Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

4 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Apart from length, yes you've just repeated my post lol. I didn't mention length because some people out here said it can't be longer than 5 minutes due to vinyl time constraints. Not sure about that, I don't have vinyl.

Yes, true a 7" single only has capacity for 5 minutes each side. Forgot about that. Well, that sucks :lol:

• GNFNR 1

20 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

They had no problem fitting both Absurd and Shadow on one side. Even though Russ said it couldn't be done.

You can fit 7 mins at an absolute push but you do start to compromise SQ....anything more and they should of done the 12"! General being 6ish minutes would be amazing and we should temper our expectations to 5ish.....then anything is a bonus...could be a radio edit of what'll go on Spotify. I'd. Be happy enough with that....longer solo on the VT

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

You can fit 7 mins at an absolute push but you do start to compromise SQ....anything more and they should of done the 12"! General being 6ish minutes would be amazing and we should temper our expectations to 5ish.....then anything is a bonus...could be a radio edit of what'll go on Spotify. I'd. Be happy enough with that....longer solo on the VT

https://www.discogs.com/release/368536-Guns-N-Roses-November-Rain

If November Rain can fit in 1992, not sure why there would be a problem in 2023.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

https://www.discogs.com/release/368536-Guns-N-Roses-November-Rain

If November Rain can fit in 1992, not sure why there would be a problem in 2023.

They must be abysmal quality. Anything over 5 mins and you're really compromising the sound. Over 8 mins and it's going to sound awful. 

Some info here: 

https://peakvinyl.com/record-playtimes/

5 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

The Masterplan was B-Side to Wonderwall - and Masterplan is likely one of, if not the best song, Noel Gallagher wrote IMO.

Exactly. Oasis got so many great B-sides that they put them as an compilation album, The Masterplan, in 1998. None of them made it onto an album up to that point.

Edited by tboneman
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I don't think so, Axl said pretty definitively it would be named Soul Monster.

What year did he say that though? That information must be like atleast a decade old now? Just see how Silkworms changed title so anythings possible, I wouldn't draw conclusions right now because of years long, probably even pre-reunion information.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think you've misinterpreted his comment thinking "monster" is refering to "greatness", when in reality he's probably (to me: pretty obviously) refering to the song in that way because of what it sounds like. So it doesn't mean it has to be out there everywhere because it's an uber-song like November Rain or whatever. Not in the same way that NR is "a monster" song. Just.. it's a dark song.

We will get it digitally eventually anyways.

I think with 'monster' he tries to increase the word great. He could have used epic instead I think, but does it matter? I hope it's a monster but neither is Perhaps great nor would he say something negative about any song that is about to get released.

24 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I think with 'monster' he tries to increase the word great. He could have used epic instead I think, but does it matter? I hope it's a monster but neither is Perhaps great nor would he say something negative about any song that is about to get released.

Please see my post after that one:

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

If you really look at that description, and about which song in particular in this case, it would be a real, and I mean REAL, coincidence, that the song he's refering to as "monster" because of how good it is, happens to be a heavy, dark, slow grinding metal song possibly about child abuse lyrically. To me it's obvious he's calling it monster because of those things. Just too big a coincidence for me to believe that he would be refering to quality with that description.

You're telling me right now that the song he's refering to as "a monster" because of how great it is, also *just so happens to be* a slow grinding heavy dark metal song where the description of "monster" would happen to fit perfectly? Alright lol.

17 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're telling me right now that the song he's refering to as "a monster" because of how great it is, also *just so happens to be* a slow grinding heavy dark metal song where the description of "monster" would happen to fit perfectly? Alright lol.

No I'm not telling you anything. Just what I understood based on his wording. But yeah, hopefully it's how you understand it and it's indeed a dark heavy song. I'd prefer that tbh.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Well who knows with FL but if you were describing a 3 and half minute songs, I don't think Monster is the first thing that would come to mind...so hope it's got some decent length to it....but first and foremost, I'll take a song that even half lives up to our very long mythology!

6 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Well who knows with FL but if you were describing a 3 and half minute songs, I don't think Monster is the first thing that would come to mind...so hope it's got some decent length to it....but first and foremost, I'll take a song that even half lives up to our very long mythology!

Yes if it's also a long song..then that fits my argument that he was describing the song instead of refering to its "greatness" even more to be honest. Now that people have pointed out that November Rain was on vinyl at over 8 minutes length, it might even be that long. Not sure why people were saying it can't be over 5 minutes long now in the first place:lol:

21 hours ago, tboneman said:

Exactly. Oasis got so many great B-sides that they put them as an compilation album, The Masterplan, in 1998. None of them made it onto an album up to that point.

And Pearl Jam got so many great B-sides that they put them as a compilation album.

And many other artists have... without any of them having made it onto an album up to that point, because they were... B-sides.

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 6:18 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think you've misinterpreted his comment thinking "monster" is refering to "greatness", when in reality he's probably (to me: pretty obviously) refering to the song in that way because of what it sounds like. So it doesn't mean it has to be out there everywhere because it's an uber-song like November Rain or whatever. Not in the same way that NR is "a monster" song. Just.. it's a dark song.

We will get it digitally eventually anyways.

Lol. What

1 minute ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

And Pearl Jam got so many great B-sides that they put them as a compilation album.

And many other artists have...

Chili Peppers did a whole 17 track album of B-sides which they released as doubles over 3 months back in 2012! This is not a traditional B-Side....a song that wasn't deemed good enough for the top 12 that made the LP so it used to help fill out the singles....those days are long gone and anyways, often music is subjective and bands reject choices or were label forced and B-sides have as the guys and gals pointed out above become all time favourites...usually less commercial too.

13 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Why are people so obsessed with the length of the song? 

I don't think I've ever had any sort of opinion on a song based on its length.... 

Probably because GNR has history with long epic songs and the longer the song chances are higher for more rhythm changes and long guitar parts.

At least that's why I hope its a long track that screams for a great Slash solo

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 3