Opinions on the leaked songs

Opionions on The General and Monsters?  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First time listen, both was a dissappointment. But after few listens I appreciate the Monsters track. General not so much.

Just now, Ugly_Kid_Jose said:

where can i heard them?

Youtube. But at least Monsters seems to have been removed already but I bet someone will upload it again pretty soon.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

He still got pretty close, all things considered.

As far as the structure/arrangement, indeed.

But I don't know how people thought that the actual lyrics were deciphered from that phone clip. I kind of "predicted" this a while ago (that there would be people who would think that the song has new lyrics, because they believed Evader's lyrics to be the real ones the whole time).

• Like 2

Monsters is great lyrically. The melody in the chorus threw me off because it wasn't the style I was expecting from the beginning of the song but I enjoy it now. 7/10

The General is amazing. One of the darkest songs Axl's ever done and he puts everything into his performance. The melodies are creepy but catchy. 9.5/10

• Like 1

I'm not voting, because there are no middle ground options (it's either "rocks" or "sucks") and also because I want to reserve final judgement until I hear a proper, clear version.

As is, The General is not my thing. I appreciate that Axl touched this subject in the lyrics and there are some good ideas, but it could be better. Monsters, I like. It has great groove, love Axl's vocals and Slash's guitar work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Part of me wonders if the record and potential digital releases were delayed due to having a song called Monsters being released on Halloween weekend with the subject matter covering child abuse and sexual assault. Pretty serious statement pieces from Axl, could see wanting to avoid any connections to Halloween. 

Musically, these are thick songs. Like TWAT, Prostitute, Sorry, etc. they’re absolutely loaded with guitars, strings and a wall of sound. There is a great mix of the styles and elements Axl was going for across CD - cinematic epics, hip hop inspired beats, tons of vocal styles. All combined with Slash bringing his A game. Great stuff albeit a bit dated. 

Axl has very few songs that showcase him as an introspective lyricist, these ones do. Particularly Monsters.  As a combined song they’re one of Axl’s best efforts post-UYI.