THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

22 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Get better headphones sweetheart

I have got some sweet open-back cans and closed-back, as well as a modestly decent monitor setup for my own mixing projects, this official release is the same mix as the leak :)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I have no connections and no insight, but, I'm pretty confident that we'll see Atlas & Monsters next year, at some point.  After that?  Unclear, the future is.

“Atlas” has the potential to be a damn good track, it needs some tweaking for sure, but I can’t imagine them not giving it attention cause it’s practically a finished product.

I honestly thought “Monsters” as a hidden track for TG would’ve been fantastic… there’s a duality there that just uplifts both of them musically and thematically… oh well, ‘tis just a dream now. :facepalm:

With that being said, they shouldn’t wait too terribly long, the interest will most definitely wane… January/February would be prime time to do so… Green Day’s got an album coming, plus there’s rumblings of more Stones stuff, Paul McCartney dropping another album, and Springsteen releasing vol. 2 of his covers album. 

1 minute ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

“Atlas” has the potential to be a damn good track, it needs some tweaking for sure, but I can’t imagine them not giving it attention cause it’s practically a finished product.

I honestly thought “Monsters” as a hidden track for TG would’ve been fantastic… there’s a duality there that just uplifts both of them musically and thematically… oh well, ‘tis just a dream now. :facepalm:

With that being said, they shouldn’t wait too terribly long, the interest will most definitely wane… January/February would be prime time to do so… Green Day’s got an album coming, plus there’s rumblings of more Stones stuff, Paul McCartney dropping another album, and Springsteen releasing vol. 2 of his covers album. 

I appreciate your optimism, but, I think that release schedule might be a bit too ambitious for this band.

I'll say late Spring/early Summer, May-June...just my uneducated guess.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Monsters is believed to be Soul Monster, which was heard at the 2010 Vienna after-party loaded with members of the band and random hot bitches, and some fans, that song was mistakenly thought to be The General.

The General and Soul Monster (Monsters, most likely) are two separate songs.  Why they were registered as one, that's a good question, but they clearly are not based on the officially released The General, and the live performances.

Not random bitches lol, selected women. Probably by the polish millionaire who owns the club & Fashion TV. He was there that night trying to shill his own brand of Vodka.

I hate to say i think I was right (but i think i was right) people uploading clips and versions of Monster's back when we thought it was The General had the song pulled for being 'The general' (which we now know it wasn't) having them under the same trademark means they could pull the song under the name we thought it was without giving away what it actually was. At least i think so, i can think of no other reason they would be tied together like that. Beltrami said when someone contacted him from this board that they were separate pieces of music when he worked on them. That's good enough for me.

• Like 2

Just now, oneway23 said:

I appreciate your optimism, but, I think that release schedule might be a bit too ambitious for this band.

I'll say late Spring/early Summer, May-June...just my uneducated guess.

I‘ve sadly conceded to the notion that they won’t release anything without some tour dates to “promote” and given Slash n Duff’s intentions for ‘24, you’re probably right… Summer or Fall if at all.

It’s a damn shame, though, that they built up so much momentum with “Perhaps” (jukebox debacle included) and just can’t keep on a linear path… 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I have no connections and no insight, but, I'm pretty confident that we'll see Atlas & Monsters next year, at some point.  After that?  Unclear, the future is.

Like a Christmas present every year...Perhap Vinyl today can be the start...I'd sign up for that...cause honestly it's better than 2008-2021 the years of nothing official! Now that Monsters is out there, hopefully they don't wait too long and put It with Atlas! Or better still, something we don't have and don't tease it or get our Spidey investigative journalist senses tingling, surprise release it, so that we can get a fresh nob-leaked and massively convoluted, that be a fine thing for a change....but hey, in reality, it's always gonna be like this.

Us = extremely hungry and starved...

Them = born in a barn and will never learn to close doors, hence plugging leaks. 

There was a post recently about, what would you do if you were suddenly put in charge of GNR...I know my first move. Hire a fucking plumber! 

2 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Not random bitches lol, selected women. Probably by the polish millionaire who owns the club & Fashion TV. He was there that night trying to shill his own brand of Vodka.

I hate to say i think I was right (but i think i was right) people uploading clips and versions of Monster's back when we thought it was The General had the song pulled for being 'The general' (which we now know it wasn't) having them under the same trademark means they could pull the song under the name we thought it was without giving away what it actually was. At least i think so, i can think of no other reason they would be tied together like that. Beltrami said when someone contacted him from this board that they were separate pieces of music when he worked on them. That's good enough for me.

My gut is telling me they tacked “Monsters” onto TG at the end for the vinyl (hence why both tracks leaked on the cancelled release date), and then realized how shitty an almost 10-minute track would sound on a 7-inch spinning at 45RPM… don’t know why that would interfere with releasing them digitally, but oh well…

But like my brother (another vinyl enthusiast) suggested, they could’ve easily made “Perhaps” a 10-inch single, and have all three tracks on it.

Or hell, make a whole dang EP of these songs plus “Atlas” and whatever else may have been given the “NITL lineup” treatment. 

• Like 1

I pose this to anyone who is anticipating receipt of the “Perhaps” vinyl: would you have rather had the cover art from “TG” or the 8-ball they went with?

It’s still very intriguing to me that a B-side was given its own very distinctive cover art… 

Edited by GNRRHCP98

1 hour ago, LlamaRenegade said:

Lyrics from Apple Music:

Daddy, don't
I swear I won't
I'll be good from now on
And I'm awful sorry

Daddy, don't
The hell I won't
I won't be good anymore
And you'll all be sorry

Can anybody tell me why the pain, it just won't stop?
Can anybody help me? This pain, it just won't stop

My only regret
Is that I never took the time to forget
All those unspoken feelings
That were never spent
On those who understand that love deserves respect
And not your sordid meaning

Daddy, don't
I swear I won't
I'll be good from now on
And I'm awful sorry

Daddy, don't
The hell I won't
I won't be good anymore
And you'll all be sorry

My only regret
That were never spent

Don't know what to tell you now
It's never really what they tell you now
You ought to know what they tell you now
Not really what they tell you now
It ain't really what they tell you now

My only regret
That were never spent

I never ever took the time to forget

My Amazon music shows

"And not disordered meaning"  as the last line?!?

1 hour ago, LlamaRenegade said:

Lyrics from Apple Music:

Daddy, don't
I swear I won't
I'll be good from now on
And I'm awful sorry

Daddy, don't
The hell I won't
I won't be good anymore
And you'll all be sorry

My only regret
That were never spent

Daddy, don't
I swear I won't
I'll be good from now on
And I'm awful sorry

Daddy, don't
The hell I won't
I won't be good anymore
And you'll all be sorry

My only regret
That were never spent

It's never really what they tell you now
You ought to know what they tell you now
Not really what they tell you now

My only regret
That were never spent

I never ever took the time to forget

My Amazon music shows

"And not disordered meaning"  as the last line?!?

10 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Not because i expect it, because it makes no sense to wait another 2 years to release another 2 songs. Why? We know they are there. We already have them in near final form. Why not just release them? it's just ridiculous. All momentum will long since be lost once more then there'll be a random drop which goes unnoticed. they could have easily put those 6 songs on an ep in 2021. maybe throw in a cover of the seeker and witchita lineman. it's just so sad how shit they are. 30 years of this.

Agreed. “The General” doesn’t even seem new to me anymore ‘cause I listened a hundred times since it leaked..

• Like 1

Official press release

LOS ANGELES, CA December 8, 2023-- Today, Guns N’ Roses debuted their new single titled, “The General” via Geffen Records.

LISTEN HERE: https://gunsnroses.lnk.to/TheGeneralPresave

“The General” stands out as the band’s second release of 2023, following their summer single “Perhaps”. Guns N’ Roses initially debuted “The General” to a sold-out hometown audience during their two-night stand at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, CA. Since then, fans have anxiously awaited the official arrival of “The General.”

Last month, Guns N’ Roses concluded their blockbuster 2023 world tour, which sold 1.3 million tickets around the world. The tour marked the band’s largest run to date and consisted of acclaimed performances across European stadiums and arenas. Their run included headlining festivals including Glastonbury and London’s Hyde Park. The band’s North American leg included sold-out performances at historic venues such as the Hollywood Bowl and MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, as well as a co-headlining performance at Power Trip in Indio with AC/DC & Metallica.

Around the world, the band’s shows have only gotten bigger and bolder. The group’s now-legendary three-hour-plus sets have evolved with sought-after fan favorites in addition to newly dusted-off gems from their back catalog, leaving ardent audiences in awe.

ABOUT GUNS N’ ROSES

Embedded in popular culture, Guns N’ Roses’ landmark diamond-selling 1987 opus, Appetite For Destruction, stands out as “the best-selling U.S. debut album ever” and “the 11th best-selling U.S. album of all time.” Following its release, Guns N’ Roses shook the world with the one-two punch of the over 7x-platinum Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II, clinching the top two spots on Billboard’s Top 200 Albums chart upon arrival. With total sales of 100 million units thus far, their catalog also consists of G N’ R Lies (5x-platinum), The Spaghetti Incident? (platinum), Greatest Hits (5x-platinum), and Chinese Democracy (over 6 million worldwide). Not to mention, they are one of the most-streamed rock bands in the world with an average of 27 million monthly listeners on Spotify. The band’s Not In This Lifetime… Tour ranked as the “fourth-highest grossing concert tour of all time,” selling 5 million-plus tickets and included a headline performance at Coachella. Guns N’ Roses never stop with more touring on the horizon and other surprises—the “Nightrain” keeps rolling at full speed. 

Guns N’ Roses are Axl Rose (vocals, keyboards), Duff McKagan (bass), Slash (lead guitar), Dizzy Reed (keyboard), Richard Fortus (rhythm guitar), Frank Ferrer (drums), and Melissa Reese (keyboard).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Official press release

LOS ANGELES, CA December 8, 2023-- Today, Guns N’ Roses debuted their new single titled, “The General” via Geffen Records.

LISTEN HERE: https://gunsnroses.lnk.to/TheGeneralPresave

“The General” stands out as the band’s second release of 2023, following their summer single “Perhaps”. Guns N’ Roses initially debuted “The General” to a sold-out hometown audience during their two-night stand at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, CA. Since then, fans have anxiously awaited the official arrival of “The General.”

Last month, Guns N’ Roses concluded their blockbuster 2023 world tour, which sold 1.3 million tickets around the world. The tour marked the band’s largest run to date and consisted of acclaimed performances across European stadiums and arenas. Their run included headlining festivals including Glastonbury and London’s Hyde Park. The band’s North American leg included sold-out performances at historic venues such as the Hollywood Bowl and MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, as well as a co-headlining performance at Power Trip in Indio with AC/DC & Metallica.

Around the world, the band’s shows have only gotten bigger and bolder. The group’s now-legendary three-hour-plus sets have evolved with sought-after fan favorites in addition to newly dusted-off gems from their back catalog, leaving ardent audiences in awe.

ABOUT GUNS N’ ROSES

Embedded in popular culture, Guns N’ Roses’ landmark diamond-selling 1987 opus, Appetite For Destruction, stands out as “the best-selling U.S. debut album ever” and “the 11th best-selling U.S. album of all time.” Following its release, Guns N’ Roses shook the world with the one-two punch of the over 7x-platinum Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II, clinching the top two spots on Billboard’s Top 200 Albums chart upon arrival. With total sales of 100 million units thus far, their catalog also consists of G N’ R Lies (5x-platinum), The Spaghetti Incident? (platinum), Greatest Hits (5x-platinum), and Chinese Democracy (over 6 million worldwide). Not to mention, they are one of the most-streamed rock bands in the world with an average of 27 million monthly listeners on Spotify. The band’s Not In This Lifetime… Tour ranked as the “fourth-highest grossing concert tour of all time,” selling 5 million-plus tickets and included a headline performance at Coachella. Guns N’ Roses never stop with more touring on the horizon and other surprises—the “Nightrain” keeps rolling at full speed. 

Guns N’ Roses are Axl Rose (vocals, keyboards), Duff McKagan (bass), Slash (lead guitar), Dizzy Reed (keyboard), Richard Fortus (rhythm guitar), Frank Ferrer (drums), and Melissa Reese (keyboard).

What a garbage press release. Doesn’t mention any history of the song and it’s obviously done on purpose to mask it as a “brand new” composition. 

• Like 1

OK.  My thoughts:

It is still a good song - would have fit on Chinese democracy, some of the same moods as Sorry

the mix - Must listen again but felt that the leaked mix had a better punch when the drum and guitar came in before chorus. Maybe cleaner and softer mix/master officially

I think the leak including Monsters was intentional, also based on the wording from Fernando - The general is a monster! He knew that the anticipation was HUGE for this song, but the song we thought were the General was Monsters (soul monster) Based on reactions it was a good thing, because most people dig Monsters and are more skeptical to the General. 

It is a perfect B-side. Great and interesting song, not for everyone and not for the general (!?) public 

Just listened to both the leak and official release in the car and can’t hear any changes people are pointing out, my speakers ain’t crap either. The biggest disappointment in all of this is Monsters just being ignored “officialy”.

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Man, now that it's officially out I'm convinced this is recorded in 2006. Must be an old demo mixed and mastered.

I'd doubt that 100% with the recording credits , vocals maybe, the actual music is new apart from pitman's bits

9 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Dude, fuck off. I don’t mind hearing your opinion that YOU don’t like it. But what’s the elitist bullshit about, that everyone has to share your opinion? I’m not lying to myself or you when I say I like the song. 

Same here, nobody's telling me i Don't like it ...people crying about monsters not being released as a 'hidden single' ...what's stopping you listening to what was leaked? Sounds a finished track to me 

Enjoy them or don't play them, it ain't difficult...even some simpletons on reddit understand