Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

3 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Personally I think it would be better just to have Melissa and Duff provide the backing vocals. Listening live, the Axl backing track really stands out and I was thinking "what the hell is that" when listening in person. 

I know Axl can't possibly sing those lines and the "all alone" lines. I just don't see why it is necessary to have more than Duff and Melissa.

Yes, the backing track stands out in the videos, too - even more than the track they use on Locomotive (because there Axl sings over it in his low voice).

I think Axl should either sing the main part of the chorus in high-pitched voice and harmonize with Duff (and Dizzy), and let Melissa do the "you're all alone" parts, or sing the main part in low voice (with Melissa doing the high notes) and the "all alone" parts in high voice.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mystery said:

This is semi-related to Perhaps as this relates to the same general time period. I was reading this Dave Dominguez interview from a few years back and he noted that he didn't recognize much of the music from Chinese Democracy from the time he was there.

One of the notable exceptions was Better which is a song that had music for it way earlier than most people thought and could have existed in some form as early as 1998. 

What's the source for this or do you have a quote. If it's from Dave is it possible he misremembered, I always remember reading it was a song Robin bought in, a riff he'd come up with rather when he returned so after late 2000. 4tus then added parts for the chorus. 

21 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

One last push for 4 mil guys!!

🤟😸

Obviously we all know that none of the concert footage was from performing Perhaps, however, I still find it funny that, at 2:56 in the video, you can clearly read the Rocket Queen lyrics on the teleprompters.

And, at 3:13 is YCBM.

Edited by Gnrcane

22 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

One last push for 4 mil guys!!

🤟😸

Kid rock was at 10 million for don't tell me how to live after a month. its at 13.1 million a year later. stones at 16.5 million in 2 weeks. Black summer released just over a year or so ago is nearly at 50 million view by RHCP. GnR have 11.5m YT subscribers. to not even be at 4m in a month is pretty shite tbh. i know we got excited coz there first few days it racked up a couple mil and was on radio. but once again, zero genuine promotion and marketing has harmed it and killed it dead. no radio interviews, no magazines, no tv appearances, no paid advertising spots. A shame coz this has been overwhelmingly positively received, but if the people don't know, then nobody cares. Haven't been able to escape the stones promoting their song. and it shows. Don't argue GnR aren't as big as stones, coz RHCP and Kid rock arent bigger! 

Edited by JimiRose
  • Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Obviously we all know that none of the concert footage was from performing Perhaps, however, I still find it funny that, at 2:56 in the video, you can clearly read the Rocket Queen lyrics on the teleprompters.

Well Duff is singing a bit of his backing vocals which they shot at soundcheck....did you catch that? 

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 5:32 AM, rumandraisin said:

What's the source for this or do you have a quote. If it's from Dave is it possible he misremembered, I always remember reading it was a song Robin bought in, a riff he'd come up with rather when he returned so after late 2000. 4tus then added parts for the chorus. 

So when the album came out in 2008 and you heard it, did you recognize a lot of the stuff you worked on?

"Not a thing, the only thing were the titles, but at that point, I had already been off for 10 years, so I couldn't remember any of the loops. I remember 'I.R.S.', 'Oklahoma'... 'Better.' kind of remember some of that."

That's from the interview. We also have the Three Dollar Pyramid leak which was supposedly recorded in 2001. Don't know if we have any other source to support that the song already existed before that.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

no radio interviews, no magazines, no tv appearances, no paid advertising spots

There was the Times Square promo which was pretty cool but you're right. There was simply no follow through to the initial promo and it quickly faded. You can't do that in today's world where there's constantly a new stream of trends across all these platforms.

50 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

GnR have 11.5m YT subscribers. to not even be at 4m in a month is pretty shite tbh

Yeah this is a horrible statistic.  They can't even get their own subscribers to watch their videos.

I think the constant YouTube deletions play some role in this. It pisses too many people off. It's like you're not good enough to watch a GNR video until they decide.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 4:22 AM, colonizedmind said:

*Officially : NO.....MYGNR answer : Of-Fuckin-Course

*If you believe the Italian Mafia

Gotta admit that it would be pretty cool if they only put TG out on vinyl.  Someone would obviously rip it and put it out there, but still.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

It's possible management considers a majority of GN'R fans can't read. :P

• Haha 3

Perhaps from Biloxi

Axl sang all the chorus again. Pretty good, although there's no reason to not let Duff and Melissa do the "you're all alone" parts (except the last one) on their own.

But the verses... I don't know why he switches his voice. It doesn't seem to be a matter of rehearsal, since he has sung it a few times. He probably has decided that's how he should sing them.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4