"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

4 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

Slash being on it is the downside to me. I don't believe his solos will top Finck's or Buckethead's original solos, similar to every other CD song he's redone, live and in studio. 

I thought his Hard Skool solo was fitting, the Absurd leads were fun, many of the live leads he does, while some may be shreddy, I think are for the most part fitting (Better, Sorry, CD, etc.) and actually like his Perhaps solo

All in all I am excited to hear his work on The General and the idea of Slash being on it entices me still than any of the CD guys personally - and I love Bucket

Edited by WhazUp

I think Atlas would have been received better if it had come out sooner (well, I mean, technically it still hasn't! :lol:). It's a fine piano led rock song but nothing extraordinary. I put it down to the title really - the title coming from a philosophical novel and the fact NuGuns had some epic songs meant I was expecting some proggy masterpiece and was really surprised when it was a fairly standard rock song which was very similar to Catcher

In terms of The General and Soul Monster - if the clip's anything to go by then it is more proggy NuGuns than a straightforward rocker or ballad. If Soul Monster is Me and My Elvis then I feel it's safe to say that's already an epic as an instrumental, in fact I still listen to it regularly and it's my favourite of the Village Leaks. With some vocals and a waily Slash solo then I'd be very surprised if I was underwhelmed. 

Edited by BassistSeb

12 minutes ago, liers said:

Maybe this has been mentioned and I missed it, but why do people think that state of grace became the general?

I think because the general was missing from the village leaks and the village leaks seems to contain all their material. 

20 minutes ago, liers said:

Maybe this has been mentioned and I missed it, but why do people think that state of grace became the general?

I think because in the audio of the cellphone clip there is a beat that sounds a tiny bit similar to the BPM to SOG however it is a fairly standard 4/4 groove so as of now I think it is just not enough to go by - especially seeing as the orchestral part and the parts we can make out in the cellhpone recording are in totally different keys

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, liers said:

Jarmo said that the next song to be released (The General) is a song that nobody has heard yet.
So I guess that it can't be State of Grace or any of the other leaks.

I’m very cautiously optimistic. To me, there’s been nothing on the Village Leaks that even came close to anything that could’ve been on Chinese Democracy (okay, maybe Hard Skool, but even that one would’ve been on the lower end of CD). After all - Atlas Shrugged was also a really hyped (at least to me) and when we finally heard the leak, it was a major let down (to me).

Still, the cell phone recording of The General sounds at least semi-promising. I’m excited.

• Like 1

All these people waiting for the release to listen to it... I will listen to anything I can get my hands on lol.

Can't wait for the rehearsals.

The cell phone clip is enough for me to think it's going to be a heavy song... and it is not State Of Grace.

It's odd how people would think it's state of grace. I can't remember anyone at the time thinking that 🤔

Maybe I forgot but in my mind the general was always the big one missing. 

I'm sure it can never live up to the expectancy. Some Will love it, others won't. It's like atlas shrugged.

I'm just happy we get another song, completely new to us. I hope they release it before the end of october 🤞🏻

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

Maybe I forgot but in my mind the general was always the big one missing. 

And Soul Monster, which is probably equally as hyped.

Though I’m of the belief that we’ve heard the backing track for Soul Monster - Me & My Elvis on the Village Leaks. It’s only okay, but it’s on the upper end of the Village Leaks, so that’s something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Meanwhile, Slash is one of the greatest guitar players of all time (in my opinion *the* greatest - I don’t think that should be a controversial opinion on a Guns N’ Roses forum), and yet we have people here complaining about a song they haven’t heard because he’s going to be on it.

2023 is the worst.

This. And I’ll keep saying it, if this track really is the spiritual successor to Estranged, Slash *needs* to be on it, and obviously Axl Rose thankfully agrees.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DeadHorseinaComa said:

I mean, it's gotta be the unknown Song that was rehearsed by Frank about a year ago right?

We’ll find out soon, but I think it’s a fairly safe bet now that they were indeed rehearsing bits of The General in those clips.

29 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

And Soul Monster, which is probably equally as hyped.

Though I’m of the belief that we’ve heard the backing track for Soul Monster - Me & My Elvis on the Village Leaks. It’s only okay, but it’s on the upper end of the Village Leaks, so that’s something.

I believe ‘Seven’ is another supposedly epic song that should have hype behind it, if ever heard. 

Wasn’t the general consensus years ago that the general was the intro song they played on the 06’ tour, the long doomy sounding instrumental that led into WTTJ?  Or am I remembering something else. So much speculation with these guys, it’s hard to keep it straight 

• Like 1

"There's a couple of epic ones coming out and I'm really excited about that" - Slash...

Obviously just my assumption but I think the ones to come will be more guitar heavy and more Slash moments to shine, as if they're "more epic" than what came before, it's probably gonna be tunes be got more stuck into and a chance to show off his guitar work, that's what more epic could be when applied to his opinion. I'm down.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

Wasn’t the general consensus years ago that the general was the intro song they played on the 06’ tour, the long doomy sounding instrumental that led into WTTJ?  Or am I remembering something else. So much speculation with these guys, it’s hard to keep it straight 

Yep that’s correct

2 hours ago, BassistSeb said:

I think Atlas would have been received better if it had come out sooner (well, I mean, technically it still hasn't! :lol:). It's a fine piano led rock song but nothing extraordinary. I put it down to the title really - the title coming from a philosophical novel and the fact NuGuns had some epic songs meant I was expecting some proggy masterpiece and was really surprised when it was a fairly standard rock song which was very similar to Catcher

In terms of The General and Soul Monster - if the clip's anything to go by then it is more proggy NuGuns than a straightforward rocker or ballad. If Soul Monster is Me and My Elvis then I feel it's safe to say that's already an epic as an instrumental, in fact I still listen to it regularly and it's my favourite of the Village Leaks. With some vocals and a waily Slash solo then I'd be very surprised if I was underwhelmed. 

I don’t recall Atlas having any piano whatsoever.

• Like 2

Wasn't there two different intros for "The General" back in 2006? I could've remember back in 2006 there was a different version of that intro. Can anyone confirm?

There used to be a video on YouTube about the intro I'm talking about. I remember it was from Hungary.

Edited by DarkLotus1111