"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

30 minutes ago, saint_seiya_aka_buckethead said:

more info from friend in industry

song is 6:33 seconds long 

slash solo sounds out of place a bit

no chorus, no guitar riff like november rain

Is it more of an industrial type song or more of a rocker doom metal?

30 minutes ago, saint_seiya_aka_buckethead said:

So your friend from the industry doesn’t know how to use his phone to record even a snippet of the song blasting off the speakers? :lol:

BTW, there’s no guitar riff in November Rain. 

37 minutes ago, saint_seiya_aka_buckethead said:

November Rain has a guitar riff?

4 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Is it more doom- industrial or more industrial- doom?

It's metal doom (not to be confused with doom metal).  

• Haha 2

I'm not saying I buy his story, but it's perfectly within reason to me that if you have a record that's not supposed to leak under any circumstances, but you want your friend to at least hear it, you call him and play it over the phone.

If this individual really exists, he's not interested in providing the members of mygnr a clip or sample or anything like that. 

Having said that, I'll still believe it when I see it.

We'll know in a few days (hopefully less) if this guy is full of shit or not.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Do you not like any of Slash’s work? Or just the CD stuff? Because his guitar is the musical vortex of all the iconic songs. Without which there would have been no CD or Nu Guns to compare him to. 

I enjoy most of Slash's work with Guns, even on Absurd, and his second part of the solo on Hard Skool isn't bad. I enjoyed a handful of tracks from his solo stuff, and most of VR, but it seems he's incapable of coming close to that with the new Guns stuff, at least so far. I'd love to be proven wrong by future releases with the band.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, saint_seiya_aka_buckethead said:

Haha

...where do these posters come from....never seen ever anywhere hardly and then release week, suddenly, IMMA MAKE SOME POSTS ON DA GNR FANPAGE ! Where you be been this whole time homeboy? You could set up shop ages ago! Why are you saying things like you've not heard it? You already did a previous post where you claimed to have "heard it down the phone", so why aren't you using first hand language boy?

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, downzy said:

That's an interesting way to say you don't like Slash.  

I liked most of his work with old Guns, Absurd, a bit on Hard Skool, and VR and some of his older solo stuff, but it seems like he's not able to deliver these days. I would love it if I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I liked most of his work with old Guns, Absurd, a bit on Hard Skool, and VR and some of his older solo stuff, but it seems like he's not able to deliver these days. I would love it if I'm wrong. 

The problem is, this is all subjective - is there a right or wrong this case beyond personal preference?  For example I personally like Slash's Perhaps solo way more than Robin's and think he has been totally fine so far on the Chinese material live, contrary to those who call his playing just mindless noodling

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Do you not like any of Slash’s work? Or just the CD stuff? Because his guitar is the musical vortex of all the iconic songs. Without which there would have been no CD or Nu Guns to compare him to. 

It’s more about Slash then vs Slash now.

to be fair, I can understand why reworking CD era songs might be sort of uninspired work 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

It’s more about Slash then vs Slash now.

to be fair, I can understand why reworking CD era songs might be sort of uninspired work 

I know it probably will not happen but I would love to see what Slash, Richard, and Duff could write for Guns. It can’t be easy trying to interpret and rework songs written by others while still staying true to the original songs but keeping your own style. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Careful what you wish for.

From 1993-2008 the one song in the universe I wanted to hear more than anything else was This I Love.

Axl said it was the "heaviest thing he'd ever written."

I fantasized about it.  Was it gonna be like Estranged on steroids??  I even asked Axl about the song when I met him in 2002.

All those years of longing and wondering finally came to an end in November of 2008, and I heard the song for myself for the first time.....

And I almost cried.  Not out of joy.  But because the song fucking sucked.  It was a crushing letdown.  Just the most over the top, melodramatic, Andrew Lloyd Webber bullshit.  I know some people like it, and I wanted to like it, but I just can't lie to myself.  The song SUCKS.

I wish I'd never have heard it.  It was better when it only existed in my imagination.

Man that must have sucked so bad dude. I always figured it was going to be an emotional piano ballad in the same vein as November Rain and Estranged. I did not expect it to be Axl does Broadway. That being said I don’t hate it. I think the harp is a really interesting element for a Guns song and Robin’s solo is fantastic. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

I don't "hate" it, but it was such a colossal letdown I'll never really "love" it.

I'm perfectly aware a lot of people DO love it....I'm not starting an argument or anything.

Just built it up so much in my mind all those years, and it was just........ugh.

Two questions one for you and one for everyone else-

1. Do you like the Brain Remix any better than the CD version?

2. Are we 100% sure that vocal take on the Remix is not from 1993? Most people assume it was from around 2010 during Axl’s vocal resurgence. But it sounds much more like Early 90s Axl to my ears. 

Edited by Arnuld

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

So your friend from the industry doesn’t know how to use his phone to record even a snippet of the song blasting off the speakers? :lol:

BTW, there’s no guitar riff in November Rain. 

Something tells me that Seiya was just missing a comma or a dash,  and probably meant to imply something like:

"no chorus, no guitar riff.....kinda like november rain "

If I'm wrong, don't shoot me. Not til next week anyway.

• GNFNR 2
  • PERHAPS 1

I think the original and the remix are about the same as far as how much I enjoy it.  It's just not a good song.

Hearing it again with raspier vocals was a novelty, though.

I do find it almost impossible to believe that he re-recorded the entire song around 2010 or so, cause that's so out of character.  But it's also hard to believe they'd have the 1993 vocals all ready to go and have them match up with the new backing tracks.

Just another of the many unsolved mysteries in the GNR world.