"Monsters"="Soul Monster": new information from Marco Beltrami leaves no room for doubt

1 minute ago, evader said:

I'd be curious to know "how" Kaneda heard it. Odds are he heard something over the phone as bait. And I know my clip is raw sewage, but by October 24, 2017, I had quit working on it. It was 2 minutes and 30 seconds long, and I suspect could have fooled many people under the right circumstances. And I wasn't the only one with my clip.

I assumed Kaneda just had the cell clip. He got pissed off one time in like 2017 or so and posted on here asking if he could leak 2 minutes of the song. Well, the cell clip is 2 minutes

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, evader said:

I'd be curious to know "how" Kaneda heard it. Odds are he heard something over the phone as bait. And I know my clip is raw sewage, but by October 24, 2017, I had quit working on it. It was 2 minutes and 30 seconds long, and I suspect could have fooled many people under the right circumstances. And I wasn't the only one with my clip.

no i had it too. Don't think i got Silkworms to maybe a year later though. Wasn't raw sewage Fernando's comment on it? lol

7 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I assumed Kaneda just had the cell clip. He got pissed off one time in like 2017 or so and posted on here asking if he could leak 2 minutes of the song. Well, the cell clip is 2 minutes

It would probably be best just to ask @Kaneda what he remembers about what he had/heard. Probably not a huge problem for him to divulge an extra detail or two, 6 years later.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I’m pretty sure that both @Mindray11’s recording and @evader’s reconstruction of “The General” (Monsters) were hoarded for a few years (probably between 2011/12 and 2018 when they were shared).

I think I sent it to MSL in 2013-15 maybe? Can't remember.

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I guess @Mindray11 , who recorded it, can answer that. I'm sure he has explained it before.

I gave that thing to MSL because I thought 'Oh well, fuck it, cut it a few minutes and let's see what happens'. I have no idea what happened after that, except him answering that he couldn't hear much and he didn't know the song.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mindray11 said:

I think I sent it to MSL in 2013-15 maybe? Can't remember.

I gave that thing to MSL because I thought 'Oh well, fuck it, cut it a few minutes and let's see what happens'. I have no idea what happened after that, except him answering that he couldn't hear much and he didn't know the song.

Thanks! Do you remember by any chance if what you heard was only Monsters or it was both The General and Monsters?

4 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I’m pretty sure that both @Mindray11’s recording and @evader’s reconstruction of “The General” (Monsters) were hoarded for a few years (probably between 2011/12 and 2018 when they were shared).

My fake vocals seem to have been last modified in late February of 2018. Any edits after that were minimal. I won't be divulging when I first received the cellphone clip.

On 11/1/2023 at 2:38 PM, Voodoochild said:

I posted this on the main thread, but this is maybe the place where it belongs. It gives additional context to what Beltrami said.

So yeah, me and @Blackstar were talking about The General and Monsters orchestral pieces played before the concerts. I'm not 100% sure, as it may have occurred one time or another, but I tried to find Monsters orchestra piece in several 2006 bootlegs, and could never find it. It was always just The General. Here my early findings:

- The General piece was played before concerts in 2009/10, but it was mostly used in 2006/07. I played guitar along with that in two recordings (not sure from which shows those were), and it seemed that the orchestra is a bit shorter than the leak, and it looped back to the beginning. It has a similar secondary melody (I assume those were horns?) in the ending that resembles the first few notes that Slash plays in the beginning of his outro solo. 

Could not find video for a more complete recording, but here's a reminder of how The General sounded:

- Monters orchestral piece wasn't played together with The General, as far as I could find. I wasn't able to find any instance of it being played before 2010. This is one example:

- Our conclusion is: The General orchestra was the whole song, but shorter. It was probably never played together with the Monsters part, but we all (yeah, me included) assumed those pieces were mixed together and was the same thing because of how similar they sound.

Damn, this "switcheroo" is so fascinating. Who would have thought the intros belonged to completely different songs. I must say I really dig Beltrami's work & hope it gets featured more prominently in the final mixes. 🙏

Edited by Gaanzer
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 11/1/2023 at 8:38 AM, Voodoochild said:

I posted this on the main thread, but this is maybe the place where it belongs. It gives additional context to what Beltrami said.

So yeah, me and @Blackstar were talking about The General and Monsters orchestral pieces played before the concerts. I'm not 100% sure, as it may have occurred one time or another, but I tried to find Monsters orchestra piece in several 2006 bootlegs, and could never find it. It was always just The General. Here my early findings:

- The General piece was played before concerts in 2009/10, but it was mostly used in 2006/07. I played guitar along with that in two recordings (not sure from which shows those were), and it seemed that the orchestra is a bit shorter than the leak, and it looped back to the beginning. It has a similar secondary melody (I assume those were horns?) in the ending that resembles the first few notes that Slash plays in the beginning of his outro solo. 

Could not find video for a more complete recording, but here's a reminder of how The General sounded:

- Monters orchestral piece wasn't played together with The General, as far as I could find. I wasn't able to find any instance of it being played before 2010. This is one example:

- Our conclusion is: The General orchestra was the whole song, but shorter. It was probably never played together with the Monsters part, but we all (yeah, me included) assumed those pieces were mixed together and was the same thing because of how similar they sound. 

Kudos to you Voodoo and @Blackstar for this 

I have some of the intros that are no longer on YT that i downloaded in 2019, the orchestrations are different (although confusingly similar) and they were never played together as a mashup as far as i could find or remember now

I think that what also happened (at least in most cases) is that we got so used to Evader's version that we never really got back to properly analyze the "intro". I was planning to do it this weekend because as i said, to me, it was the only big mystery remaining but i'm sure we already have the conclusion  :thumbsup:, and i can finally get rid of those files lol 

• Thanks 1

Btw it leaked on this date, i didn't had an account but i started lurking here when the reunion was imminent and then i definitely remember this. It was 2018. Not to say that i don't believe that some people heard it before, i do believe that there's maybe people out there with very juicy CD material on their hands. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

Kudos to you Voodoo and @Blackstar for this 

I have some of the intros that are no longer on YT that i downloaded in 2019, the orchestrations are different (although confusingly similar) and they were never played together as a mashup as far as i could find or remember now

I think that what also happened (at least in most cases) is that we got so used to Evader's version that we never really got back to properly analyze the "intro". I was planning to do it this weekend because as i said, to me, it was the only big mystery remaining but i'm sure we already have the conclusion  :thumbsup:, and i can finally get rid of those files lol 

No man, please, send those to me. I would like to compare Monsters with it, because I didn't find much of it on YouTube. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxlRQ93 said:

@Blackstar even though the general and monsters are registered as one work, could they still be released as separate songs? sorta like Another Brick in the Wall Pt.’s 1 & 2? 

Yes, that's how I reckon they could be released, as separate songs but consisting  a Pt. 1 and Pt. 2, so they would have to be released together as a pair and not, for example, as b-sides on two different singles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

No man, please, send those to me. I would like to compare Monsters with it, because I didn't find much of it on YouTube. 

Sure no worries, i actually started deleting those last week because i just recently discovered that  GunsNRosesFan_☆☆ channel on YT (i don’t know how the hell its still up there) with a ton of 2006 bootlegs and figured out that most of them might be there now but as a part of those longer videos, and yeah one seems to be from MSG and another one from Florida, however now that i checked, i couldn’t find on YT a couple ones (including Monsters) that i’m yet to delete, check your pms

15 hours ago, metalavenger99 said:

Sure no worries, i actually started deleting those last week because i just recently discovered that  GunsNRosesFan_☆☆ channel on YT (i don’t know how the hell its still up there) with a ton of 2006 bootlegs and figured out that most of them might be there now but as a part of those longer videos, and yeah one seems to be from MSG and another one from Florida, however now that i checked, i couldn’t find on YT a couple ones (including Monsters) that i’m yet to delete, check your pms

Well, thanks to you, there's this one recording that do merge Monsters with The General. But in that order.

I've uploaded it here with just the recording I want to talk about: https://go.wetransfer.com/t-ytf6dc9XRo

Funny enough, Monster's orchestral doesn't have the chorus of the leaked version. And the "merge" is just that it ends (at 1:22) and soon after (1:24), it starts The General piece.

So yeah, at some point, both tracks were played, but it wasn't in the order we thought and definitely it wasn't easy for us to pick up both were different songs at all. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Well, thanks to you, there's this one recording that do merge Monsters with The General. But in that order.

I've uploaded it here with just the recording I want to talk about: https://go.wetransfer.com/t-ytf6dc9XRo

Funny enough, Monster's orchestral doesn't have the chorus of the leaked version. And the "merge" is just that it ends (at 1:22) and soon after (1:24), it starts The General piece.

So yeah, at some point, both tracks were played, but it wasn't in the order we thought and definitely it wasn't easy for us to pick up both were different songs at all. :) 

Which gig is this from?

20 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

You’re really going to waste a minute of your life doing this? Why? Who gives a shit about some crappy orchestrations for songs that suck. Is this what your life has been reduced to? Go out and get laid! 

29 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

You’re really going to waste a minute of your life doing this? Why? Who gives a shit about some crappy orchestrations for songs that suck. Is this what your life has been reduced to? Go out and get laid! 

You went out of your way to reply and wasted time of your life complaining about him doing that, is that any better lmao you should take your own advice

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Amir said:

Which gig is this from?

42 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Not sure. Do you remember, @metalavenger99?

I don't have any idea actually, i just got it a couple of years ago or maybe even during the quarantine year, as "The General (New Version)" and it didn't said anything on the metadata. But no one was faking these back then. Everybody already had the Evader version which was very clear and these clips used to be everywhere. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Transfer is gone...could anybody help me out with the Monsters-TheGeneral merge ?

Edited by avahland
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

Y’all sound so stupid. 14 years is a better song than all this crap.  Can this band just get in the studio again and write another great rocker with G C D chords or what? Again, y’all sound so stupid! 

Waka waka waka 

• Haha 1