"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

Can't we just get AI to post all our comments on this board for us? 

I imagine mine would be along the lines of: 

Tickets are far too fucking expensive, greedy bastards. Still love GNR. Best band of my lifetime. Wish they'd get off their arses. Why the fuck don't they just release the stuff rather than let it rot on the floor? I hate streaming. Release a damn CD. Really enjoyed the gig but crowd were absolutely awful. Ignore all this insider bullshit. Wow, that new merch is really shit. 

I think that would cover most of my posting on here! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

This AI thing is bullshit lol, I asked it to give me the lyrics to The General, it says it's available on the official GNR website and Spotify, here they are, obvioulsy completely a made up fictional song based entirely on the title

The General

(Verse 1) In a land of war and strife A general led his troops Through the heat of battle He never gave up hope

(Chorus) The general, the general He was a man of might He fought for what he believed in And he never backed down

(Verse 2) The enemy was strong But the general was brave He led his troops to victory And they all lived to fight another day

(Chorus) The general, the general He was a man of might He fought for what he believed in And he never backed down

(Bridge) The general is a symbol Of strength and resilience He inspires us to never give up Even in the face of adversity

(Outro) The general is gone now But his legacy lives on He is a reminder that we can all overcome If we never give up hope

:lol:

Holy shit these lyrics are gold

• ABSUЯD 1

10 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

Careful what you wish for.

From 1993-2008 the one song in the universe I wanted to hear more than anything else was This I Love.

Axl said it was the "heaviest thing he'd ever written."

I fantasized about it.  Was it gonna be like Estranged on steroids??  I even asked Axl about the song when I met him in 2002.

All those years of longing and wondering finally came to an end in November of 2008, and I heard the song for myself for the first time.....

And I almost cried.  Not out of joy.  But because the song fucking sucked.  It was a crushing letdown.  Just the most over the top, melodramatic, Andrew Lloyd Webber bullshit.  I know some people like it, and I wanted to like it, but I just can't lie to myself.  The song SUCKS.

I wish I'd never have heard it.  It was better when it only existed in my imagination.

He probably meant emotionally....

12 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

So your friend from the industry doesn’t know how to use his phone to record even a snippet of the song blasting off the speakers? :lol:

BTW, there’s no guitar riff in November Rain. 

Of all the songs to claim there's no riff similar to, he chose like the only song with no riff 🫣

Edited by colonizedmind

I'll be curious if it hits streaming services Friday. I expect it will. It makes sense it will. GnR actually makes money streaming, and that is king at the end of the day. I wouldn't be surprised though. It's a non-album B-side. Those aren't guarantees to end up online. Plus it's a little conspicuous they haven't had us pre-loading it or saving it. Usually bands and labels love any opportunity they can to get our data.

Personally, for myself. It honestly doesn't matter. If you're on this forum, you're going to find a pristine vinyl rip of it in the next few days anyways. It's not make or break. This is definitely not a song meant to win over new fans or be a chart topper. From what we've gathered over the years and knowing it has a chance to be exclusive to a 7". 

19 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Can't we just get AI to post all our comments on this board for us? 

I imagine mine would be along the lines of: 

Tickets are far too fucking expensive, greedy bastards. Still love GNR. Best band of my lifetime. Wish they'd get off their arses. Why the fuck don't they just release the stuff rather than let it rot on the floor? I hate streaming. Release a damn CD. Really enjoyed the gig but crowd were absolutely awful. Ignore all this insider bullshit. Wow, that new merch is really shit. 

I think that would cover most of my posting on here! 

You just self Terminated yourself....😝

4 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

@evader made a good point, tho. Maybe it was a typo, and he meant "no guitar riff, like November Rain".

On those phone leaks it sounded like it had riff though, didn't it?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, metalavenger99 said:

Yeah i was thinking the same, but if it's not The General we could be left wondering about it forever. :max: I loved that riff!

Yeah, and the truth is that the two snippets from Porto Alegre sound nothing like what we've heard (or think we've heard) of The General.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

At least AI stuff is funnier than posts about "it's only a B-side", "what if it's State of Grace", "maybe it doesn't have vocals at all", "you can't put more than 1234 minutes of song on vinyl", etc. looping through this thread over and over again.

Edited by Gunnerfan_rus
  • Like 1

AI:

The intense dedication and enthusiasm displayed by some fans within the Guns N' Roses community can be seen as a testament to the band's enduring impact and the deep connection fans feel toward their music. The behaviors you mentioned, such as closely monitoring Spotify titles, playing guitar alongside clips, and checking for website updates, highlight the passionate engagement and anticipation surrounding the potential release of new material. This level of dedication underscores the lasting influence and cultural significance of Guns N' Roses, as their fanbase continues to actively follow and engage with the band's creative endeavors.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

I'll be curious if it hits streaming services Friday. I expect it will. It makes sense it will. GnR actually makes money streaming, and that is king at the end of the day. I wouldn't be surprised though. It's a non-album B-side. Those aren't guarantees to end up online. Plus it's a little conspicuous they haven't had us pre-loading it or saving it. Usually bands and labels love any opportunity they can to get our data.

Personally, for myself. It honestly doesn't matter. If you're on this forum, you're going to find a pristine vinyl rip of it in the next few days anyways. It's not make or break. This is definitely not a song meant to win over new fans or be a chart topper. From what we've gathered over the years and knowing it has a chance to be exclusive to a 7". 

It would make sense and the timing would be perfect if it were released to streaming services this Fri. I mean it's Halloween weekend and the song apparently has the word "Monsters" in the title....but then again, I'm thinking too logically because you know....GNFR.

44 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, and the truth is that the two snippets from Porto Alegre sound nothing like what we've heard (or think we've heard) of The General.

Maybe Slash and Duff have changed the song significantly. We just don't know.

It wouldn't surprise me if that soundcheck actually was The General. What else would it be? Unless Slash was playing something from his upcoming solo album.

• PERHAPS 1

30 minutes ago, Stro said:

I would say that is very unlikely, considering Absurd wasn't rearranged at all from the Bumblefoot version, and none of the CD songs have been changed live other than a different intro for Better and shorter intro for CD. I'd say it is almost a certainty there is a later Hardschool version post-2000 that cut the intro and added bars for solos, and that's the version Slash and Duff worked off of.

There definitely will not be structural changes to any of the stuff Slash and Duff re-record. The Bumble version of Silkworms even had the out of time vocals in the first verse. I would almost bet the Hey Heys had been added to Hard School in 2006-2008.

Yup. I am guessing these new releases are based off of the same near- final versions from the 2006-2008 stuff. The General is probably the version that was played at that party, with the guitars and bass removed and redone by Slash and Duff. They are just replacing the multitracks, it seems. Works for me, now. 

1 minute ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I think you guys are setting up for disappointment with the digital version. There’s no proof whatsoever that it’s coming to streaming platforms. Nada.

What proof could there be? Songs just show up on streaming sites when they come out, these days. Hard Skool just appeared, all the sudden. It was out in New Zealand first. Absurd came out at 12am EST and also just appeared

6 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I think you guys are setting up for disappointment with the digital version. There’s no proof whatsoever that it’s coming to streaming platforms. Nada.

I've believed it to be physical only ever since radiorock said so in August. But the last couple of days everyone here seems convinced it's coming this Friday, so I suppose I've gotten caught up in the hype. But you're right, there's no real reason to believe it's coming out digitally. The only thing in it's favor was Fernando's cagey "perhaps" response when asked if it would be released on streaming platforms, I'd think if it was physical release only he'd have said nothing, but he's a notorious douche so...

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave
  • GNFNR 1

36 minutes ago, Stro said:

I would say that is very unlikely, considering Absurd wasn't rearranged at all from the Bumblefoot version, and none of the CD songs have been changed live other than a different intro for Better and shorter intro for CD. I'd say it is almost a certainty there is a later Hardschool version post-2000 that cut the intro and added bars for solos, and that's the version Slash and Duff worked off of.

There definitely will not be structural changes to any of the stuff Slash and Duff re-record. The Bumble version of Silkworms even had the out of time vocals in the first verse. I would almost bet the Hey Heys had been added to Hard School in 2006-2008.

I think this is spot on. All Duff and Slash have done is re-do existing parts. The songs were like that years before they did their parts, they haven't restructured anything. 

I'd love to hear Hard Skool as it existed back in 2006ish. Perhaps has probably been very similar throughout its various versions. It'd be nice to hear Bucket on it though. 

• Like 3