Writing credits and publishing shares for GN'R songs

Thanks for putting this all together!

I guess part of the lawsuit settlement with pitman must’ve involved paying him a fixed fee in exchange for removing his name from any songwriting credits. Either that or he only ever wrote the old song intro, which was removed long before he even got fired anyways.

I guess this means Slash and Duff will be getting royalties for songs they didn’t even help write. Oh, well. Whatever keeps the ship floating, I suppose!

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Thanks for putting this all together!

I guess part of the lawsuit settlement with pitman must’ve involved paying him a fixed fee in exchange for removing his name from any songwriting credits. Either that or he only ever wrote the old song intro, which was removed long before he even got fired anyways.

I guess this means Slash and Duff will be getting royalties for songs they didn’t even help write. Oh, well. Whatever keeps the ship floating, I suppose!

Slash and Duff (and Steven) got royalties for songs written by Hollywood Rose and songs that were written by Izzy and or Axl - and Axl got royalties for Dust N' Bones, although he doesn't have a writing credit for it in the liner notes. So this isn't as strange, new or unique as it may seem. That was the band's policy for AFD, Lies and UYI. Only on CD the ones who get royalties are the actual writers as they appear by name in the liner notes.

What remains to be seen is if the Pitman case on Absurd is indicative of whether any former members (and which) will be listed as writers/royalty recipients on the "new" songs. If only current members are listed (and maybe Brain and Paul Tobias), it will mean that either there's been an arrangement for former members to get a fixed amount or that Axl controls the rights of the CD era songs and doesn't have to give credits. In this case the worst part is that we'll never know who wrote what unless they tell us - so we may never know if Hardschool is from 1996 and we'll keep on speculating for ever.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

@Blackstar this is some very precious piece of info! Thanks a lot for the big effort with crosschecking etc. Maybe you have already looked into this, but any chance there are no info for Scraped because it is actually registered as Lies They Tell?

Also, I see the songs from the West Arkeen tape are listed even if never officially released (except, of course, for the songs that ended up on UYI and for Crash Diet released by Asphalt Ballet and Wildside). Wonder if other non officially released stuff is registered as well, but I assume you looked into every credit linked to Axl and everyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinaleblood said:

@Blackstar this is some very precious piece of info! Thanks a lot for the big effort with crosschecking etc. Maybe you have already looked into this, but any chance there are no info for Scraped because it is actually registered as Lies They Tell?

Also, I see the songs from the West Arkeen tape are listed even if never officially released (except, of course, for the songs that ended up on UYI and for Crash Diet released by Asphalt Ballet and Wildside). Wonder if other non officially released stuff is registered as well, but I assume you looked into every credit linked to Axl and everyone else.

SESAC has Sraped and lists the writers (the same ones that are in the album liner notes), but doesn't give information on shares. I couldn't find it on ASCAP - I looked for it as Lies They Tell, too, and I also looked at all Buckethead's and Brain credits that are listed there.

About the West Arkeen songs, maybe his estate registered them when that tape was sold.

Yes, I looked for unreleased songs, too (believe it or not, there are a few songs/works titled "Hard Skool" or "Hard School," but none is "our" song :))

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Wow great work! Amazing how involved the band was for, what many incorrectly consider as Axls solo album, Chinese Democracy 

Thanks!

We already knew from the liner notes (and from leaks, interviews etc.) that the members contributed in the songwriting. I don't think that's a decisive factor on whether it was a band or solo project, though. But that's a whole different discussion, and a very tired one, as well - since Axl considered it (or wanted it to be considered) a band, so be it, case closed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I always wanted to know what Slash's contribution was regarding the songwriting of Dust N Bones.

But (unfortunately) the PRO's data about the percentages for UYI don't represent who wrote what on each song. The information they give (with the help of what Slash wrote about it in his book) is the method they used to split the publishing royalties, which is also very interesting. They first determined the credits that we see in the albums' liner notes (=who were the writers on each song and what were their contributions, e.g. Coma might have been Axl and Slash 50% each, Axl wrote 100% of November Rain, Izzy wrote 100% of You Ain't The First, Dust N' Bones might have been something like 50-30-20 for Izzy, Slash and Duff, and so on). Then they calculated all that together and determined each one's share on the album as a whole (at least for the songs that didn't have outside writers), so Izzy's total share on the album was a percentage around 24.5%, Slash's and Duff's combined total share was 47.68% and Axl's 27-28%. And then they applied those shares to each song. So, as a result, they have shares on all songs, and when, for example, November Rain gets played on the radio or streamed, they all get their share of royalties for it. The only cases on UYI where the percentages may represent, at least partly, each one's contributions, are the songs with outside writers, like Yesterdays, etc.

The other case where the percentages partly represent who contributed what is CD, because they were calculated for each song separately. The same method seems to have been used for splitting the publishing on Snakepit 1 (I've looked at solo projects and VR, too - I'll post this information sometime later).

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 4:52 PM, Twinaleblood said:

I realised that BMI (which collects royalties for Buckethead, Brain, Josh Freese and Caram) has its own separate site that gives more information about its own repertory than the combined ASCAP/BMI database. I found Scraped there: it's 52% Axl and 48% Buckethead and Caram. I have updated the OP (I have also updated the information for Chinese Democracy title track and Shackler's Revenge).

• Like 2