I personally have no problem with the transition. My main problem is that the solo ends when it should pick up intensity and speed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I personally have no problem with the transition. My main problem is that the solo ends when it should pick up intensity and speed.

I feel like Robin's solo was significantly more intense. He plays the initial high note again, which to me was the climax of the song, at least the 2000 mix. Now, the climax is me imagining Robin's solo during Slash's solo. :P 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Are we now sure that those two notes are exactly the same recording from Robin's solo in the Village Leaks and haven't been reproduced by either Slash himself or Richard? Do our guitar experts on here have a fairly certain idea about it? I apologize if this was already discussed, I might have missed it in such a long thread.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I feel like Robin's solo was significantly more intense. He plays the initial high note again, which to me was the climax of the song, at least the 2000 mix. Now, the climax is me imagining Robin's solo during Slash's solo. :P 

I don't know. The demo solo I heard wasn't anything special either. Don't know if it was the 2000 mix or something else.

8 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Are we now sure that those two notes are exactly the same recording from Robin's solo in the Village Leaks and haven't been reproduced by either Slash himself or Richard? Do our guitar experts on here have a fairly certain idea about it? I apologize if this was already discussed, I might have missed it in such a long thread.

It has been brought up, the general consensus is that it is Robin's playing. Not only does it sound exactly like his from the Village rough mix, if Slash played those notes, I feel like they would have comped/blended it better with what he played. I feel they would have done the same with Richard, had he played it. I imagine it would be weird to ask Richard to play a 2 second solo before Slash's anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I don't know. The demo solo I heard wasn't anything special either. Don't know if it was the 2000 mix or something else.

The 2000 mix is the only other version we have apart from the official, at least that leaked anyway.

I'll admit I didn't think highly of the song as a whole initially, it grew on me. 

27 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Far from being an expert, but IMO it sounds exactly like the leak, but with less gain. Sounds like the same recording from the leak indeed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

To me the final version and the village leak sound a little different, the final version sounds with less gain and on the final version the second note is sustained, different from the village mix where the second note is very short. Maybe they updated the song over the years and changed some parts, and kept them on the final version, like the additional notes on 0:19 and 2:44, and the high guitar notes on 1:29 and 3:21.

I think the most likely scenario is that it's a snippet of a different take from Robin. The last note sustains, so it obviously cannot be the exact same take as the demo solo. But the tone is the same as the demo and is clearly different from Slash's tone, so chances are it is Robin.

The real mystery is whether it was intentional or not.

• Like 1