Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Haha that would be great! I'm sure Slash and Richard could have copied Robin's 3 seconds, and better fitting it to Slash's solo, so it certainly was deliberate to keep Robin on there in some capacity.

I sure hope we get more seconds of Bucket on the next song. :) 

Pennies suddenly dropped, it's likely there'll be 3 seconds of Bucket on The General. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Pennies suddenly dropped, it's likely there'll be 3 seconds of Bucket on The General. 

If The General is one of Brain's songs, I assume Bucket was also involved as they seemed to be a good creative pair from the Village leaks, at least for the instrumentals. 

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

Robin Finck was a much more stable and productive member of GNR than Buckethead. Buckethead is very talented, and creative as well, but wasn't a great team player.

It would not surprise me if Axl feels less motivated to credit Buckethead with something... unless his work was insanely good.

22 hours ago, kruelty said:

As a side note I really appreciate the additional subtle riffing Slash does on these ChiDem tunes. His little chromatic run on the chorus adds a lot in my opinion. He does the same on the Hard Skool verses and Absurd choruses, I dig it.

Personally, I really think his playing is just fine on the 3 leftovers. Absurd is a poor song, but the guitars are great. I love Hard Skool and think Slash completely elevated the song. I never thought the original intro and bridge really fit. Now it all sounds cohesive and the slide solo is really nice.

Perhaps has solid guitar playing throughout the whole song. It’s a lot more understated than Absurd and HS, but there are some really neat parts that help bring out the rest of the song and make the whole thing sound more like classic GNR. Although it fits the song, I do think the solo is a bit underwhelming. I dig the Robin bend and the first half of Slash’s solo, but I think something more intense would have benefited in the second half

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Perhaps has solid guitar playing throughout the whole song. It’s a lot more understated than Absurd and HS, but there are some really neat parts that help bring out the rest of the song and make the whole thing sound more like classic GNR. Although it fits the song, I do think the solo is a bit underwhelming. I dig the Robin bend and the first half of Slash’s solo, but I think something more intense would have benefited in the second half

I think the guitar work in Perhaps is a bit underrated due to poor mixing. If you listen closely under the last chorus there's some cool Slash soloing but it is mixed so low you can barely hear it 

4 minutes ago, Caedo said:

I think the guitar work in Perhaps is a bit underrated due to poor mixing. If you listen closely under the last chorus there's some cool Slash soloing but it is mixed so low you can barely hear it 

Does he do it much live there though? Haven't noticed....hoping for some epic slash licks on The General....surely that will come to pass...think he'll do some great work on Atlas too....if you're replacing Sir Brian May, I'm sure Slash will bring it considering that....

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

If The General is one of Brain's songs, I assume Bucket was also involved as they seemed to be a good creative pair from the Village leaks, at least for the instrumentals. 

Isn't VL mostly sans Bucket?

16 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Isn't VL mostly sans Bucket?

It is on many (or most) of the material with vocals, with the clear exception of If The World. But there are several instrumentals that are Bucket and Brain heavy, in fact some songs are labeled with Buckethead, sometimes abbreviated. Some of these instrumentals are I'm Sorry, Tonto, Shackler's Revenge, and others. I can't remember the names of the others, but some sound like they came straight off a Buckethead album from that time period. 

17 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Robin Finck was a much more stable and productive member of GNR than Buckethead. Buckethead is very talented, and creative as well, but wasn't a great team player.

It would not surprise me if Axl feels less motivated to credit Buckethead with something... unless his work was insanely good.

I feel like Robin def collaborated a lot more with other band members. Besides Better, the Village demos with Josh on drums are all a team effort. All of Bucket demos were mostly just him and Brain.

But I do think Axl thought Bucket's work was insanely good. That's why so much of his tracks got promoted to the A-list in the released record, even though the guy had left the band for more than 4 years at that point.

16 hours ago, Caedo said:

Not sure about a hidden solo in the last chorus. Can you tell me exactly when you hear that?

And I disagree about Perhaps's mixing. I think it's ok, it works just fine with the song.

5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Not sure about a hidden solo in the last chorus. Can you tell me exactly when you hear that?

And I disagree about Perhaps's mixing. I think it's ok, it works just fine with the song.

Maybe I'm hearing things. I feel like I can hear a noodling sort of guitar line under the chorus :shrugs:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Real McCoy said:

Looking at this week’s published active rock radio chart, “Perhaps” is currently at #11, but two songs are lookin likely to drop off the chart next week, so it should land at #10 or #9 when that happens. 

It got to #9 already a week or so ago and is now moving in the wrong direction. It‘s likely topped out and will be falling down the charts. 

https://www.pollstar.com/charts/34/active-rock

https://hitsdd.section101.com/mediabase_chart_details&fmt=R2

1 minute ago, jimisbatman said:

But we'll never know as there's nothing to compare the song too, no one has demo. 

I think we will be able to tell regardless, and I can make out some guitar in the party recording, not sure if it’s Bucket or Robin though, but I know the melody. I hope Slash copies that melody if he plays on it, but that’s doubtful. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I think we will be able to tell regardless, and I can make out some guitar in the party recording, not sure if it’s Bucket or Robin though, but I know the melody. I hope Slash copies that melody if he plays on it, but that’s doubtful. 

I think if there is a Bucket snippet it'll be classic Bucket. A ridiculous bit of tapping. 

And I really can see it happening, I do think as I've said Robin's bit on Perhaps is a joke. A little nod to the fans from Axl to say "you wanted Finck, here you go!"

After all, TB are well aware of what is discussed here. 

8 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I think if there is a Bucket snippet it'll be classic Bucket. A ridiculous bit of tapping. 

And I really can see it happening, I do think as I've said Robin's bit on Perhaps is a joke. A little nod to the fans from Axl to say "you wanted Finck, here you go!"

After all, TB are well aware of what is discussed here. 

I agree, I was just thinking about that today. My favorite part of Perhaps is Axl's "All alone!" then immediately hearing Robin's high note that matches Axl's pitch, it was too good to remove. 

I'm assuming we will get some more Bucket stuff from their official releases, I'd love it if they kept an entire solo or two of his intact. If they do release an album eventually, they could easily tack on a few songs that are untouched from NITL and have them mastered with the rest of the songs so they still sound cohesive as an album.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 12:18 PM, Trin9498 said:

Slash’s solo has grown on me and now I like it more than the demo. 

Because like anything....music rarely seeps through us on first listen....people proclaim all-sorts (sometimes truth or genuine) BUT of course Perhaps that you've listen to a 1000 times since '19 and enjoyed is embedded in your mind and that's what you hear! Now that the new one is in our heads and we hear it that way live, it has ousted the low quality demo for many too....

• Like 2