The Rolling Stones- Hackney Diamonds

ZoSoRose

After a few listens I still think it’s a really strong album, especially for a band at this stage in their career. I’m more of a Keith fan, so i‘d loved some more iconic Keith open g intro riffs and songs, but you can hear that mick had a bigger impact on the songs. 

Favorites atm: Sweet Sounds, Driving Me too hard, Angry, Mess it up

Less favorites: Tell me straight (hoped for an uptempo Keith song), Live by the sword. But there’s really no bad songs on the album 

Rolling Stone Blues is a great song for the album closer, just Keith and Mick playing some blues, full circle moment

If that’s gonna be their last album they went out with a bang

Edited by SAU3R

Finally got around to spinning the album - it’s very, very solid. The Stones are such a hard band to make comparisons, they’ve released some of the most iconic albums ever, in the purest sense of looking at an album as a full work of art. At the other end of the spectrum they’ve released some real crap, especially since Tattoo You (That said every album has at least a few standout tracks). This album definitely falls in the good/great area for me. The production is modern but still has the Stones’ DNA all over it. The songs are mostly really good (Though a few fall short for me). It’s an album that knows what it’s going for, and delivers in that front. Steve Jordan is killing it on drums as he has been in the live shows, and it’s nice to have Charlie on a few songs as a proper send off. 

The standout tracks to me are Angry, Depending On You, Bite My Head Off, Tell Me Straight, and Sweet Sounds Of Heaven. The weakest songs for me are Dreamy Skies (Feels too much like an imitation of earlier country-tinged Stones songs), and Live By The Sword (This one pains me since it’s got Charlie and Bill Wyman on it, but I just am not digging it). 

• Like 3

On 10/21/2023 at 2:14 PM, jimisbatman said:

This could be considered scaralige, unsure about word, but Paul + Ringo teaming up with others and playing  Beatles is a silly idea. 50% of team dead, who cares what other bands reform, they're not TB, and as Bono says, they're unworthy to touch the hem of their garments. It would water down/cheapen the myth/mystic/legend. But your right, it'll never happen. 

It would still be The Stones...  Or it could be called something else.

People take this stuff way too seriously.  Why not have the two biggest bands of all time unite and play songs that everyone loves?  If it's not your thing, don't attend.  I'd go.  I'm sure many others would.  

Not sure quoting Bono is helping your argument.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, username said:

This is a Dutch punk song from 2011:

This is Bite My Head Off: 

I can't imagine the Stones even knowing this band, but the opening chords are still a very striking comparison. :D 

Yeah, very similar.  Likely accidental, similar to Anybody Seen My Baby and Constant Cravings.

Either way, both songs sound like The Stooges.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, username said:

This is a Dutch punk song from 2011:

This is Bite My Head Off: 

I can't imagine the Stones even knowing this band, but the opening chords are still a very striking comparison. :D 

Yeah, it's a very simple riff, nothing too special. Most likely a coincidence. There must be a thousand similar-sounding riffs.

19 hours ago, downzy said:

It would still be The Stones...  Or it could be called something else.

People take this stuff way too seriously.  Why not have the two biggest bands of all time unite and play songs that everyone loves?  If it's not your thing, don't attend.  I'd go.  I'm sure many others would.  

Not sure quoting Bono is helping your argument.  

Lol, that is so good about Bono and I agree with that.

Different strokes for different folks I guess about re_combining 2 of worlds most influential bands music. 

Just re_read my message and was very opinionated almost boardering on angry, not my intention. Should have reread before sending. 

It's the most consistently good album since Some Girls ( in my opinion). This is a great rock n roll album and if it's their last one they've gone out with a snarl. Anyone who's ever cracked a steel wheelchairs joke can suck it. This is a solid release and they're 80 years old. 80 fucking years old!.

Let's see what you're doing at 80.

I'm very proud of them.

Edited by Zint
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, Zint said:

It's the most consistently good album since Some Girls ( in my opinion). This is a great rock n roll album and if it's their last one they've gone out with a snarl. Anyone who's ever cracked a steel wheelchairs joke can suck it. This is a solid release and they're 80 years old. 80 fucking years old!.

Let's see what you're doing at 80.

I'm very proud of them.

Despite the fact that I do really enjoy Steel Wheels, there’s some definite duds on that one to balance out against 2/3 of an album that’s very strong IMO. If we’re talking strictly about consistency, I think I’d agree it’s the most consistent since Some Girls. Definitely at least Tattoo You. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SAU3R said:

According to iorr.org the Stones will tour NA next year from April 24 to July 17. Tour start will be Houston, last date will be Levi Stadium. Announcement within the next 8 days

If that's happening, my money is on Europe around September/October. Which, ironically, will cost me a lot of money if they do. 

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2023 at 8:49 PM, The Dissident said:

Hopefully they hit Vancouver, we got cancelled due to covid and weren't rescheduled.

July 5 :headbang:

I signed up for the fan pre-sale thing... does that mean I'll get a code, or is it a lottery kind of thing like Taylor Swift does? Would I be better off waiting for Lucky Dip tickets?

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

July 5 :headbang:

I signed up for the fan pre-sale thing... does that mean I'll get a code, or is it a lottery kind of thing like Taylor Swift does? Would I be better off waiting for Lucky Dip tickets?

I'm personally hoping for Lucky Dip, got 2 sets for the 2020 show. Quite happy to see them returning, likely will be my only time seeing them.

• GNFNR 1