The Rolling Stones- Hackney Diamonds

ZoSoRose

8 hours ago, The Dissident said:

I'm personally hoping for Lucky Dip, got 2 sets for the 2020 show. Quite happy to see them returning, likely will be my only time seeing them.

Lucky Dip is the only way to go for me nowadays. Cheap way to see them, and honestly I get good seats far more often than bad seats. 

8 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

No Detroit :(

Cleveland isn’t that far and it’s a Saturday ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Lucky Dip is the only way to go for me nowadays. Cheap way to see them, and honestly I get good seats far more often than bad seats. 

Cleveland isn’t that far and it’s a Saturday ;) 

That is tempting! I have seen them 3- times, already, but I would love to hear HD songs live

• Thanks 1

It’s a killer album.

Its a little like the classic albums were pulled through a Britpop type of sound filter. It’s got energy and the songs flow nicely together. What I wasn’t expecting were songs like Dreamy Skies which could have been on Beggars, Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers.  Or a song like Sweet Sounds of Heaven that could have been on the last side of Exile. For them to create material of this Quality sounding this urgent and fresh at their age is an amazing feat. I didn’t expect this album to be a classic Stones album right  up there with the 60s & 70s albums. Kudos to Jagger for that in large part. 

Im really looking forward to hearing some of these tunes live. 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since we're doing a love fest, I really want to join in. This is their best album since Some Girls for me. And that means it's their best in 45 years. Let that sink in. That's a longer period than many bands even existed. I actually went back through their discography album for album to see which one would top this for me. These guys are in their 70's and 80's and have had a 60+ year career. This is not only more than anybody could realistically expect from the Rolling Stones, but this is more than most Stones fans could hope for. There are a ton of homages to their past, every Stones trope they've used during their career and it's still a very fresh sounding album. The energy, the flow, it's just really great. Sweet Sounds Of Heaven is the top song and instant love. It holds up even compared to their absolute peak from the late 60's and early 70's. This is the kind of song nobody could have expected they had left in them. But the rest of the album is quality accross the board as well without a single dud in there (for me at least). Some were instant love, some were growers, but damn they're good! I'm insanely happy about this album. 

• Like 3

Im trying to make sense of a top 10 of sorts. But it's impossible. 

Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St. and Some Girls are still (in no particular order) my top 5. 

The other half of my top 10 definitely has Hackney Diamonds in it. As well as Aftermath (UK), Out Of Our Heads (UK) and Goats Head Soup. But I can;'t decide in what order because they're so different. 

And I still have no idea what my #10 would be. Probably either Tatoo You, Steel Wheels or It's Only Rock And Roll. 

• Confused 1

A top 10 is definitely a tough one. If I had to try and do a list myself:

1. Sticky Fingers
2. Some Girls
3. Let It Bleed
4. Exile On Main St
5. Beggars Banquet
6. Out Of Our Heads (US)
7. Tattoo You
8. Hackney Diamonds
9. Steel Wheels
10. Aftermath (US)

The second half of the list is much harder than the first half. 

• Like 1

On another note - got my Lucky Dip tickets for Cleveland without a hitch this morning. I’ll pick up tickets last minute for East Rutherford 2 close to the show date - have an odd number of people going to that one so LD doesn’t work. Here’s to hoping for another pit next year :D 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, username said:

Very excited about the deluxe release tomorrow! I'm still not sure whether I'll buy it, because I've already bought the album twice (on vinyl and on cd). I suppose I'll give it a spin first.  

Oh god, another version? What is on it? Vinyl?

6 hours ago, username said:

Very excited about the deluxe release tomorrow! I'm still not sure whether I'll buy it, because I've already bought the album twice (on vinyl and on cd). I suppose I'll give it a spin first.  

Oh god, another version? What is on it? Vinyl?

5 minutes ago, username said:

It's a cd (maybe also vinyl?) with a bonus disc of the live show with gaga guesting. I think 7 or 8 songs? Which was the entire show. 

Oh yeah, I will pass on the CD but that is pretty cool. You know there will be a big Hackney Diamonds live album and video, eventually

• Like 1