THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

The "new leaks" are bullshit.. Perhaps is not even on the same sample rate than the 2 others. And it's totally normal because the original leaks for The General - Monsters were at 48KHz.. like the new leaks.. So for those hearing a new mix and don't know anything about compression, I'm glad you guys don't work as mixing engineers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, kitstuai said:

The "new leaks" are bullshit.. Perhaps is not even on the same sample rate than the 2 others. And it's totally normal because the original leaks for The General - Monsters were at 48KHz.. like the new leaks.. So for those hearing a new mix and don't know anything about compression, I'm glad you guys don't work as mixing engineers

You're probably right this time. I'm not an expert, but it doesn't make sense for Monsters to be Japan exclusive bonus track instead of a live track, for example.

But considering that the other time you insisted that the original leaks of The General and Monsters were demos from the early 2000's, I want to hear more opinions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

But considering that the other time you insisted that the original leaks of The General and Monsters were demos from the early 2000's, I want to hear more opinions.

As much as I'd like them to be Bucket/Robin mixes, the leaked versions sound very much like Slash. Also, from what we can hear, the 2010 Vienna Soul Monster sounds significantly different from a guitar standpoint to the full leak. And I can also hear Axl's "oooooo ooooo" bits more clearly in the 2010 recording as well, which are buried a bit in the leak. 

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

You're probably right this time. I'm not an expert, but it doesn't make sense for Monsters to be Japan exclusive bonus track instead of a live track, for example.

The only reason I said that is because I find it really hard to understand how finished versions from 2 years ago have already leaked out to hoarders. I mean, the last leaks from CD sessions surfaced in 2019, nearly 20 years after they were recorded, and we would have some final versions from 2 years or less? Anyway we will have our answer very soon, and I'm looking forward to hear it lossless. I don't want to mess with the fans, as long as the song is good I don't really care who's playing on it 

13 minutes ago, D.. said:

Yeah I don't hear anything different with Monsters. I don't think Monsters will be a japanese cd as a bonus track, feels like a hoax.

“Monsters” will certainly get an official release at some point… I don’t see Slash/Duff putting effort into something that never actually does.

Anyways, great to hear it again, such an awesome Guns track. :headbang:

15 hours ago, Caedo said:

For anyone wanting to hear the version played on Japanese radio to my ears it sounds exactly the same. I’m pretty confident they just played the leak version - potentially by accident if someone had sent it to them and requested it.

I can’t believe Axl would put out a song with vocals that distorted and we have no evidence anyone has actually received the vinyl or CD.

The leak is the final version, Axl absolutely would release a song with vocals that distorted, and GNR France posted pics of their vinyl days ago.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The leak is the final version, Axl absolutely would release a song with vocals that distorted, and GNR France posted pics of their vinyl days ago.

I agree. And I am not really sure why people are so certain that “it CAN’T be final mix” because of the purposely distorted vocals. That is how Axl wanted it to be. It isn’t an accident or “placeholder” vocals just because someone wishes it didn’t have the distortion. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I agree. And I am not really sure why people are so certain that “it CAN’T be final mix” because of the purposely distorted vocals. That is how Axl wanted it to be. It isn’t an accident or “placeholder” vocals just because someone wishes it didn’t have the distortion. 

Oh My God had distortion, a few lines in Perhaps did as well. But they were not unintelligible. Maybe the low quality of the leaks (from a rip standpoint, or perhaps intentional manipulation of the source) compounds the intended distortion to make it nearly impossible for most to actually hear what Axl is saying. 

In other words, hopefully the CD/high res and high bit rate MP3 versions of the official versions can be comprehended. 

18 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

what does "throwing a song away" entail? Never listening to it again? Why would the platform change whether somebody likes a song or not.

Like I said, Perhaps would have never gotten the attention it did in 2023 if it were released as just another track on CD. It would have never gotten a video, either.

Perhaps died within a week. it had like 4m youtube views and trended. 2 months later it's barely changed and people moved on. that's throwing a song away. If that song was immediately followed by another then another then an album it wouldnt have. If you give people an album they move onto the next song on that album and the next etc, then they go back to the song they loved at first and the cycle continues. You release songs one every few years they fall off a cliff and you forget about the band. you have them in an album you're continually eating those M&Ms

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

18 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Oh My God had distortion, a few lines in Perhaps did as well. But they were not unintelligible. Maybe the low quality of the leaks (from a rip standpoint, or perhaps intentional manipulation of the source) compounds the intended distortion to make it nearly impossible for most to actually hear what Axl is saying. 

In other words, hopefully the CD/high res and high bit rate MP3 versions of the official versions can be comprehended. 

Which part is unintelligible? People have made out most of the lyrics. 

Back in the day, people didn't understand a lot of lyrics in OMG. There was one of the transcriptions that had some stuff in brackets that were never in the song at all, but yet that was the one that was in every single lyrics site I've came across back then. And it had some weird stuff like "believe you're a bad jump". 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Which part is unintelligible? People have made out most of the lyrics. 

I would say about half of what Axl sings that's not in his slower, clean voice. The first time I played it for my GF at the time, she couldn't understand much either. Maybe it will be better with a lyric video. As I read what people have said the lyrics are, then listen, it makes more sense but initially, required a lot of effort to listen, and even then I can get like 75% of it, if that. 

The whole thing is ironic too, as evader's fan-made version was understandably unintelligible as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Back in the day, people didn't understand a lot of lyrics in OMG. There was one of the transcriptions that had some stuff in brackets that were never in the song at all, but yet that was the one that was in every single lyrics site I've came across back then. And it had some weird stuff like "believe you're a bad jump". 

I suppose it was like that for some of the CD songs as well, and Hard Skool. When Axl would sing AC/DC, some of it didn't come out clearly when he would sing in his "high rasp" so maybe that element is at play as well. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1