THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

I noticed that in the Canadian database I Don't Care About You from TSI is registered twice: on its own and together with Look At Your Game, Girl as a "medley" (I haven't seen such registration in other databases).

"The General and Monsters", though, is not registered as a medley.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

To me all the new songs prior to the General have been a huge "meh". But The General really got me excited the first time since CD (as for new GnR music)

I think it is fantastic and keeps growing and growing on me, always a good sign of quality. It is also ways better than many songs on CD - so all and all it stands its ground. Didn't Tommy Stinson say that the General is the best song not released somewhere after CD, and at least at this stage this seems spot on - ways better than anything else. 

I like the song on multiple layers, but sound wise this is the best one yet too - by far. I have a bit of a problem with Axls vocal sound on many songs as it sounds too computery and layerd', but here everything blends very well.

Oh and I dig Monsters too, not as great as the General but the third best of the new songs to me, after General and Hard Skoolio.

And now we wait for Atlas Shrugged - what's next Cock-A-Roach Soup?

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Found it on CMRRA (Canadian music rights database). Note that it mentions mechanical licensing, which is for physical copies. This registration seems also to have been submitted from Axl's end (Black Frog) though, like the SESAC registration. The writing credits are the same as on SESAC.

the_ge11.jpg

https://cmrradirect.cmrra.ca/WorkRegistration/ViewWork.aspx?workCode=105047175

Good work! Let's hope that Monsters is indeed still on the vinyl as a hidden track. (then released digitally) 

• Like 3

It's been said a lot, but if they're planning on putting both General and Monsters on one side of a 7" then they must be mad. 

It's been rejected once because of dreadful sound quality, which may well be because they tried to put them both on. 

They won't have any success a second time either with the sound, unless they leave Monsters off! 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

It's been said a lot, but if they're planning on putting both General and Monsters on one side of a 7" then they must be mad. 

It's been rejected once because of dreadful sound quality, which may well be because they tried to put them both on. 

They won't have any success a second time either with the sound, unless they leave Monsters off! 

But didn't Fernando say that they were happy with the updated 7"?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

But didn't Fernando say that they were happy with the updated 7"?

Can't actually remember but I presume they would be if they're releasing it? 

It's a strange one. If they put both on, it'll be crap. Perhaps they're settling for 'crap' rather than 'very crap'? 

I don't really understand why they're doing it when production of a 12" or a CD would remove the problem and we'd be able to buy it in decent quality. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I noticed that in the Canadian database I Don't Care About You from TSI is registered twice: on its own and together with Look At Your Game, Girl as a "medley" (I haven't seen such registration in other databases).

"The General and Monsters", though, is not registered as a medley.

Would that imply to you that they’re being treated as a singular track?

1 minute ago, AxlRQ93 said:

Like registered as part of a single or EP

...but then there's no separate registration for Monster and The big G, is there? 

I think this endless debate will end in being in error and a mistake...if a human ultimately manages the database, it's always possible but surely would be amended at some point...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AxlRQ93 said:

I wouldn't think so, since they're clearly two separate songs.

We'll have to wait until December for this mystery to be solved.

5 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Like registered as part of a single or EP

...but then there's no separate registration for Monster and The big G, is there? 

I think this endless debate will end in being in error and a mistake...if a human ultimately manages the database, it's always possible but surely would be amended at some point...

If it's a mistake, it's from Universal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I wouldn't think so, since they're clearly two separate songs.

We'll have to wait until December for this mystery to be solved.

If it's a mistake, it's from Universal.

Yea....well one would assume Axl and the band aren't the most communicative of acts with their labels...certainly compared to most others...this is when errors can happen, like songs being left in jukeboxes and tours being announced without the lead singer knowing etc...

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Can't actually remember but I presume they would be if they're releasing it? 

It's a strange one. If they put both on, it'll be crap. Perhaps they're settling for 'crap' rather than 'very crap'? 

I don't really understand why they're doing it when production of a 12" or a CD would remove the problem and we'd be able to buy it in decent quality. 

Yeah or even a 10" would likely do wonders... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea....well one would assume Axl and the band aren't the most communicative of acts with their labels...certainly compared to most others...this is when errors can happen, like songs being left in jukeboxes and tours being announced without the lead singer knowing etc...

The two tracks leaking together is too much of a coincidence, though. Also Fernando's joke would work only if we were going to hear both songs at the same time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

Maybe the structures, but shacklers sounds way different to me. 

I know they played it twice, the question was do you think there’s more to it? They could’ve just played what leaked. As I said, one can dream I suppose. I will say, they played silkworms live several times, but the official release is different

Forgot about Shackler's, but that one doesn't really count, because the demo we got was a very early working demo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

It’s a reach, but I wouldn’t put it past Axl to have more of it locked away and we’ll only hear it on his watch. I guess we’ll know for sure in another month or so

Bro this is just.... dude they are different songs. its time to accept that. even IF monster was on the vinyl with general(which we already proved impossible cause they cant put both general and monsters on the same side of a 7 inch vinyl.) it would be part of the general. it would be a "secret" song. they are two different songs the general isnt some epic long song and plus, they have musical similarities but they dont even sound like they were written to be one song. 

13 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

My bet is on Monster being a separate song but bonus song. One more month to go and all will be revealed

they cant fit the musc music on one side of a 7 inch vinyl

12 hours ago, vloors said:

I agree as separate song. It was just registered together for the 7 inch

....again... they CAN NOT fit over 9 min worth of music on the 7 inch vinyl. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bangit said:

Good work! Let's hope that Monsters is indeed still on the vinyl as a hidden track. (then released digitally) 

/........ read my other comments.....

Just now, General2112 said:

It would be cool if they did a surprise drop of them on the 15th anniversary of CD

if they wanna re-release CD with some extra stuff im all for that

also just because monsters leaked, people think its gonna be on the vinyl. there is no way, because of limitied space on the 7 inch vinyl, that both monsters and the general are on the B-side. it LITERALLY cant happen. 

you can only fit 4-6 min on one side. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+time+can+fit+on+a+b-side+of+a+7-inch+vinyl&oq=how+much+time+can+fit+on+a+b-side+of+a+7-inch+vinyl&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigAdIBCTEzNzkxajFqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

people need to come to grips with the fact ONLY the general is on the b-side. its IMPOSSIBLE to have both on one side.

Edited by Miden34