The Rolling Stones- Hackney Diamonds

ZoSoRose

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 6:38 PM, Powerage5 said:

I cannot get Depending On You out of my head. What a goddamn fantastic song, best Stones ballad since I don't even know when. 

Best Stones ballad since Dreamy Skies  :lol:

Depending On You was an early ear worm for me. Great Track. 

2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Best Stones ballad since Dreamy Skies  :lol:

Depending On You was an early ear worm for me. Great Track. 

Dreamy Skies is one of the only tracks on the album that hasn't grabbed me at all :book:

• 2 weeks later...

I really like half of it, but I could do without the rest.

✔️Angry
✔️Get Close
✔️Depending On You
Bite My Head Off
✔️Whole Wide World
✔️Dreamy Skies
Mess It Up
Live by the Sword
Driving Me Too Hard
Tell Me Straight
✔️Sweet Sounds of Heaven
Rolling Stone Blues

I pretty much just listen to those 6 songs now.

And I strongly disagree with all this talk about how it's the best album in decades or since Some Girls or Tattoo You. Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang are excellent albums. I would put Hackney Diamonds about level with Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge, as in fine albums overall with some highlights.

On 1/17/2024 at 3:14 AM, GivenToFly said:

I really like half of it, but I could do without the rest.

✔️Angry
✔️Get Close
✔️Depending On You
Bite My Head Off
✔️Whole Wide World
✔️Dreamy Skies
Mess It Up
Live by the Sword
Driving Me Too Hard
Tell Me Straight
✔️Sweet Sounds of Heaven
Rolling Stone Blues

I pretty much just listen to those 6 songs now.

And I strongly disagree with all this talk about how it's the best album in decades or since Some Girls or Tattoo You. Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang are excellent albums. I would put Hackney Diamonds about level with Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge, as in fine albums overall with some highlights.

I really don’t know if it matters but I only bought a copy on vinyl and the way the album flows makes me not dislike any of the songs. I like some better than others but none piss me off to the point where I’m skipping the needle. Even though I liked a lot of the stuff off Steel Wheels, Bridges, A Bigger Bang I did skip tracks on those albums and found some too long (B2B) So for me this is the “best” Stones album since Some Girls, that’s the last Stones album I can listen to and not skip tracks. 

No love for Muddys Rollin Stone cover?!? 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

I really don’t know if it matters but I only bought a copy on vinyl and the way the album flows makes me not dislike any of the songs. I like some better than others but none piss me off to the point where I’m skipping the needle. Even though I liked some of the stuff of Steel Wheels, Bridges, A Bigger Bang I did skip tracks on those albums. So for me this is the “best” Stones album since Some Girls, that’s the last Stones album I can listen to and not skip tracks. 

yes, I really like the Rolling Stone cover and also I agree that this album flows so well and I still enjoy all the tracks on the album, I don't skip any. 

can't say enough good things about Mick making this happen. it makes me think that The Stones could have released a lot more great albums between A Bigger Bang and Hackney Diamonds. maybe they didn't feel like there was a point cause after A Bigger Bang albums didn't sell as much anymore and they already had an impressive catalog and the money making machine which is the tours.

I'm glad Mick used his free time to turn his focus to something that I feel really added to their catalog, so late in their careers. never underestimate The Stones.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GivenToFly said:

✔️Angry
✔️Get Close
✔️Depending On You
Bite My Head Off
✔️Whole Wide World
✔️Dreamy Skies
Mess It Up
Live by the Sword
Driving Me Too Hard
Tell Me Straight
✔️Sweet Sounds of Heaven
Rolling Stone Blues

Kind of surprised! I consider Driving Me Too Hard and Tell Me Straight among the weaker songs on the album (by which I don't mean that they're weak at all, I still really like them), but it surprises me that a lot of people point out Live By The Sword as a weaker song. That one really grew on me a lot and by now it's one of the most likely songs I put on for a short car ride. 

I really don’t know if it matters but I only bought a copy on vinyl and the way the album flows makes me not dislike any of the songs.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

yes, I really like the Rolling Stone cover and also I agree that this album flows so well and I still enjoy all the tracks on the album, I don't skip any. 

This goes for me as well. This album flows magnificently. And where Voodoo Lounge and Bridges tend to feel long as albums (a common problem with 90's albums imo, as a lot of artists felt they should utilize the new playtime CD's brought), Hackney doesn't suffer from this at all. It's compact and never gets tedious. When I heard the Stones have a lot more tracks recorded for this, I'm really happy that they dared to make choices, instead of putting as much on there as possible. A ton of artists forget that when making an album. 

Also this. The Stones playing the blues is my ultimate kryptonite. I was ridiculously happy with Blue And Lonesome as an album. I rate it lower as this because it's a cover album. But the Stones playing blues gives me so much joy. I'll never get bored of it. And doing it to end an album of this caliber was a great move. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, username said:

Also this. The Stones playing the blues is my ultimate kryptonite. I was ridiculously happy with Blue And Lonesome as an album. I rate it lower as this because it's a cover album. But the Stones playing blues gives me so much joy. I'll never get bored of it. And doing it to end an album of this caliber was a great move. 

It almost feels full circle. If they play Rollin Stone live on this tour I’ll wet myself just like a girl in 1962.

Blue & Lonesome was killer and a nice take on some of those classics. It would be great if we got another album from them like it. They could knock one out in their sleep. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 9:27 AM, username said:

Kind of surprised! I consider Driving Me Too Hard and Tell Me Straight among the weaker songs on the album (by which I don't mean that they're weak at all, I still really like them), but it surprises me that a lot of people point out Live By The Sword as a weaker song. That one really grew on me a lot and by now it's one of the most likely songs I put on for a short car ride. 

This goes for me as well. This album flows magnificently. And where Voodoo Lounge and Bridges tend to feel long as albums (a common problem with 90's albums imo, as a lot of artists felt they should utilize the new playtime CD's brought), Hackney doesn't suffer from this at all. It's compact and never gets tedious. When I heard the Stones have a lot more tracks recorded for this, I'm really happy that they dared to make choices, instead of putting as much on there as possible. A ton of artists forget that when making an album. 

Live By The Sword was an immediate highlight for me when I first heard the album and still is. Great song, which would've sounded great on UYI1.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 11:55 AM, Towelie said:

Live By The Sword was an immediate highlight for me when I first heard the album and still is. Great song, which would've sounded great on UYI1.

Yeah, it's a cool tune. I can hear the UYI interpretation in my head. Piano, some slide guitar, Axl using different voices...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Honestly, there is not a single song I don't enjoy on this record- especially when they are listened to as a whole!

I agree. This is definitely one of those albums where the stronger songs lift up the weaker ones. And in this case "weaker" is very much a relative term as there isn't a single dud in there. Great run order. This is how albums should work. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

(It didn't) :lol:

this album is on a different level I think. these band members are 80 years old. it demonstrates perfectly the talent and ability of The Stones. 

they're out of shit to say only when they're not breathing anymore. this album at this stage of their career is just incredible tbh.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

Whole Wide World is still my favorite track, but it’s an album chalked full of bangers for me.

It rocks live, too. I am definitely picking up that live album they are putting out for Record Store Day. It is the Hackney Diamonds release show. Short, kick- ass set and WWW is a highlight

• Like 2

Just now, ZoSoRose said:

It rocks live, too. I am definitely picking up that live album they are putting out for Record Store Day. It is the Hackney Diamonds release show. Short, kick- ass set and WWW is a highlight

It’s amazing. It’s been said so many time but this album has no right to be as good as it is. Wasn’t expecting them to even make good on the new album rumors let alone that it would be one of their best. Amazing. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Nick85 said:

It’s amazing. It’s been said so many time but this album has no right to be as good as it is. Wasn’t expecting them to even make good on the new album rumors let alone that it would be one of their best. Amazing. 

and they still have CD ll leftovers from the Hackney Diamonds sessions that didn't make the cut. I'd bet there's a few good ones there as well. I hope that they will release it as soon as possible, this is exactly the album they should have made and I hope they know fans would love to hear the extra tracks soon.

• Like 1

Just now, Rovim said:

and they still have CD ll leftovers from the Hackney Diamonds sessions that didn't make the cut. I'd bet there's a few good ones there as well. I hope that they will release it as soon as possible, this is exactly the album they should have made and I hope they know fans would love to hear the extra tracks soon.

Luckily the Stones are a band that love putting out stuff just like that. Maybe a little something something will drop before the upcoming tour. At least another video, hoping for Whole Wide World.

1 minute ago, Nick85 said:

Luckily the Stones are a band that love putting out stuff just like that. Maybe a little something something will drop before the upcoming tour. At least another video, hoping for Whole Wide World.

I think another music video will happen. the extra tracks should be released in the next few years imo

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

That's already out on cd as Hackney Diamonds Deluxe. Or is the RSD release a vinyl?