THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

6 hours ago, DSTK said:

None at all dude...aren't you seeing one dumb question, one after the other on here too though ? Nearing stupid levels of comments that usually pop up on reddit 

What I replied there was common sense, not a shot at someone, & as you had nothing to do with any of it...I struggle to see how it's any of your business dude? 

You telling me to tone it down won't work kid, you seem to be never wrong & everyone else always is ...just enjoy the music or shut the fuck up for god sake 

Way to prove my point.

57 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Thanks so much @AtlasShrugged @axljungle and @THELINESMAN

Appreciate it a lot.....102 pages would be a lot to trawl through! 

For what it's worth, I definitely hear Slash on Monsters. 

Oh, has there been any reaction at all from band/management, or the usual radio silence? 

Radio silence. There has been a show since but no mention of the leaks. We’ll see what happens at Hollywood show tonight!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

CD.com was where it was at. With L!VE FREE, one of the hoarder kings. @Brodie may he RIP. He would be upset to see Bucket's parts re-recorded on Soul Monster. He had more than one version, I believe, one was labeled Leave Me Alone. 

Could you explain who that Brodie guy was? To those of us who weren't around?

1 hour ago, Rodela said:

Guys, THE GENERAL is really bad, isn't it?

It’s a “grower”, after a few more listens it gets better. I do hope though they tidy up the vocals as they aren’t clear enough in the mix and the distortion effect just doesn’t sound very good

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Oh, has there been any reaction at all from band/management, or the usual radio silence? 

Is Slash and is one song, formed by two original songs, but it was registrered as one song with the two titles.

There are a lot of theories around this songs, but have nonsense, for me the interesting is about if it's the final mixture or not. I hope not, because is too loud as Hard Skool, not similar to Perhaps.

• Like 2

Radio silence about the leaks, however the explanation from Fernando on Reddit and the subsequent apology about the delay by the band accounts on social media were after they knew that the songs had leaked.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

I was a once in a blue moon lurker of newgnr. It was a chore reading it. That forum was the birth of GNR shit post.

19 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

CD.com was where it was at.

Pardon the little off topic, but these posts triggered memories: before mygnr I used to post on gnrsource, which was a small but lovely forum. Was anyone else on there under different names? Some gnrsource users like @Mango or @FuddMckagan were also here on mygnr, but haven't seen any of them posting in a long time. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 1:57 AM, jacdaniel said:

I have to give my honest opinion on these songs. After plenty of listens, I still feel meh about them. I'm not sure they'll ever be played live as they'd be a real set/mood killer. 

I think I find it hard as the songs are both 100% Axl solo songs featuring Slash and Duff.  Like all CD era songs, they aren't really guitar driven. No big riffs or anything like that.  

I think it's time for me to accept the fact that this band is no longer for me creatively unless they're willing to write an album together. 

Yeah I agree. Slash did some cool parts on them but they sound way more like "Axl songs" than "GnR songs" if you get what I mean. It's interesting to listen to but I wouldn't be playing them over and over the way that I did Absurd and HS (and still do).

On 10/31/2023 at 6:53 AM, THELINESMAN said:

When are we going to get Slash to write a new riff and have Axl sing to it? That'll be good. 

Ugh right? That would be a big deal but I think they missed their chance to capitalize on that.

• Like 1

Silence is (not) golden.....it wins lots of prizes in house GNR though....

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sonic Reducer said:

I like Monsters a lot more than the other one for sure. TBH I was hoping with the return of Slash we would be moving to a more bluesy direction, away from CD which was a good record but I'd rather it be a one-time experiment.

But this isn't a new song written collaboratively, it's a CD track with Slash overdubs just like Hardskool etc. 

At present there is no info appertaining to a brand new songwriting experience with Axl,Slash etc. We all hope this may happen one day but it isn't on the radar at present. 

5 hours ago, Coma16 said:

I can see that. We get Monsters as "The General (and Monsters)". Had The General (demo) not leaked we would have never known about it. Interesting theory.

Through about this as well, but it would dbe such a shame to lose the "currently known as The General" chorus forever. It has an "In Bloom" kind of potential of the vocals get cleaned/cleared up.

Anyone know who gets the writing credits for these songs?

it seems odd (to me anyway) that slash and Duff are credited for “perhaps” when it was an already fully formed song.

I don’t believe Duff and Slash got writing credits for “hardskool”?

so why did they get it for perhaps?

Ok so I’ve listened to both tracks probably around 50 times since Friday. I’m now of the firm belief that Monsters is in fact the much fabled Soul Monster. Axl isn’t singing ‘oh, but it’s over now’ during the choruses; it’s actually ‘oh, but its soul burns out.’ This coupled with the monsters in the song lyrics and, well…you get the picture.

I also think that the band decided to release Soul Monster because of the cellphone clip from the Vienna aftershow party. We all thought that was The General. Can you imagine if only The General was released? Don’t get me wrong - I love the track. But, fans would have been like…WTF, this isn’t what we were expecting/hoping for. Of course, the natural conclusion is that the cellphone clip was actually Soul Monster and not The General.

Kudos to GnR for doing this.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

it seems odd (to me anyway) that slash and Duff are credited for “perhaps” when it was an already fully formed song.

Slash and Duff have got credits for all the songs released by the NITL lineup, including these. Just read the link in my signature - or if you're on your phone and can't see signatures, click here (it's a long post, so if you're only interested in the credits for the new songs, scroll down to the end) and also here for more details about the credits for The General and Monsters..

Edited by Blackstar

3 hours ago, Rodela said:

But a full-band studio version of it won't save its poor lyrics, boring chords, and overall average structure. It's up there with GNR's most forgettable songs ever.

I would love to hear your brilliant  songs, with structures that would blown away everybody in this forum. 

Where are your amazing lyrics, complex structures and fun chords?? 

Got a link?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

It may just be some kind of legal or contractual agreement that Slash and Duff would get writing credits on any music released going forward.

2 hours ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

Could you explain who that Brodie guy was? To those of us who weren't around?

Brodie was believed to be the name of the popular mod L!VE FREE from the now gone CD.com forum, he was a regular poster who allegedly had a lot of unreleased Guns material.  It is said MSL obtained Shackler's from him. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Oh, my god. Here is the proof folks. I thought because we hadn’t heard prior versions of these songs with Finck or Bucket, people would STFU about how the originals were “much better” and how Slash “ruined” the songs. But we’re really gonna have comments from folks who will praise the cell phone leak over what we’ve now heard. The cell phone leak where you can barely make out fuck-all.

My friend and I joked that people would say they liked the cell phone clip more. Here we are :lol:

• Haha 2