THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

3 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

Official release pushed to early December by the band who announced they weren’t happy with quality of the records but are now. Debates over whether the leaks are demos or the finished things with Slash & Duff, just bad sound quality. Debates over the extent of Slash’s playing on the song with some arguing he isn’t on the leaks at all. Debates over whether both ‘Monsters’ and ‘The General’ will be released as one song or not. Debates about whether ‘Monsters’ is Monstrocity or Soul Monster or another renamed song. Debates about whether Axl has some scratch vocals on these. People who hate the songs implying people who like the songs are insane - arguments between the two camps. People saying that people who hear Slash on the leaks are nuts and vice versa. Speculation but nothing confirmed about who leaked the tracks or why. Some think the band did it secretly. Others think they’re nuts. Some wishing the band would go back to a more bluesy Slash style, including me. 

Guns N’ Fucking Roses Forum 🌹

Oh I forgot, someone asked where Pele is shortly after they leaked which was pretty funny 

4 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

Official release pushed to early December by the band who announced they weren’t happy with quality of the records but are now. Debates over whether the leaks are demos or the finished things with Slash & Duff, just bad sound quality. Debates over the extent of Slash’s playing on the song with some arguing he isn’t on the leaks at all. Debates over whether both ‘Monsters’ and ‘The General’ will be released as one song or not. Debates about whether ‘Monsters’ is Monstrocity or Soul Monster or another renamed song. Debates about whether Axl has some scratch vocals on these. People who hate the songs implying people who like the songs are insane - arguments between the two camps. People saying that people who hear Slash on the leaks are nuts and vice versa. Speculation but nothing confirmed about who leaked the tracks or why. Some think the band did it secretly. Others think they’re nuts. Some wishing the band would go back to a more bluesy Slash style, including me. 

Guns N’ Fucking Roses Forum 🌹

oh i missed the speculation on who leaked it,Whats “The General” consensus who leaked it😂?

Edited by Wabby

16 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

That would indeed be interesting just to see what they've changed and what they kept. I haven't heard the phone recording. I assume the lead guitar melody is completely different, isn't it?

Yes, I can’t tell if it’s Robin or Bucket.

2 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

Everyone has been so pleased with the new songs. It has united both fans of Chinese and fans of the class lineup. The band is also delighted that the fans get to hear the songs and everyone accepted their apology regarding the delayed release.

There has been a harmony on the forum that has not been seen for many a year.

Basically “The General” is the song the Wyld Stallions were attempting to write in the Bill and Ted movies 

Plot twist...Just saw that Ashba has confirmed on Ashbagram that he played the outro solo on The General. 🤯

Fancied moonlighting as a troll for a New York minute.

Edited by colonizedmind
  • ABSUЯD 2

4 minutes ago, Rodela said:

Guys, THE GENERAL is really bad, isn't it?

I think it's pretty cool. Good chorus, good outro, and bold of Axl to attempt to release such a song with this subject matter/lyrics, even if it took him 20 years to almost release it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodela said:

But a full-band studio version of it won't save its poor lyrics, boring chords, and overall average structure. It's up there with GNR's most forgettable songs ever.

The chorus could be epic with chainsaw rasp. And some the verses could be improved with that too I think.

• Like 1

But a full-band studio version of it won't save its poor lyrics, boring chords, and overall average structure. It's up there with GNR's most forgettable songs ever.

i know man ... those lyrics are..... the breakdown at the end of the song before the last chorus is the only goo part. the intro is cool too. 

To each their own, I love it. Chorus has been stuck in my head since Friday. Love the little slide guitar riff and dark theme. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Been offline doing things in the real world, as mad as that sounds and lost track of all this. 

Can anyone sum up what's gone on since the very first leaks of General and Monsters last Friday? 

And telling about a frog sound in The General or something like that, I didn´t heard it, can´t find it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rodela said:

I like it, I like the heavy chorus parts and the bridge section that is actually kind of reminiscent to me of like Massive Attack/90s trip-hop. 

I don't know if I would consider it like the best GNR singular song ever or anything, but its creepy and cool and goes really well paired with Monsters

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rodela said:

At first listen, I was like "wtf is this?". But now, it's grown on me a lot after I got past all the vocal effects and I feel it's one of the better songs from their recent releases. 

I enjoyed Monsters from the start though and it's definitely the better one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coma16 said:

Twas hardly the worst. Remember that T&A thread that kept the forum alive?

No.

I was a once in a blue moon lurker of newgnr. It was a chore reading it. That forum was the birth of GNR shit posting.

Too many trolls, too many morons, and it got even worse when a bunch of teens flocked to the forums in 2006. The worst of the bunch landed there for some reason.

I wasn't surprised when it finally died.