THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Happy to help. Without endless loops we wouldn't have a forum! 

Next up: will GNR do the Superbowl or are they concentrating on a song for the new Terminator film? 

My favorite Superbowl fantasy is the one when McCartney was doing the Superbowl and fans speculated that during Live and Let Die, Axl would burst out from under the stage, do the screams, and the crowd would go ape shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

In 30 years I have never heard anyone complaining about the 7" NR. The sound is totally fine and there's no reason why 5 seconds more should make it sound significant worse.

When I post the 7 inch and say LP then I think it should be clear that I mean the 7 inch, which is still a LP in small...

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

The manufacturers and experts clearly have it wrong then. Good to know. 

December Post hurry hurry up! So we can stop talking about the size of our.......

Fucking vinyls....

and get back to debating who played which bend (oh yeah, we never stopped that)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

My favorite Superbowl fantasy is the one when McCartney was doing the Superbowl and fans speculated that during Live and Let Die, Axl would burst out from under the stage, do the screams, and the crowd would go ape shit.

I missed that one. I'm not sure 'ape shit' would have described the crowds reaction. Perhaps 'shat themselves laughing' though? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Well yes, NR 7inch proves it. :lol:

I think the issue here is more from an audiophile perspective.

Does that 7" NR sound as good as an original Dark Side of the Moon or Aja? Unlikely.

Up against a run of the mill vinyl release, I doubt very many would notice much of a difference.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Does that 7" NR sound as good as an original Dark Side of the Moon or Aja? Unlikely.

Up against a run of the mill vinyl release, I doubt very many would notice much of a difference.

Ahh...wasn't sure of what to play tonight, you've just reminded me that I've not played Steely Dan in ages!! Sorted and spinning.

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Yeah, but it doesn't sound nearly as bad as the leaks we got.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

They make good companion songs like Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid but of course they aren’t one song lol. They have their own structures and do not flow as only one track

Also, who cares 

This is a good way to put it, with that Zeppelin example!  Both can easily be connected lyrically, through the orchestral arrangements both being by Marco, etc. but are two distinct songs. 

I am not sure why people are making such dramatic argumentation over this lol or think that it is an either/or situation (that it could only be literally one singular long song, or only two completely unrelated songs that have nothing to do with each other) and not a concept that lies in the middle of it all

My theory, and this can be totally wrong of course, is that The General is part 1 of the story, and Monsters is part 2 which can easily be attached to another vinyl release down the way such as Atlas - to resolve the story

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

The only mystery is in your imagination.

The song finally came out. Enjoy it or don't. If you have to enter fantasy land, at least move on to an unreleased song.

There's no point in posting this anymore. I did it a couple times.  It doesn't change anything. This is on a loop and has been since the announcement.

Someone says it's "literally impossible" for the songs to fit

Someone posts an example proving this wrong

Someone then weighs in saying no one said it was impossible even though there's plenty of examples where people are saying it's impossible. Then a link gets posted about how the sound quality won't be perfect, which we already knew.

Repeat forever.

Great man, good advice, I’ll move onto an unreleased song… ohh I know, how about the general? 

1 hour ago, Slugworth said:

Omg imagine.. Axl fucking ripped those screams in prime form in 2016 every damn time. Haven’t heard the screams in 2023, but it’s always been a shining moment for him even into his later years.

3 minutes ago, Amir said:

I've dug out my old laptop which had the Vienna 2010 afterparty phone leak, and it's interesting seeing how you can now tell it's the "I was there for you" chorus up to 0:18 and the bridge of Monsters matches up with 1:28 to 1:58 of that... but there's a lot that sounds so different? I'm not sure I can hear the "monsters in my head" refrain at any point? And man, those guitars go fucking HARD in that phone leak, the final cut seems neutered in comparison :/ Hopefully we get a leak of that version one day.

:slash2:

30 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Just found out that Gn'R released a new song "The General", watched the video and I have to say, it's a good song.  Suits Axl's current voice perfectly.  Axl also sounds pretty good on that track.  Kudos to them, they managed to work something out after all these years.

Good to see you man!

• Like 2