THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Is that totally official though? I mean, I'm not surprised in the slightest if it is the case. It did certainly look like the intention was for Monsters to be on there originally, hence the registration thing. 

Already confirmation & pics on Reddit.  Single has started to ship.  It is what it is.

• Like 1

Really is bizarre. Doesn't seem to be any strategy here. Where on earth Monsters came from or when it's supposed to come out officially is anyone's guess.

The couple of songs every now and again was fun for a while but as another poster said it isn't a great listening experience. They become worn out so easily when you're so starved for material.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Illusion1987 said:

Why can't they just release a damn album like Metallica, the Stones, RHCP, etc 

They have the songs!

This drip feed approach is torture...for both the fans and the band...WTF?

The problem is, the 1st album from the reunion line up couldn't be rehashed CD tracks - it just couldn't. If there were, say a couple, maybe three songs from CD era and the rest were new compositions, then yeah, cool. But not 6+ tracks. Releasing them as singles, or an EP, is the only plausible way really. HOWEVER, they should have been done much earlier in to the reunion, and at a faster pace.

Put three tracks out as singles, and then a six track EP (inc the three singles). Don't con people, tell everyone exactly what the tracks are, where they're from etc. That would have been my approach. Then roll in to new music (if Axl is capable of recording vocals/remotely interested in releasing anything). 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

I’m starting to think the two songs leaked as a result of a hoarder trade gone wrong(?) where both parties thought they had The General, but one had Monsters (which we all thought was TG).

Yes I think the same, it's the only thing that really makes sense considering Monsters isn't on the Perhaps vinyl and was thought to be The General for years.

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

The CD pressing plant probably had to explain to TB that all the songs go on one side of a CD, and that they can fit three songs on there no problem. :P

Haha! That's obviously a joke.....but only just really! 

3 hours ago, AtlasShrugged said:

Really is bizarre. Doesn't seem to be any strategy here. Where on earth Monsters came from or when it's supposed to come out officially is anyone's guess.

The couple of songs every now and again was fun for a while but as another poster said it isn't a great listening experience. They become worn out so easily when you're so starved for material.

Got to be that vinyl thing. The only thing that makes (slight) sense.

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

In my view it's as I said before - they tried to stuff too much on to a 7" vinyl, it was abysmal quality as a result, and now it's just The General.

Who's have thought it hey?! If only there was some information out there about how much music you can stuff on a vinyl without it sounding garbage....like, say, on the website of the company printing your vinyl? In my opinion this is possibly the most amateur hour yet, if that is what happened. 

Glad we got Monsters though anyway. I can't see it getting a release any time soon, unless it's bunged on the Japanese CD version. 

I have the 7 inch of November Rain and it sounds fine. And that album is 30 years old. This is such a weak excuse to an issue that isn't totally uncommon.

My vinyl of the new Spiritbox EP was just delayed because of the same reason. The quality was not what they wanted and it was a 6 song EP on a 10 inch vinyl. It happens. Be glad they are getting the product correct instead of releasing a bad quality product.

13 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I have the 7 inch of November Rain and it sounds fine. And that album is 30 years old. This is such a weak excuse to an issue that isn't totally uncommon.

My vinyl of the new Spiritbox EP was just delayed because of the same reason. The quality was not what they wanted and it was a 6 song EP on a 10 inch vinyl. It happens. Be glad they are getting the product correct instead of releasing a bad quality product.

Maybe. I mean people are getting what they paid for (perhaps/the general) so can't have too many complaints, but it looks very likely monsters was supposed to be on there. 

Either way, my order for this remains cancelled. They can't organise a piss up in a brewery and I'm glad the songs leaked so I can vote with my my wallet on this one. I don't need a 7" I'll play once or twice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

The problem is, the 1st album from the reunion line up couldn't be rehashed CD tracks - it just couldn't. If there were, say a couple, maybe three songs from CD era and the rest were new compositions, then yeah, cool. But not 6+ tracks. Releasing them as singles, or an EP, is the only plausible way really. HOWEVER, they should have been done much earlier in to the reunion, and at a faster pace.

Put three tracks out as singles, and then a six track EP (inc the three singles). Don't con people, tell everyone exactly what the tracks are, where they're from etc. That would have been my approach. Then roll in to new music (if Axl is capable of recording vocals/remotely interested in releasing anything). 

That doesnt explain why they couldnt have just recorded new songs from the start like most bands do instead of drip feeding mediocre at times CD leftovers.

1 minute ago, vloors said:

That doesnt explain why they couldnt have just recorded new songs from the start like most bands do instead of drip feeding mediocre at times CD leftovers.

The explanation for it seems increasingly to be that they have fuck all. The last drops are being wrung slowly dry. 

Just now, Sweersa said:

That's what she said! :P 

Very good! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

The explanation for it seems increasingly to be that they have fuck all. The last drops are being wrung slowly dry. 

Very good! 

I agree and that Axl cant be fucked recording any new vocals unless its for cartoon shows. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, vloors said:

I agree and that Axl cant be fucked recording any new vocals unless its for cartoon shows. 

He was open to an Axl/DC album, but again he wouldn't have to write anything.

We're getting CD era songs because the lyrics and vocals are already complete, it's really that simple. I wouldn't hold out hope for an actual new album, unless people want something that's mostly instrumental or written by Duff...

I actually wouldn't mind a short album with 3-4 CD leftovers (that they haven't already released), 1-2 Duff songs, 1-2 covers, maybe 1 actual new song, and a long instrumental closing song (like a 10-minute piano driven jam with Slash and Fortus trading solos the whole time).

44 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

We're getting CD era songs because the lyrics and vocals are already complete, it's really that simple. I wouldn't hold out hope for an actual new album, unless people want something that's mostly instrumental or written by Duff...

I actually wouldn't mind a short album with 3-4 CD leftovers (that they haven't already released), 1-2 Duff songs, 1-2 covers, maybe 1 actual new song, and a long instrumental closing song (like a 10-minute piano driven jam with Slash and Fortus trading solos the whole time).

I mean sure....I think we've been worn out over the years, I think we'll sign up for just about anything at this point...maybe the M.O...wear us down with time, for an easy please...

58 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He wouldnt need to write a gnr album either. They could bring in writers if needed and knock out 10 new songs for a LP.

But yeah as always Axl is the only holdup.

Just now, vloors said:

He wouldnt need to write a gnr album either. They could bring in writers if needed and knock out 10 new songs for a LP.

But yeah as always Axl is the only holdup.

The obvious answer is to call Izzy but that's not gonna happen. I think he's too stubborn to hire writers who aren't 'part of the crew' like Arkeen, Huge, etc.

But I agree, hiring songwriters wouldn't be a bad thing.

38 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The obvious answer is to call Izzy but that's not gonna happen. I think he's too stubborn to hire writers who aren't 'part of the crew' like Arkeen, Huge, etc.

Worked for Aerosmith 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It would be a bad thing for me. I wouldn't like them to hire Desmond Child type writers to write generic radio friendly songs for them just to have new music. I'd really take more Absurd's over that :lol:

I'm not so sure he wouldn't call Izzy if he got seriously into the process of making new music.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It would be a bad thing for me. I would like them to hire Desmond Child type writers to write generic radio friendly songs for them just to have new music. I'd really take more Absurd's over that :lol:

I'm not so sure he wouldn't call Izzy if he got seriously into the process of making new music.

I'm not saying they should release their own I Don't Want To Miss A Thing or anything like that, but those 90s Aerosmith albums did have some good songs.

But even if they did call Izzy, would he want anything to do with GNR these days? Will they split the loot? Maybe they'll dig out Down By The Ocean or something, but I don't think any real collaboration will happen again.

• Like 1