Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

On 10/13/2023 at 7:02 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I still hope we get a higher quality version of the demo eventually. Not only is Robin's solo better, I like the 'riff' in the verses being played by Tommy better than Slash. Someone posted these on discord recently, this is the part I'm talking about:

https://streamable.com/z24a47

Now that we've had the official version for a while, I think basically everything is better on the demo version except for the drums.

The weeping guitars in the verses give the demo a haunting feeling. I like them a lot, but when I compare it to the studio release, the cacophony of sound in the locker leak is a little messy. There is too much going on underneath. It's like the guitar riffs are battling against Axl rather than complementing him. It sounds dope in the lyrical breaks. For example, in the first verse, I love the guitars after "now he is no more" and "like I was before."

I loved the locker leak, and I still love parts of it, but the studio version is more preferable to me, including Slash's solo. I love that they kept in that initial bend, then another one underneath Slash's solo. "Perhaps" in its current form sounds more classic GNR with Slash's and Duff's parts.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

The weeping guitars in the verses give the demo a haunting feeling. I like them a lot, but when I compare it to the studio release, the cacophony of sound in the locker leak is a little messy. There is too much going on underneath. It's like the guitar riffs are battling against Axl rather than complementing him. It sounds dope in the lyrical breaks. For example, in the first verse, I love the guitars after "now he is no more" and "like I was before."

I loved the locker leak, and I still love parts of it, but the studio version is more preferable to me, including Slash's solo. I love that they kept in that initial bend, then another one underneath Slash's solo. "Perhaps" in its current form sounds more classic GNR with Slash's and Duff's parts.

Yea the demo does sound messy, but with a proper mix/master it could sound fantastic. I like that there's a lot going on though, the released version is almost too simple. Instrumentally, the demo is one of my favourite CD era tracks.

• Like 2

I like Axl's vocals on the official Perhaps more than the demo (except for his distorted dolphin sounds) the drums sound better (could be the mix), and most of all, the added backing vocals are great. The main riff seems more pronounced too, kinda get Sweet Home Alabama vibes from that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I agree. It was just a demo, and we have only one version of it. Properly mixed and mastered, could sound just as good as the official release in terms of sound quality.

--

Anyways, if anyone is interested in check some of the demo's original guitar arrangement, I did this:

Great chops sir! You should send this to Robin on his paid chat and say "Mr F, I've covered "your" latest single" 😸😝

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I agree. It was just a demo, and we have only one version of it. Properly mixed and mastered, could sound just as good as the official release in terms of sound quality.

--

Anyways, if anyone is interested in check some of the demo's original guitar arrangement, I did this:

Love your playing. Robin laid down a solid guitar track.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

--

This is fantastic. It's actually better than the official release. I kind of like perhaps, but if it sounded like this I'd seriously like it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

--

Great job my man, love the tone.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, hsvhsv28 said:

The German Store (de.gnrmerch.com) says, release and shipping November 3rd. Any news about this?

Just to confirm you are talking about the vinyl right? I've checked my order from the UK store and still showing as release date of 27th Oct.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hsvhsv28 said:

The German Store (de.gnrmerch.com) says, release and shipping November 3rd. Any news about this?

I can confirm this. Unfortunately a week more to wait. But I hope it gets released on time in the UK and in the US so we're able to listen to this god damn General on YT before it's going to drive everyone crazy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swedish said:

I read in my confirmation email that the vinyl won’t be shipped until the release date, so there’s a good chance none of us will get it until a couple of days after the 27th I would assume?

If that is how they worded it, sounds like next Friday is the release date for The General. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

If that is how they worded it, sounds like next Friday is the release date for The General. 

This is the exact quote:
”If your order is or contains a pre-order product, your item(s) will be picked, packed and shipped within 24 hours of the stated release date.“

What I’m trying to say is that if none of us are able to hear The General next Friday, we should not be to surprised!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 10:23 AM, Voodoochild said:

--

That’s you?! I’ve watched this quite a few times this year!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Swedish said:

This is the exact quote:
”If your order is or contains a pre-order product, your item(s) will be picked, packed and shipped within 24 hours of the stated release date.“

What I’m trying to say is that if none of us are able to hear The General next Friday, we should not be to surprised!

That sounds about right! Thanks.

• GNFNR 1